FN Herstal Firearms banner

MotoTech 3 position gas regulator

6K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  EddieMototech 
#1 ·
I order the MotoTech 3 position gas regulator, when i found out the gas jet I ordered for my S17 would not arrive before mammoth sniper competition that I was competing in this weekend. Popped the gas plug in and could immediately tell a noticeable decrease in recoil impulse on the 3rd setting (I’m running a suppressor).

During one stage of the comp, I was able to engage a target at 800 yards with 3 rounds (all impacts) in less than 7 seconds. This was possibly because I was able to keep the target in my optic the entire time, thanks to the gas regulator. With the factory regulator I would have to zoom out (sometimes) to re find the target, then zoom in again because the recoil was so bad (way over gassed). When you have timed stages seconds count and this regulator definitely got me a few extra points. Not to mention it makes the gun feel more like a gas gun, instead of a bolt gun like it did before.
If your running a suppressor on your s17 I would highly recommend this regulator. Worth every $ in my opinion.

#2 ·
I order the MotoTech 3 position gas regulator, when i found out the gas jet I ordered for my S17 would not arrive before mammoth sniper competition that I was competing in this weekend. Popped the gas plug in and could immediately tell a noticeable decrease in recoil impulse on the 3rd setting (I’m running a suppressor).

During one stage of the comp, I was able to engage a target at 800 yards with 3 rounds (all impacts) in less than 7 seconds. This was possibly because I was able to keep the target in my optic the entire time, thanks to the gas regulator. With the factory regulator I would have to zoom out (sometimes) to re find the target, then zoom in again because the recoil was so bad (way over gassed). When you have timed stages seconds count and this regulator definitely got me a few extra points. Not to mention it makes the gun feel more like a gas gun, instead of a bolt gun like it did before.
If your running a suppressor on your s17 I would highly recommend this regulator. Worth every $ in my opinion.
DA-YAM straight but Poors & Haters gonna squeal...

#13 · (Edited)
I don't use suppressors, but I've run this 3 position plug for 3 months or so now. I tuned my gas system to run it in the middle position with M80. I went up to a 1.6 jet to get reliable function on the middle position. This gives me the higher position for weak ammo or adverse conditions and then a lower setting for commercial .308 ammo. I love having the extra position over the stock one.

#15 ·
There’s nothing to keep it from over turning beyond the #3 position. While not an issue at the range, I don’t want to risk losing anything in the field.
That should not be the case. Like the OEM, there is a stopper to prevent the regulator from screwing off beyond the third position (unless you depress the release pin). If your regulator screws off by itself it is defective and you should contact Mototech. Once you get one that does not come off, you might consider keeping the OEM in you grip along with other spare parts in case there is ever an issue in the field.

#22 ·
I believe after I did my write up on it he said he was going to look at it but that's all I know, sorry. I've been using the one I bought in my SBR 17S barrel and while I really like the extra gas control I'm probably going back to OEM for this very reason. It's a primary SHTF weapon for me and if needed for that role I don't have time to worry about a critical piece falling out of the weapon by accident.

#23 ·
Weekend before last, I took the 16 and 17 to the range to experiment with the Mototech 3-pos regulator. Both un-suppressed and suppressed.

Un-suppressed, both SCARs cycled in the first 2 positions, without any FTE's and/or FTF's. Once turned completely to the 3rd/suppressed position, they ejected, but did not pick up and feed the next round, which is more or less what I was expecting. Would have preferred that to happen on the 2nd position, with FTE's on the 3rd. I don't think that is indicative of an issue with the Mototech regulators, but more of an indication that the 16 and 17 are still over gassed and I will probably drop down at least a jet size on each.

With suppressors fitted they completely cycled, with no issues, when in the 3rd/suppressed position.

As appears to be the case with the majority of other users, the regulators will turn clockwise past the 12 o'clock position and can be removed without the need to depress the selector detent, which I do find to be a bit of a concern. Especially on the 16 and 17, compared to the 20S's.

I have not tried them on the 20S's as of yet.

#25 ·
I really love to hear these "in the wild" stories of how the regulator helps people tune their gun to perform the way they want it.
That is what gives me the most steam to keep development of new stuff going.
Cheers to the OP

The concern about the detent slots is something I didn't think was as worrying as I thought in the past.
Believe when I tell you, every comment was read here and at other outlets.
I DO find the input gathered from here to be more rich in technical detail to help improve products.

As of this batch that is for sale RIGHT now on the website, we are hours away from machining the detent slots (with our new CNC method).
At first over the weekend I read the comments about the 3rd position not able to be fully engaged in the 20s because the gasblock is beefier (this was only a short list of users that experienced this).
The design has been adjusted for that.
I am sitting at the computer right now and making small tweaks to the detent profiles and depths.
Every batch has small improvements in fit and function and I don't think I am ever going to finish changing something here or something there.
It's hard to just please everybody, but thanks for being kind and informative.

Thanks to everyone for all of the input!

#27 ·
What is out right now.. IS a working product.
The OP has one from last batch and is enjoying it so much, he had to make a review here.
I have never recieved a complaint from anyone running the 3-select that it fell out while out shooting or walking.

There is a list of 4 people on my whiteboard that need a replacements because their selector doesn't quite make it to the 3rd position (mostly SCAR20 guys).
That IS a defect that I did not fore-see, and they are getting updated parts because that is what I will have done friday.

Besides the 3rd detent hole missAlignment issue, I can't come up with a reason to re-work or replace parts.
It is always going to be improved/tweaked and I cannot afford to go back and update/replace everyone's parts because of that.
No one can.
Thanks to all for your understanding.

#29 ·
Understood. I'm happy with mine and recommend it to others. I was just asking that when you come up with a method for making the detent slot catch the detent stronger, that you'd share that with us so we can do something similar at home. Cool? Thank you, sir

#28 · (Edited)
Thanks Eddie,

Yes, I'm one of those 4 people where the selector doesn't quite make it to the 3rd position on my Scar 20s and the selector will also turn past the 12 O'clock and come off BUT I would have to physically turn it by hand.

Being that the 3-Select Gas Regulator sits inside more on the 20s, it's very unlikely that something will get lodge exactly at it and make it turn clockwise and come off but it could happen and will happen if you physically turn it past the 12 O'clock via clockwise without having to push hard.

But I'll still order another one when I get my next SCAR along with all the other upgrades from MotoTech that I currently have on my 20s ;)
  • Mototech Buffer Pad Rubberized Nylon
  • Mototech Back Plate Torx Screw Set
  • Mototech Receiver Rail Torx Screw Set
  • Mototech Front Plate Torx Screw Set
  • Mototech 3-Select Gas Regulator

#30 ·

Are you running subsonic ammo?

Are you using subsonic ammo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.