FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see everybody buys these expensive scope mounts.

I was wondering, can I buy an inexpensive set of 30mm scope rings and mount the scope to the scar 17s?

The scope rings have good reviews and hold zero on rifles like a Remington 700.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Sure why not?!? But don't be surprised if and when the 17 eat your scope/optic and rings up. Only one way to find out right? GOOD LUCK and let us know if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's what I use with my Leupold vx r patrol 3-9, and they tend to stand up well with the scar. I keep my zero every time I go shoot!

·
Registered
76 Posts
See the separate thread about scar owners being snobs. I've used an oko red dot until I could afford a decent scope. And for 2 years it's held up well even though the round ciunt has been limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I use cheap warne QD rings. They work just fine. I'm also using a relatively low price vortex scope (crossfire 2). Don't believe the hype about eating your scopes and rings. I'm up about 2000 rounds now and the scope and rings are fine and still have repeatable elevation changes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why would a scope mount be the reason why the optics would fail on the scar? Is it because the scope mount becomes loose?

Is this a problem with cheaper scope rings like millett?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Why would a scope mount be the reason why the optics would fail on the scar? Is it because the scope mount becomes loose?

I don't know millett rings personally, but every set of rings I've ever used has worked fine. As long as they are mounted correctly and they are torqued to specs there shouldn't be any problem. You can get good brand named rings like leupold or weaver for about $30 so I guess you could call them cheap. And they will work perfectly.

But that Delta ADM mount looks like a rugged S.O.B. that wouldn't fail you either. I might grab one of those after I move my current scope to a new rifle.

·
Registered
498 Posts
There is nothing wrong with using scope rings instead of a quick detatch one-piece mount, but please don't buy cheap rings. You will waste more money on ammo trying to figure out why your rifle won't hold zero than if you had just bought a quality ring set in the first place.

I would look at the Seekins rings:
Scope Rings - 30mm Tube

I use these on my bolt gun and they are fantastic no-nonsense high quality rings. They have a CNC machined recoil lug that fills the space on the rail so they don't move around. Cheaper rings like the Burris rings use a cross bolt that doesn't fit the rail properly. Cheap rings can also damage your scope, the Seekins rings were machined very well so that no lapping was needed.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Sure why not?!? But don't be surprised if and when the 17 eat your scope/optic and rings up. Only one way to find out right? GOOD LUCK and let us know if you decide to go that route.
Is the SCAR17's recoil impulse heavier than a bolt action rifle of the same weight?

I used regular rings on my Sako .300 Winchester Magnum rifles and neither scope nor mount have died yet for well over ten years now. I doubt that the SCAR17 generates greater recoil impulse than my .300 Winchester bolt guns.

The only cool thing about the fancy scope mounts are the quick release and the one-piece design. That's about it. I'm willing to bet that the scope ring mounts with its simplicity are probably toughter than these fancy quick release scope mounts.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts

I have zero experience with Millett scope mount, but Millet iron sights for both handguns and rifles were and are well known to be quality products. Take that for what it's worth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts