FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys and gals,

Have been mounting tape switches in the past with velcro and special pockets made by various manufacturers. The glue on the velcro never sticks and always attracts dirt and gets messy, plus it moves. The pad enclosures can be large and can make the switch harder to activate.

So one day I decided to just mount a switchpad with black 3M Super Strength Automotive Trim Tape adhesive assuming I would have to cut it off and use solvent or wd40 to get off the residue if I ever have to replace the switch.

And that day came. So I gently pulled at the switch at an angle hoping it would come off clean. It did! No damage to the switch or residue. Then I used my thumb to roll off the 3m stuff that was stuck to the stock. It came off clean too!

I'll never use velcro again. From now on it's 3M "permanent" auto trim tape for me.

http://3mcollision.com/3m-super-strong-automotive-attachment-tape-03609.html

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My pressure pad is adhered to the fore end of my FN SLP with 3M velcro. Haven't had an issue yet. :)
I also used that type for a while. I found that the extra layers of velcro added to the thickness and the pad moved around a bit too much for my taste. The glue "flowed" and the pad moved, leaving sticky mess behind like a slug. Especially when the gun sits in the hot car on a typical southern day. The 3M trim tape is much cleaner, thinner, and sticks better. But hey I also used velcro for a long time too, each to his own preference.

Hey btw Cas I bought my wife that paint instruction set by the guy in your avatar! Thought I recognized that afro :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also used that type for a while. I found that the extra layers of velcro added to the thickness and the pad moved around a bit too much for my taste. The glue "flowed" and the pad moved, leaving sticky mess behind like a slug. Especially when the gun sits in the hot car on a typical southern day. The 3M trim tape is much cleaner, thinner, and sticks better. But hey I also used velcro for a long time too, each to his own preference.

Hey btw Cas I bought my wife that paint instruction set by the guy in your avatar! Thought I recognized that afro :)
I will definitely give it a go though haven't had issue with the velcro yet. Always looking for a better/more efficient way to operate! Bob Ross... 20 years in Air Force. Master pimp, and rap battle master.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Excellent tip!
I will defo pick up a roll of that 3M adhesive tape for my pressure switches!

Speaking of heat in the hot South, just how hot can this 3M tape tak?
I'm in Texas and inside a car or truck Ina 110degree day, it can reach 120-130 inside the car!

Also, how well does it stand up to getting wet?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I will definitely give it a go though haven't had issue with the velcro yet. Always looking for a better/more efficient way to operate! Bob Ross... 20 years in Air Force. Master pimp, and rap battle master.
Dang, I didn't know the man was career military. Could never tell from his onscreen demeanor. Much respect, Boss Ross.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts