FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a couple M1A guys on here, but unless they have used the troy chassis, I don't think this is really an M1A oriented question, the chassis features a prodigious amount of rail real-estate, and I figured since the SCAR is a more modern set-up similar to the MCS, and I figure you guys know all about modding and such, it couldn't hurt to ask here.

So, I have on my rifle the magpul MBUS flip up irons, an eotech XPS2-0, and a G33 magnifier with mount.

I've recently ordered a nikon prostaff 4-12X40, and I'm wondering if I cant figure out how to make use of the 9 o clock rails on the chassis, since the scope is not going to be my primary targeting system.

If you look at the left hand side of the chassis, there is an inch of rail 2 inches infront of the bolt-hold open (bolt release with the upgrade pictured!), and then more rail about 6 inches or so forward of that.

now, I ordered the Nikon P series rings, and I know that you can use offset rail mounts, and I'm wondering if a roughly 9 inch gap is too large to mount a scope with, and if so, is there some sort of mounting device that could be mounted to bridge the offset mounts, to which I would then be able to mount the P series rings http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dftpVwYKL._SY300_.jpg so that I can temporarily mount the scope on the side of my rifle but offset, and tilt my rifle (my bipod allows about a 45º tilt either way) and not have too much eye-relief?

I'm thinking if I can find a mount to bridge the gap between, maybe I can get one that extends a little further back incase there's too much eye-relief.

Or maybe Im getting crazy with all the tacticool crap, who knows.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
All the off set sights I've seen are either a smaller red dot or irons. I think offsetting the wieght of the scope would be noticeably annoying. Even on a 15 pound battle rifle.

Reactions: LebbenB

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this would mainly be for shooting paper at the range, though I might go hunting from a blind with it at some point, but either way I'd have the bipod resting on something

·
Registered
604 Posts
The mind boggles.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not sure if serious or just been drinking a bit too much tonight
Sadly, I am actually being serious. To mount the scope I would have to take off my MBUS and my HWS and magnifier.

Where I can simply mount the scope, if I find a bridging mount, with the turn of two allen wrenches (on the offset mounts), and just tilt my rifle 45º to the right, and I'd have a scope that is aligned and directly over my bore axis and it is still fairly comfortable to shoot tilted with my GG&G bipod.

This rifle doesn't have very much recoil thanks to the 15+ lbs and the SEI muzzle brake, it literally kicks like an M4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts