FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has tried the Monarch Blue Box ammo from Academy Sports? It is steel cased like the Wolf ammo, but appears to be laquer coated instead of poly coated. the 9MM currently sells for $7.89/box.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I don't really care for it. And, on various forums, I've read mixed stuff - some people claim its underpowered. Some have had feeding issues. I shot a box or two maybe 3 years ago. I think I didn't like it because I was getting a face full of powder when shooting it at an indoor range.

I like CCI Blazer in 9mm at academy. Now, their 45 Blazer is WAY too damn high. I just bought a 45 and I went to buy some Blazer - $19.99 at Academy! For 50.

Wal-Mart has WWB in 45 for $29 for 100. I had to sink back to WWB for my 45 needs. But in 9mm, I love Blazer!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also shoot a lot of the CCI Blazer and WWB, but they both continue to go up in price. Most of my trips to the range now consist of 50 rounds of 9MM CCI Blazer thru my S & W 3913 (will now use my FNP-9M as well), 50 rounds of 38 reloads thru my Marlin lever action, then 200-250 rounds of 22LR thru my P22. Just looking for economical ways to be able to keep shooting.

I bought a Saiga 7.62 x 39 about a month ago for the same reason: shoots cheap ammo and is lots of fun.

I picked up 2 boxes of the Monarch Blue Box 9MM last week, so I will give it a try Saturday. I know it will shoot in the 3913, but not sure about the FNP.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I shot a box of the Monarch Blue Box in 9MM Saturday. Has a strange chemical smell and is dirty. Also, some rounds seemed more powerful than others.

After this experiment I have decided to stick with name brand 9MM, since I can get WWB at Wal Mart for $18.42/100 and CCI Blazer at Academy for $9.99/50. I also have several boxes of S & B, UMC and Federal in my cache that I can fall back on.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have you noticed any issues with the UMC? When I shoot it out of my Browning Pro 40 some times the gun doesn't go into single action. It falls back into double action, like it wasn't cocked all the way upon recoil. I thought maybe the gun was giving me problems, because it was doing it about once per mag, but a box of federal proved that wrong.

The UMC I have may or may not be factory seconds. I got a whole bunch of it dirt cheap from a friend. So I think its just an issue with this lot of ammo. Hell, it might even work fine in my other FNP's maybe just the Browning is sensitive to it with the different FCG.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't shot any of the UMC recently, but don't remember any problems in the past. I have shot it thru my S & W 3913 9MM and S & W Sigma 40 with no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts