FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find anything in the forum search and I think it is a fairly new product from a fairly new company. I like how lightweight it is supposed to be and really like how slim it is. I don't plan on bolting a bunch of stuff to my 17 so I like the choice for small sections of rail only where I find it necessary. Link to a review posted below. Any opinions or input is appreciated.

Review: SCAR parts from Kinetic Development Group - RECOIL

·
Registered
157 Posts
Maybe we need a thread with all the extensions listed? I know I've just about lost track of what's out there and the pluses and minuses of each. Plus, MI sounded like they had more coming.
A stickied list would be handy. If we could get it, with the important stats listed like weight and length.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Maybe we need a thread with all the extensions listed? I know I've just about lost track of what's out there and the pluses and minuses of each. Plus, MI sounded like they had more coming.
A stickied list would be handy. If we could get it, with the important stats listed like weight and length.
MI has An mlok out i believe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have one, and it replaced my PWS rail extension. It is far superior! :)

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-photo-section/66261-new-hotness.html

a little side note, I had to dremel down my mlock screws as they were pretty close to my barrel. The screws would barely touch the barrel during its harmonic vibration. This obviously affects accuracy. I wanted to keep my sub-MOA accuracy, so a quick 1 minute dremeling of the mlock screws fixed that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had to do the same thing with my Dremel. I am quite surprised how sturdy the MLOK pieces are. I like the rail.

Fortune Favors The Bold!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too had to dremel the MLOK screws, worked fine. Installation took about 15mins and was super easy. I replaced a PWS rail with the MREX and it has greatly improved the ergonomics of the Scar for me making it way easier to handle.
SCAR-17-MREX.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks good on chewbacca's ...being that it's monochromatic ...while the design to me is good ...I don't get why manufacturers making add on parts don't make it the color that it attaches too?.... There's 4 colors (3versions of fde/coyote and black) already on a scar which I'm ok with ..but bolting a part on to the upper thats a totally different color from what it's attaching to kills the astethic value for me...looks like an old car with different color junk yard parts on it....

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 4.9" MREX MLOK replaced an early MI quad pic rail on my 17s. The MREX has totally changed the feel of the rifle for the better. I shoot arms forward, but not quite with a C clamp style grip, as some call it. The MI had significant girth. The MREX is much slimmer and a little lighter. Makes the rifle much handier and it feels better balanced. I am very happy with the MREX. I had originally installed the short rail piece at 6 o'clock under the front sight so I could install a short vertical grip, which I essentially use as a handstop. The MLOK screws put upward pressure on the gas block, so that didn't work out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ended up going with the standard version. Picked up two extra sections of rail just in case of a future need. No issues with screw and gas/barrel interference. I don't put much on my rifle but wanted the extra length for when I use a bipod. So far I am very pleased with the mrex. Install was as expected and it has remained nice and secure after mult hundred round range sessions. As far as the color goes, I gave up the fde battle, I was going to go with a black rail but ended up embracing (not caring) about the 50 shades of FDE. If you are looking for some added space up front of your scar and a slimmed down profile the mrex offers another good option to check out.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I'll have a shortly on my SCAR 17 SBR next month sometime, hopefully. Gun money went to ammo this month before the M855 panic. ;)

·
Registered
660 Posts
I too had to dremel the MLOK screws, worked fine. Installation took about 15mins and was super easy. I replaced a PWS rail with the MREX and it has greatly improved the ergonomics of the Scar for me making it way easier to handle.
View attachment 35720
That looks so nice, and soooo Bad Ass with that CQBSS on there. Love the can too!!

Reactions: Chewbacca

·
Registered
62 Posts
new member here, can someone explain to me how would this improve a Scar 16s in what way? I guess I can understand that people put it on a 17s to improve weight distribution and make a better shot. In the case of my 16s, I don't think I want use it for things more than 400 yards, using a extended rail or this seems to disables me to use a VFG/AFG, also any rail covers. Again I am a new shooter and I know nothing so I can be totally wrong.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I personally like the SCAR in with a sleeker look. It would help with to hide the pencil barrel profile on both the SCAR 16 & 17.

But the length of these rails and how they wrap around from the bottom to the sides makes it look horrible. The rifle is already ugly no need to make it uglier.

My two Cents…

·
Registered
47 Posts
Whether or not it is an improvement is dependant on your likes and needs. If you like holding further out or desire more space the mrex is a great way to accomplish that. As I stated before it does slim up the front of the rifle and some will find this a welcome improvement. For me it added enough length for a more comfortable hand position and covered some of the barrel that my hand would at times contact. For you it might not be an improvement at all and just added weight. Time at the range will let you know if it's worth looking into.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts