FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this ammo in a 45 tactical? I bought some and my gun was jamming every round.

I am a new owner so I haven't tried any ammo besides this specific type and I was just wondering if the tactical was picky on the type of ammo used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just worry. I bought it from Cope's and it almost seemed like it was used(and cleaned). There were already wear marks on the barrel, the magazine had marks on it, and the sights paint was slightly worn. Nothing significant but enough to just make me wonder. I attributed it to FN testing the tactical before shipment but now I'm worried it was a customer return.

I do realize Monarch is not great but it's worked in all the guns I have used.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
How much is Monarchammo? You can buy Federal Champion WM5233 for as low as $17 for a box of 50. It is Federal American Eagle just repackeged and I believe it was origonally repackaged specifically for Walmart. Hence the WM designation. Its good target ammo for a good price.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I shoot Monarch regularly. I also stock up on this ammo for range sessions. Usually cost $18 per box of 50 rounds. Fires fine out of the FNX 45T.

The ammo is from Prvi Partizan, I believe. Should be decent for your regular shooting session.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Also, from your description in post #4 it sounds like a second hand gun. Wonder if someone else may have had issues and sold it. Try a few different ammos and see if you have better luck.

I bought a second hand FNX-40. When I asked the guy at Arnzen to inspect it for me he said what I was thinking. My gun had probably never been fired bar the test shot at FN. Mine used gun, 1.5 years old according to the serial number code and shipping label on the case, was flawless.

·
Registered
148 Posts
@little_scrapper: No worries on your comment. :smile: The reason I shoot this ammo is because it goes on sale at times for .28 cents per round, $14 per box of 50 rounds. At these times, I stock up on the ammo and shoot it when putting trigger time on my guns. I've had good luck with this ammo, and it's usually not as dirty as other bigger name brands that I've shot. Nothing special here, just trying to save on cost where I can. Save a little here, spend a little extra there kind of deal.

@01grander: I'm using 230grain ball ammo. I've attached an image to better show you which one below.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for not responding sooner but my week has been ridiculously busy.

I used 2 mags with the same results. I am planning on taking it by the range tomorrow morning and see how it preforms with the 3rd mag and different ammo.

Cope's said they would take it back but I'm just going to try with different ammo. I'm not thrilled that some people can use this ammo and others cannot......seems like a QC issue with tolerances.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
@little_scrapper: No worries on your comment. :smile: The reason I shoot this ammo is because it goes on sale at times for .28 cents per round, $14 per box of 50 rounds. At these times, I stock up on the ammo and shoot it when putting trigger time on my guns. I've had good luck with this ammo, and it's usually not as dirty as other bigger name brands that I've shot. Nothing special here, just trying to save on cost where I can. Save a little here, spend a little extra there kind of deal.

@01grander: I'm using 230grain ball ammo. I've attached an image to better show you which one below.

I actually saw the 230gr but I was hoping that the cheap HP's would be alright. I figured these would perform better than RN if I ever needed them for defensive purposes and ran out of my normal defensive HP's.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
What sorts of jams? Feeding issue? Extracting issues? Ejection issues?

If it's feeding issue, then does the gun jam up with the bullet nose caught on the feed ramp? The cartridge couldn't quite clear the feed lips?

If it's ejection issue, then maybe a stove pipe type jam?

It's tough to decipher the problem without in depth descriptions and photos.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Being that this is a combat pistol, I think it should work with ANY SD ammunition. Try some other brands of ammunition both ball and HP. If it still balks, consider returning the pistol or sending It back to FN for service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What sorts of jams? Feeding issue? Extracting issues? Ejection issues?

If it's feeding issue, then does the gun jam up with the bullet nose caught on the feed ramp? The cartridge couldn't quite clear the feed lips?

If it's ejection issue, then maybe a stove pipe type jam?

It's tough to decipher the problem without in depth descriptions and photos.
Sorry, I should have specified. It isn't working with all of the mags and its a feeding issue. It's jamming right at the feed ramp(?). It did consistently work with the RN but not the HP. Like the poster after you said, it's a combat pistol and it's somewhat expensive. It shouldn't have an issue with any 45 ammo that is within specs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts