FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I don't take youtubers word on anything, but it is getting annoying to hear some claims from them. Such as tim here at the 9:00 minute mark. Says they are unreliable in service and many units are not choosing to field them anymore. Granted I was not SF and nor do I know anyone in it, but I have also haven't seen anything to back up what he is saying either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know nothing, but someone who did complete multiple tours said those rifles were issued overseas to those deployed and when the next group of soldiers rotated out the same abused gun would go to the next guy, without ever being sent back for service. True or not or ? But easy to believe

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Similar BS claims the 16s is no longer available. Odd then that FN America would include it in their 2020 catalog, just plain odd. What's odd'er still is the FN Herstal website updated for 2020 shows the 16s, it's simply redonculous, I mean seriously doesn't FN America and parent FN Herstal keep up with social media? What is this world coming to when YouTubers can't be believed? I thought EVERYTHING one reads or sees on the internet was the gospel truth...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
MAC never liked the SCAR, and that's pretty evident in all of his videos with it. That's fine, to each their own, but it does tend to color everything they say about it. "X unit hates SCARs" is an old enough trope that it predates the weapon's adoption by several militaries, so I tend to take it with a grain of salt.

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
Well, I do know an officer that has done multiple tours in the sandbox and he told me his guys will pick the 17, with a 13" barrel, over the MK110 or M4 as they felt it was more reliable. He further stated they had no problem engaging targets to 600, even with the shorter barrel. YMMV.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Funny I don’t remember MAC serving with the Scar in the military. On the other hand Robert Terkla did and guess what he carried in the field? Also guess what he bought when he got out? Yep a 17. As it’s been said in the past opinions are like a$$holes. I’m not quite sure about MAC anymore. He’s got a lot of bad press lately. I supported him on Patreon for years but that’s recently come to an end. Not because of this SCAR stuff but because I don’t believe him when he says he’s not getting money to promote products. In any case the point is everyone has their own opinion about every gun they touch. As an owner of a 16 and a 17 I have run the hell out of them and I have nothing but good to say about them.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I mean seriously doesn't FN America and parent FN Herstal keep up with social media? ..
FN America, wants large LEO/MIL to buy up their 9mm "wonder guns" as well as larger military contracts for SAW, M4, SCAR, etc. What do they want you as a civilian to do? Buy some of their t-shirts and gnome patches, buy a Scar 17 for full retail, and fully void your warranty by installing a suppressor on it. Their social media presence = poor at best.

·
Registered
433 Posts
old info. fn improved the rifle since 2009.
anyway, i don't give AF what AR fanboys say about any piston driven gun like the Scar or HKs.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Do you run your SCAR hard ? Does it break when you do ? No, it doesn't does it ?! I believe the civilian world is under the impression that only military operators can tell them what a good gun is. People taking classes often fire a thousand rounds in a day. How often does a soldier fire a thousand rounds in a single battle ? Military testing indeed has some merit, but it's not the end all or the ultimate authority necessarily either. Truth can be found from within. For those who run their 17's like it's a 16, have like 7500 rounds without a breakage or jam, who have hiked around with it and appreciate the light weight of this 308 battle rifle...Are you gonna' let some you tube guy convince you your 17 isn't worthy ? I don't care if he was a Marine, a Navy SEAL, or Audi FN Murphy, the SCAR is a mighty mighty rifle. I've heard the You Tube channel of 9 Holes Review talking about the SCAR 17, and complained about some problems they had with it. Every problem they had was because they didn't know the platform and they made mistakes setting it up. And that guy can shoot, and a respectable military veteran to boot. But these so called experts...they ain't got nuttin' on you if you have done your home work and know your SCAR. We FN Forum boys ain't gettin' fooled by fools ! Sometimes these you tube guys get so popular, especially if they are veterans and or law enforcement, civilians begin to doubt things they know to be of the contrary. Love our Vets, and God Bless Law Enforcement, but I can think for myself. I personally believe the best knowledge and abilities out there are found within the civilian market. If SHTF, I don't care how many years you served, or how many people you arrested, you won't be able to call for air support, and you won't have 20 squad cars coming to your rescue. The civilian does it solo. You have done your home work. Trust what you know to be true. I enjoy the MAC channel, and many others, but despite their background, their audience size, and their sphere of influence, they aren't always right. It's you tube...

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Marine, although he never carried it.

I've heard others in the military speak badly about the Scar, as well as some positive. Different people, different experiences.
my bad I meant serving with the Scar. When I was in I heard complaints about every platform being fielded. Didn’t change my mind about them though. Look at how many complaints there are about the M4. You’re right about different experiences. The AF guys standing post at the base I work are carrying the most beat up rifles and pistols I have seen. The anodizing is damned near wore off. If I was issued something like that I really couldn’t judge it if it failed. Especially since you can step out side some days for 2 minutes and the sand is blowing so hard you’ll find it under your ballsack. That has to be hell on their equipment. In any case I don’t think any one person should be taken as gospel about guns and their quality. I mentioned Robert because he fielded the 17 and he loves it. By fielded it I mean really fielded it. I can tell you all day how much I love the platform but I am no authority. What I can say is that I have a lot of range time and I have carried it miles upon miles. I have hunted and killed with it. It’s been dropped, rained on heavily and banged around. I haven’t broken anything on the rifle other than almost stripping a gas jet (my fault). I lost track of round count but I normally do 200-300ish round sessions when I get the chance and I did a lot of shooting before I picked up the contractor gig and do as much as I can when I go on leave. I have had one FTF but that wasn’t the rifles fault. Other than that it throws lead every time and it does it accurately.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I don't take youtubers word on anything, but it is getting annoying to hear some claims from them. Such as tim here at the 9:00 minute mark. Says they are unreliable in service and many units are not choosing to field them anymore. Granted I was not SF and nor do I know anyone in it, but I have also haven't seen anything to back up what he is saying either.
It's Military Arms Channel. His reviews can't be trusted in any way. He's probably saying that because FN wouldn't give him free stuff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
my bad I meant serving with the Scar. When I was in I heard complaints about every platform being fielded. Didn’t change my mind about them though. Look at how many complaints there are about the M4. You’re right about different experiences. The AF guys standing post at the base I work are carrying the most beat up rifles and pistols I have seen. The anodizing is damned near wore off. If I was issued something like that I really couldn’t judge it if it failed. Especially since you can step out side some days for 2 minutes and the sand is blowing so hard you’ll find it under your ballsack. That has to be hell on their equipment. In any case I don’t think any one person should be taken as gospel about guns and their quality. I mentioned Robert because he fielded the 17 and he loves it. By fielded it I mean really fielded it. I can tell you all day how much I love the platform but I am no authority. What I can say is that I have a lot of range time and I have carried it miles upon miles. I have hunted and killed with it. It’s been dropped, rained on heavily and banged around. I haven’t broken anything on the rifle other than almost stripping a gas jet (my fault). I lost track of round count but I normally do 200-300ish round sessions when I get the chance and I did a lot of shooting before I picked up the contractor gig and do as much as I can when I go on leave. I have had one FTF but that wasn’t the rifles fault. Other than that it throws lead every time and it does it accurately.
Mike at Mr. Guns & Gear has carried and speaks very highly of it also. The folks at Demolition Ranch also have an extremely high opinion of it and they put a lot of rounds through it. I don't doubt the Scar is a durable rifle. In any case, if I see someone running steel cased ammo, and then complaining about the rifle jamming, I'll discount it. I also agree with you about not basing quality from a sample of one.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Funny I don’t remember MAC serving with the Scar in the military. On the other hand Robert Terkla did and guess what he carried in the field? Also guess what he bought when he got out? Yep a 17. As it’s been said in the past opinions are like a$$holes. I’m not quite sure about MAC anymore. He’s got a lot of bad press lately. I supported him on Patreon for years but that’s recently come to an end. Not because of this SCAR stuff but because I don’t believe him when he says he’s not getting money to promote products. In any case the point is everyone has their own opinion about every gun they touch. As an owner of a 16 and a 17 I have run the hell out of them and I have nothing but good to say about them.
MAC liked the SCAR 16 quite a bit back in the day when he did a couple full reviews. His opinion may have been updated because it’s no longer the new shiny thing, or because he believes that because the SCAR-L didn’t make as big a splash as it was expected to that somehow means it’s not a great platform. IMO the SCAR-L is a great platform, but since the M16/M4 has been upgraded and optimized and fielded for 50 years, the SCAR isn’t that much BETTER a platform to justify the cost in the mind of some people.

I also don’t get my knickers in a twist when some younoob “authority” says something I disagree with. I think these rifles kick ass and look sexy doing it, and if someone disagrees, well, enjoy your cookie cutter AR and your operator beard. LOL

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yea, the guys at Battlefield Vegas rent theirs out constantly and have stated numerous times how it takes almost no maintenance to maintain it and has almost never had anything break. Barrel changes at ridiculous round counts.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Marine, although he never carried it.

I've heard others in the military speak badly about the Scar, as well as some positive. Different people, different experiences.
The 75th Regiment Rangers carried the Mk16 SCAR-L, I believe only one battalion deployed to the sand box. It's my understanding they turned them in to their armory after a short run because HK had come up with the 416A? that addressed SOCOM's concerns with the issued M4. For what it's worth the Rangers didn't have any complaints about the SCAR-L, a decision was made at a much higher pay grade and I'm sure HK cut a deal to maintain their US Military status...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts