FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I order the MotoTech 3 position gas regulator, when i found out the gas jet I ordered for my S17 would not arrive before mammoth sniper competition that I was competing in this weekend. Popped the gas plug in and could immediately tell a noticeable decrease in recoil impulse on the 3rd setting (I’m running a suppressor).

During one stage of the comp, I was able to engage a target at 800 yards with 3 rounds (all impacts) in less than 7 seconds. This was possibly because I was able to keep the target in my optic the entire time, thanks to the gas regulator. With the factory regulator I would have to zoom out (sometimes) to re find the target, then zoom in again because the recoil was so bad (way over gassed). When you have timed stages seconds count and this regulator definitely got me a few extra points. Not to mention it makes the gun feel more like a gas gun, instead of a bolt gun like it did before.
If your running a suppressor on your s17 I would highly recommend this regulator. Worth every $ in my opinion.

·
Banned
659 Posts
I order the MotoTech 3 position gas regulator, when i found out the gas jet I ordered for my S17 would not arrive before mammoth sniper competition that I was competing in this weekend. Popped the gas plug in and could immediately tell a noticeable decrease in recoil impulse on the 3rd setting (I’m running a suppressor).

During one stage of the comp, I was able to engage a target at 800 yards with 3 rounds (all impacts) in less than 7 seconds. This was possibly because I was able to keep the target in my optic the entire time, thanks to the gas regulator. With the factory regulator I would have to zoom out (sometimes) to re find the target, then zoom in again because the recoil was so bad (way over gassed). When you have timed stages seconds count and this regulator definitely got me a few extra points. Not to mention it makes the gun feel more like a gas gun, instead of a bolt gun like it did before.
If your running a suppressor on your s17 I would highly recommend this regulator. Worth every $ in my opinion.
DA-YAM straight but Poors & Haters gonna squeal...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Great product.
Note: When running the 3 position on a 20s in 6.5, the rifle will not cycle properly on the highest setting. I would guess that they are probably going to make a version for the 20s in 6.5. In the meantime you will have to install larger jets. Once I experiment a bit I will post the size that worked.

·
Registered
Scar 20s 6.5 Creedmoor Scar 17s
134 Posts
Great product.
Note: When running the 3 position on a 20s in 6.5, the rifle will not cycle properly on the highest setting. I would guess that they are probably going to make a version for the 20s in 6.5. In the meantime you will have to install larger jets. Once I experiment a bit I will post the size that worked.
Great info. Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
I dont plan on running a suppressor on my 17, but is it still worth buying the mototech gas block selector switch?

·
Registered
Scar 20s 6.5 Creedmoor Scar 17s
134 Posts
I dont plan on running a suppressor on my 17, but is it still worth buying the mototech gas block selector switch?
Depends, I’m not running a suppressor but with FGMM 175 an South African NATO ammo I’m running my 17 in the suppressed position. I’m kinda thinking about getting one of these to experiment running less gas to see if it still functions without having to change out jets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven’t run it without the suppressor yet, so I’m not sure if it will cycle without it? The other two settings are factory, so if it won’t cycle on the third setting without a can and you don’t have one. It would just be a wast of $ to buy it in my opinion. I’ll post back here after I get a range day where I can take the suppressor off.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't use suppressors, but I've run this 3 position plug for 3 months or so now. I tuned my gas system to run it in the middle position with M80. I went up to a 1.6 jet to get reliable function on the middle position. This gives me the higher position for weak ammo or adverse conditions and then a lower setting for commercial .308 ammo. I love having the extra position over the stock one.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I got one and it worked as advertised on my 17S however I removed it and have gone back to the stock regulator (and 1.3mm GCS). There’s nothing to keep it from over turning beyond the #3 position. While not an issue at the range, I don’t want to risk losing anything in the field.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There’s nothing to keep it from over turning beyond the #3 position. While not an issue at the range, I don’t want to risk losing anything in the field.
That should not be the case. Like the OEM, there is a stopper to prevent the regulator from screwing off beyond the third position (unless you depress the release pin). If your regulator screws off by itself it is defective and you should contact Mototech. Once you get one that does not come off, you might consider keeping the OEM in you grip along with other spare parts in case there is ever an issue in the field.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would say YES. There are more than a few FN purists who will say FN is perfect and therefore any tinkering is unnecessary or even inadvisable. I don't agree, especially in this case. All manufactures are going to err on the side of over-gassing the system for the sake of reliability. Especially in a battle rifle, you need it to work in a wide variety of conditions with a wide variety of ammo.

Even if you run unsuppressed you are still using more gas than is required. That translates into more felt recoil and more wear on the system. The great thing about the 3 position regulator is that you can quickly adjust on the fly and don't have take the rifle apart and try and remove tiny carbon caked gas jets. If you do ever run into any genuinely extreme situations, all you have to do is simply swap the OEM back in in about 2 seconds.

If you mainly run the same ammo in the same conditions and want to really dial in your SCAR perfectly, then I would tune using gas jets. But, the 3 position gas block is a good solid way to improve the gas system whether or not you are running a can.

·
Registered
371 Posts
There’s nothing to keep it from over turning beyond the #3 position. While not an issue at the range, I don’t want to risk losing anything in the field.
Interesting. I noticed the same issue with mine. I was thinking of drilling on it or something to get better plunger engagement on the last position.

That should not be the case. Like the OEM, there is a stopper to prevent the regulator from screwing off beyond the third position (unless you depress the release pin). If your regulator screws off by itself it is defective and you should contact Mototech.
Funny. That hadn't occurred to me. Thank you, sir. I'll contact Eddie at Mototech and see what he recommends.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got one and it worked as advertised on my 17S however I removed it and have gone back to the stock regulator (and 1.3mm GCS). There’s nothing to keep it from over turning beyond the #3 position. While not an issue at the range, I don’t want to risk losing anything in the field.
Interesting! I was worried about mine coming off as well if it got bumped past the third setting. So I just kept the factory gas plug with me too. So your saying the moto should stop on the last setting just like the factory one? Mine will definitely go right past the 12 o’clock and pop out if with just a push. But with 30+ miles of rucking with my gun in the load shelf of my pack it never moved from the 3 setting. I do have extended rail that helps protect it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That should not be the case. Like the OEM, there is a stopper to prevent the regulator from screwing off beyond the third position (unless you depress the release pin). If your regulator screws off by itself it is defective and you should contact Mototech. Once you get one that does not come off, you might consider keeping the OEM in you grip along with other spare parts in case there is ever an issue in the field.
So the one you have won’t simply click past the 12 o’clock setting? Because mine definitely will! I thought that was just the design, so kept the factory plug with me just in case.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts