FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a mototech buffer (soft) for my new Scar 17s. The installation went smoothly except for the fact that the stock and trigger group seemed harder to install and remove afterwards, which I assumed was normal.

I took it out shooting for only a few dozen rounds as my optic isn't here yet, and everything was great. But when I stripped the rifle today I noticed there was some wear on the rear of the bolt carrier and the finish of the hammer-- after fewer than 50 rounds. I'm worried it could have something to do with the abnormally tight fit of the trigger group, and because I hadn't fired the gun without the mototech buffer I don't know if this is normal or not.

Is this light but rapid wear to be expected on stock Scars, and is that tight fit to be expected when using the mototech buffer? I tried searching existing threads but wasn't able to find any answers.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I have a couple Moto buffer inserts but haven't tested them yet. I'm not sure why there would be wear on the carrier or the hammer.

After I installed mine I don't remember the trigger housing fitting any more tight than normal.

A couple questions if I may:

Is your Scar new, first time fired? (after re reading your post it would seem the answer is yes)

Did you install the buffer correctly? Meaning did you have the softer rubberized side facing the stock assembly?

They sell a ton of these things or so it appears. You could always send them an email. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My Mototech buffer delaminated after about a 100 rounds. Have put the stock one back in and still waiting for my promised replacement.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
My Mototech buffer delaminated after about a 100 rounds. Have put the stock one back in and still waiting for my promised replacement.
Yikes, this is alarming. I had in issue with one part from them and they sent me a replacement promptly.

I wonder if they had an adhesive issue. How long ago did you purchase your buffer?

Do you have the medium or the soft?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought it about six months ago and yes it looks like the adhesive failed. I need to call them again and remind them to send me a new one. It was a soft one

·
Registered
397 Posts
Pictures would be helpful. Sounds like normal wear, since the back of the bolt carrier pushes the front surface of the hammer to put it back into the cocked position each time it's fired.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the mototechs and haven't noticed any problems. 500-1000 rounds.
I have the HDD added buffers too and I think that they are too thick. If I have a problem with the mototech I'll switch back to the HDD or OEM.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I have the mototechs and haven't noticed any problems. 500-1000 rounds.
I have the HDD added buffers too and I think that they are too thick. If I have a problem with the mototech I'll switch back to the HDD or OEM.
Good to hear. It sounds like as long as the adhesive holds the Mototech's are GTG.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mine is delamiated also. Throwing away and going back to OEM.... I have HDD added buffers but couldn't get them in easy and have alot of other things to mess with right now.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Mine is delamiated also. Throwing away and going back to OEM.... I have HDD added buffers but couldn't get them in easy and have alot of other things to mess with right now.
I thought you mentioned in your previous post that you haven't had any issues? :th_confused0024:

Does anyone have a pic that shows it? How bad is the issue?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I thought you mentioned in your previous post that you haven't had any issues? :th_confused0024:

Does anyone have a pic that shows it? How bad is the issue?
Yes in my previous post i was not aware of any issues with the Mototech buffer. But then after reading this and replying, I was making some changes and took my rifle apart. The Mototech buffer pad is made up of two layers. One layer is similar to the OEM in material but is thinner. The other layer is a thin soft rubber that appears to be glued on. Today I found mine to have the thin soft rubber half coming off. Taking a picture at this point wouldn't help. I tore the soft rubber off and tossed the hard part of the buffer in my parts bin to use in an emergency or for a patter if i ever needed to make one. I even gas down my rifles so its not from abuse. I'd say to Mototech thanks for trying but stop making them and move on. I wont be using them. 500-1000 rounds on a buffer pad to have it shredding isn't going to work.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I find the Mototech buffers too hard. The reason for the buffer is to be softer. I prefer the HDD buffers all day every day. HDD's have a cheap appearance, but "buff" that recoil like it's designed to do. It's especially important if using an aluminum butt stock on the 17. I went back to the OEM butt stock, and just use the OEM buffer now. But I used HDD's buffer while using an aluminum butt stock (Vltor Receiver Extension), and never had my rear receiver screws cant or come loose. I had ordered some from Mototech, and didn't really research them before purchasing them. I got the first generation of buffers - before they had the second piece glued to it. I thought they would be a more rubbery type material, but after receiving them, took one look, and through them in the spare parts box - wouldn't use them. The whole point of the buffer is to be softer and absorb the recoil with as little vibration to the rear back plate as possible. I know HDD has a bad reputation on this forum, and Mototech is a valued vendor, but for this particular part I prefer HDD's product.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm running the MT soft buffer now, but don't have many rounds with it yet. I had an issue with the HDD buffer limiting the travel of the BCG and sometimes the rifle wouldn't feed the next round from the mag and wouldn't lock open on last round. I don't see how the HDD buffer would limit the travel because it's pinned behind the guide rails in the receiver, but it did, and the problem went away when I removed it. Maybe it was causing the recoil spring to bind at the end of the compression and stop the BCG travel? Not sure, but it only did it intermittently.

I like the concept of the MT buffer better. It's similar in size to the factory part, so it doesn't take up more room in the receiver. I don't like the idea (now) of the HDD extra thickness of rubber in there that can potentially get in the way of the BCG travel.

Maybe MT just needs to do some more R&D and come up with better material and better glue?

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
More kitchen table engineering & manufacturing!

Anybody with an exact-o-knife and some rubber sheets can so just as lousy. Likely cost less too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Been running home rolled buffer pads in my Scars for a couple years now. Still on the same $2 sheet of foam rubber too.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I'm running the MT soft buffer now, but don't have many rounds with it yet. I had an issue with the HDD buffer limiting the travel of the BCG and sometimes the rifle wouldn't feed the next round from the mag and wouldn't lock open on last round. I don't see how the HDD buffer would limit the travel because it's pinned behind the guide rails in the receiver, but it did, and the problem went away when I removed it. Maybe it was causing the recoil spring to bind at the end of the compression and stop the BCG travel? Not sure, but it only did it intermittently.

I like the concept of the MT buffer better. It's similar in size to the factory part, so it doesn't take up more room in the receiver. I don't like the idea (now) of the HDD extra thickness of rubber in there that can potentially get in the way of the BCG travel.

Maybe MT just needs to do some more R&D and come up with better material and better glue?

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. The HDD buffer is used in ADDITION to the OEM part, and the Mototech buffer REPLACES the OEM part. I had concerns using the HDD buffer at first, because it reduces the amount the bolt carrier can travel by about 1/4 of an inch. Dispite my concerns, I never had a single malfunction with the HDD buffer. It locked open on the last round every time, and never had a feeding issue. But I could notice it when I would pull the charging handle back with an empty magazine inserted. I had to pull it back with a little more authority, or it wouldn't lock back. But that was the only adverse effect I had found. I had thought about using it as a stand alone piece - that is - removing the OEM part and using only the HDD buffer. I've never tried it though. I ran it as a dual set up like HDD designed it for. It's interesting to hear you had some fail to feeds. I posted questions a long time ago, in regards to could the decreased length of travel by that 1/4 inch do any harm to the rifle. I forget who chimed in, but I think a couple ppl stated they had used buffers in other rifles before - not the SCAR - but never had any issues with it. I put I forget, but I think like 3500 rounds through my 17 using a VLTOR receiver extension (M4 carbine type butt stock) using the HDD buffer, and my rear receiver screws stayed perfectly in place. I have gone back to a straight bone stock rifle though now. I saw a couple of pics of broken bolt carriers - not from using buffers, but still...I didn't want to play with fire, and quite honestly, think I was just ready for a change ya know. And the OEM set up is the lightest weight configuration out there.

Very interesting you had fail to feeds and some fails to lock back on last rounds with the HDD buffer. Thanks for posting that info. I think the OEM configuration is just fine, unless you go using an aluminum butt stock. I think the whole game changes at that point though. But I sure would prefer a more solid butt stock. I haven't heard reports of them breaking, and mine has held up just fine, it's just something that I still have thoughts about in the back of my head.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I'm going back to the stock buffer pads/guide rod retaining plates. Tune with the proper gas jet and call it good.

More and more I find myself wanting to bring things back to "stock". That's pretty much where the 17s is at.

I will say it's tough to get away from PMM's rail elimination panels, MRE and Mlok lower rail on my 16s SBR. The slim profile and ergonomics feel way too good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just returned the scar 3 position gas selector and buffer pad. I wasn’t too impressed with the quality of the buffer pad, it was very “homemade looking.” Also has been a pain to communicate with and get issued a refund.🤷🏼‍♂️

1 - 20 of 34 Posts