FN Herstal Firearms banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
first off, i am not even certain all the FN oem recoil plates are the same. is anyone?
the one on my 20S, made here in the USA is not "hard" and has some flex to it.
i did buy a mt recoil plate (nylon) but only as a spare part since oem parts can be difficult to find in stock.
was lucky to snag a firing pin recently \o/

·
Premium Member
9,629 Posts
first off, i am not even certain all the FN oem recoil plates are the same. is anyone?
The 16S/17S retaining plates are the same. I don't see why the 20S would be different. I can't prove that in court, though.

Reactions: theLBC

·
Premium Member
9,629 Posts
can you bend the plate with your fingers without much effort?
I checked a couple new OEM ones I have in the parts bin. I can flex them, but they are fairly rigid.

I should clarify that I meant they were all the same size. If FN has pulled a material change over the years, that I don't have an answer too.

Reactions: theLBC

·
Banned
676 Posts
Hey genuises, the secret to the CORRECT installation of the Mototech buffer is to compress it slightly as you install your butt ugerly UGG BOOT stock. What your doing now, and incorrectly is sliding your butt ugerly UGG BOOT stock up agains the rubber attachment and basically shearing it up as you continue to aply your manhood to it. Simply back it off, take a good adhesive like Gorilla (can I say that without being bigoted?) glue to the sheared rubber, CORRECTLY re-install the rubber buffer & spring into the upper receiver, push said rubber in slightly as you slide your butt ugerly UGG BOOT stock on and WALLAH, you've fixed your latest screw-up. Now, the bullet thingy goes with the pointy thingy in first...

·
Banned
676 Posts
I reached out to Mototech 2 weeks ago about delam issues. No response.
Only delaming because you're pushing your stock up without slightly depressing the rubber buffer, YOU ARE basically shearing the rubber off. Get out the glue and give it another try...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I believe the people here talking about issues with delamination are the ones that still have a SOFT-rubberized buffer pad. I used to offer rubberized pads in (soft) UHMW plastic material and (medium) NYLON plastic material (same rubber on both). Since about a year ago, I phased out the SOFT rubberized pads because the UHMW material simply does not lend itself to any kind of permanent adhesion. It is the nature of any form of polyethene (cutting board material) to resist any chemical reaction.

I only sell NYLON rubberized pads now since really the recoil absorption qualities between the two kinds of rubberized pads was indistinguishable and it was just not worth keeping both.

The UHMW pads still exist and selling but are just solid UHMW material that is basically just an improvement in durability over your OEM material pad.
Trying to do a better job at keeping up with all the emails and concerns (one reason why I lurk here more these days)
Let me know if you are truly dissatisfied with your pad and we can work on getting you a latest process one in your hands.
[email protected]
We get better and better at making these and every other product we sell.
We have moved hundreds (at this point probably past 1000) pads since I introduced these 4 years ago and they have been a great hit since.
The improvement in felt recoil is very drastic.
Shooting your 17 makes it feel like a 5.56 and your 5.56 like 22lr.. Not my words.. Customer actually on here said that a long time ago.

·
Registered
44 Posts
And yes.. pushing your recoil assembly's bufferpad slightly inward with your finger as you slide your boot back into its slot helps the rubber from delaminating early from sideways loading it..

I still have my first rev pads from 2018 in my 16 and 17.. 1000s of R&D and funTimes rounds later.. they are still together..

It's meant for compression impact load.. not sideways or peeling.. I think perhaps gonna include that instruction on the baggie packaging..

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I believe the people here talking about issues with delamination are the ones that still have a SOFT-rubberized buffer pad. I used to offer rubberized pads in (soft) UHMW plastic material and (medium) NYLON plastic material (same rubber on both). Since about a year ago, I phased out the SOFT rubberized pads because the UHMW material simply does not lend itself to any kind of permanent adhesion. It is the nature of any form of polyethene (cutting board material) to resist any chemical reaction.

I only sell NYLON rubberized pads now since really the recoil absorption qualities between the two kinds of rubberized pads was indistinguishable and it was just not worth keeping both.

The UHMW pads still exist and selling but are just solid UHMW material that is basically just an improvement in durability over your OEM material pad.
Trying to do a better job at keeping up with all the emails and concerns (one reason why I lurk here more these days)
Let me know if you are truly dissatisfied with your pad and we can work on getting you a latest process one in your hands.
[email protected]
We get better and better at making these and every other product we sell.
We have moved hundreds (at this point probably past 1000) pads since I introduced these 4 years ago and they have been a great hit since.
The improvement in felt recoil is very drastic.
Shooting your 17 makes it feel like a 5.56 and your 5.56 like 22lr.. Not my words.. Customer actually on here said that a long time ago.
thanks for chiming in eddie!

i actually bought both soft and medium to try out or have as spares, but then noticed the current version on my original 20S is more flexible than the medium nylon. this is why i a m curious if there was any material changes by FN for the oem part.
edit: i should add that i shot hundreds of rounds before comparing them, so the oem part could be softened by my operator af operations. :p

as for the ultra high molecular weight polyethylene, i am familiar with the problem having dealt with it. we were only able to get one family of solvent based 3m adhesive to bond very well, and i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make it anymore.

·
Registered
44 Posts
FN hasn't changed their buffer material.. definately soft stuff and works very well. It will however eventually start becoming ragged, cracked, then fall apart.. and if you get a particularly agressive solvent on it.. forget it.. it starts to dissolve..

They either way.. miss-use or not.. have a lifespan

Thats why I rolled out the pads.

Nylon material (mototech pads) is def stiffer than the oem material but its just there for structure needed to hold your recoil assembly together.. that 1/16" rubber sheet is the sauce and makes it waay more elastic and energy absorbent than stock.

Its like riding in a wagon with wooden wheels vs putting modern wheel&tires on the wagon.. makes a HUUGE difference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im other news.. the TiN coated pistons are back in stock and shipping..

I began putting them through a special ring Partial-Pre-Seating process these days to make them ALOT easier to drop in.

In the past They would take a seat only after being subject through a few rounds firing..

Same great product.. now easier to install!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey genuises, the secret to the CORRECT installation of the Mototech buffer is to compress it slightly as you install your butt ugerly UGG BOOT stock. What your doing now, and incorrectly is sliding your butt ugerly UGG BOOT stock up agains the rubber attachment and basically shearing it up as you continue to aply your manhood to it. Simply back it off, take a good adhesive like Gorilla (can I say that without being bigoted?) glue to the sheared rubber, CORRECTLY re-install the rubber buffer & spring into the upper receiver, push said rubber in slightly as you slide your butt ugerly UGG BOOT stock on and WALLAH, you've fixed your latest screw-up. Now, the bullet thingy goes with the pointy thingy in first...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts