FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
View attachment 28093

Anyone have any experience with this reticle? I know it's used in the Optisan CX6 1-6x24 scope yet I know nothing about the product having never heard the name until recently. I do however like the reticle design and it is based on the 5.56x45 62gr round which I am growing quite fond of. The first time I saw the reticle it struck me as simple, intuitive, effective and easy to use, first impressions being what they are I thought I'd ask. I also did some further digging and found that Leupold will make custom reticles, I can't imagine how much that must cost but a phone call is on order.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Really? No one?

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I had never heard of this brand till I read your post. Maybe most people havent either? Just a thought. Whats retail on this baby? If its close to some of the other options you are considering, then maybe pass on this one and go with something that has a more well known track record.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
BigJimFish helped design the reticle, and reviewed the scope on Snipershide. It looks pretty busy, basically designed for run and gun not pinpoint accuracy.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm beginning to think no one does know of the reticle or Optisan scope brand. It's not so much the scope but the reticle which initially struck me as winner. I will call Leupold tomorrow to see how much custom reticles cost. Leupold's website indicates their custom shop can and will do it, just need to know how proud they are of their work. The Optisan CX6 is about $599 and purportedly made in Japan and seems to get good reviews but I concur, it's much better to stick with known brands like Leupy and their highly regarded support.

I had never heard of this brand till I read your post. Maybe most people havent either? Just a thought. Whats retail on this baby? If its close to some of the other options you are considering, then maybe pass on this one and go with something that has a more well known track record.

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I've read BigJimFish's review and why he developed it, personally I don't think it's that busy and my need would be run and gun not so much pinpoint accuracy. With as accurate as the 16s is and I can attest to that it's still a fighting rifle not a sniper variant and keeping true to its design intent and my usage such an optic fits the bill. The top triangle point is akin to the ACOG 4x32 I used to own and you can be extremely accurate with the reticle type, in most cases the kit we employ is more capable than us it just takes practice.

BigJimFish helped design the reticle, and reviewed the scope on Snipershide. It looks pretty busy, basically designed for run and gun not pinpoint accuracy.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Seems like the diamond is in the way and would cover the target... Reviews on optisan are all over the place. Seems like most of it is hearsay. It is the internet after all...

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Kam,

That reticle matches your custom Spikes lower logo! :happyrotfl4vi0:
Ohhhh I see it :-D Hahaha that's hilarious... Maybe I should get one to round out the whole "package" :-D

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
After considerable research on the reticle, it appears BigJimFish specifically designed the diamond to cover the target the center of which is zeroed for 25m/yd the top being 100m/yd. I kind of like the idea but then again the reticle design inclination is dynamic -run-n-gun- as opposed to static. I just might have to purchase the CX6 since it is cheap and run it through its paces. If this reticle is to my liking and needs I'll already know how much Leupold will charge to etch it in a Mark 6 or maybe..........just maybe........a Mark 8, we'll see.

Seems like the diamond is in the way and would cover the target... Reviews on optisan are all over the place. Seems like most of it is hearsay. It is the internet after all...

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I don't get it... :eek:

·
Registered
6,620 Posts

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
That's not what I was talking about...

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
That's not what I was talking about...
My bad. I never miss a chance to make a complete fool out of myself...

What were you talking about?

Reactions: SONYtec

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

While speaking with Leupold a moment ago I was informed that NO they cannot etch custom reticles into a Mark 6 or 8... :cry:

Back to the drawing board unless I purchase the Optisan CX6. Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
What kind of custom reticle are you looking for? Leupold has some great offerings...mildot, tmr, cmr, h27-d

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was hoping they could do the Mudskipper 3. The guy told me only those reticles shown on the their website are available in the Mark 6/8 at this time.

What kind of custom reticle are you looking for? Leupold has some great offerings...mildot, tmr, cmr, h27-d

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I was hoping they could do the Mudskipper 3. The guy told me only those reticles shown on the their website are available in the Mark 6/8 at this time.
I run the TMR reticles, it's more of what I'm use to. If you are looking for a precision type reticle just go with the TMR, The CMR will work a little more like a red dot type setup. I wouldn't over think it, if your looking for something like that reticle above I'd just go with the CMR you know the quality of Leupold. Your going to have to learn what ever reticle you pick anyway.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Tal,

The TMR vs CMR in daylight as a red dot which would be better, was going to be my next question. For my usage I need the best of both worlds that being a daylight visible red dot and reasonable precision ability.

As far as "I wouldn't over think it" yeah right, all I do is think about optics, reticles, accessories, ballistics the list goes on and on. It's a disease I tell'ya exacerbated by this forum. :?

I run the TMR reticles, it's more of what I'm use to. If you are looking for a precision type reticle just go with the TMR, The CMR will work a little more like a red dot type setup. I wouldn't over think it, if your looking for something like that reticle above I'd just go with the CMR you know the quality of Leupold. Your going to have to learn what ever reticle you pick anyway.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
My bad. I never miss a chance to make a complete fool out of myself...

What were you talking about?
Well, kinda being sarcastic. But, seriously, what is that supposed to do that other reticles don't do??? Besides blocking a lot of the view, too busy IMO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts