FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First question, has anyone noticed a small burr of metal on the moving parts group that ends up scratching the casing? I don't know if it is while it loads or ejects.

Second. How to fix it? I considered a hand file but that seems really stupid considering the investment. Does FN offer some sort of fix, or swap on that problem?

I won't even consider selling the casings, luckily I didn't go through that many. It doesn't seem that dangerous as of yet to fire since I've only gone through maybe 200 rounds without problems. But if there IS a fix, I'd like to pursue it.

Below is a pic of the burr at the top of the part. highlighted in a convenient brass color. bottom pic is the brass donor

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
acmeraptor said:
First question, has anyone noticed a small burr of metal on the moving parts group that ends up scratching the casing? I don't know if it is while it loads or ejects.

Second. How to fix it? I considered a hand file but that seems really stupid considering the investment. Does FN offer some sort of fix, or swap on that problem?

I won't even consider selling the casings, luckily I didn't go through that many. It doesn't seem that dangerous as of yet to fire since I've only gone through maybe 200 rounds without problems. But if there IS a fix, I'd like to pursue it.

Pictures are on the way as best as my digital cam can do. It's hard to make it focus at such close range.
If your camera has any set of Macro settings these you would use for up close shots. HTH

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blkbd said:
If your camera has any set of Macro settings these you would use for up close shots. HTH
Thanks I forgot about that feature. I guess the saying is true; if you don't use it, you lose it. :x

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Boy, I don't think mine has that kind of a protrusion on mine. Looks like it is on the part that pulls the round from the mag to me. I bet it puts the mark on the NEXT round after you fire.

Hold on whilst I go to the safe to see if mine has a burr.....

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Nope, no nick here on the part that snags the round:

Nothing on the underside either:

I would say one of a few things happened:

1. Your wife was playing with the weapon, loaded the wrong ammo, or whatever and nicked the bolt.

2. Your kids were cleaning the rifle and dropped this particular piece. it is easy to see how it can come sliding out when you disassemble the weapon. This part hit the corner of a metal table as it fell.

3. The guys you bought the wepaon from were screwing with it before you pickeed it up and did this.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ick said:
3. The guys you bought the wepaon from were screwing with it before you picked it up and did this.
if anything, that is the likely one. but i think it may have been a problem from the factory. i got this ps90 at a gunshow while a friend got one too.

he sent his barrel to one of the sponsors here to get shortened but it came back cut and unthreaded with a refund. the long explanation basically said it would be unsafe to use as an sbr. our serials are 1 number apart so i am thinking quality control must have been relaxed that day. which is a bummer.

i also checked my second ps90 and the moving parts group doesn't seem to have any flaws either. maybe a light touch with a hand file won't be so bad, but i'm not going to shoot the one in question again until it gets fixed.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
You can actually buy another bolt if it boils down to doing that....

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Even if you send it back to FN they would only file it down and touch up the finish, You could call them and ask if they would do a even exchange. But I would just file it down and cold blue the spot.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
blkbd said:
Even if you send it back to FN they would only file it down and touch up the finish, You could call them and ask if they would do a even exchange. But I would just file it down and cold blue the spot.
yea i was a little bit excitable when i made the original post. i'll try to fix it when i get the proper tool. 200 for a replacement bolt assembly isn't that bad of a price i guess if i screw up. which i don't think i will

1 - 9 of 9 Posts