FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FNS-9 had problems last time I was on the range. Inserted mag, pulled the slide back, first round hung up and wouldn't go into battery, which lead to an overall jammed situation. Eventually, was able to pull the mag out and clear it. Tried another magazine. First round went into battery, but multiple jams after that (stovepipes etc.). I've never had one problem with this firearm. Probably have about 2000 rounds through it. I took it home and meticulously cleaned it. I have not attempted to shoot it yet, because now I've noticed a change in the trigger...seems sluggish, stays back and won't return forward. It will reset upon pulling the slide back, but the feel of the trigger has definitely changed.

I have not taken the trigger assembly out, but I do not see anything out of place or binding inside. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
882 Posts
So after 2000 rounds without any problems this just started? Did you change ammo brand or style? What changed, need more info. Did you disassemble anything between the time it fired without any problems? Let's think this situation through. Think about what changed because something obviously happened. Post some pics maybe someone here might be able to help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kansas...I hear ya and I agree something must have changed...but I can’t come up with it. In this gun, I only shoot two brands of ammo...Fiocchi and Federal 115gr Ball factory ammo. I’ve shot both for months with no trouble before. I shot the gun with no issues the night before the failure. The failure happened to be on the Federal...maybe I got a bad batch. However, when the failure happened, I moved to my S&W with the same ammo with zero issues...completely different gun I know. I’m stumped. I’ll post pictures later.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Did the problem start with the first round at this range visit? If so, did anything happen between that visit and the prior one (ie- cleaning, FNS handled by anyone else, etc.)? Does the slide seem to have any additional resistance, when moving in either direction?

One, I can say that I've noticed the the FNS likes its slide to have a strong return forward, to chamber a round. In other words, anything [intentional or unintentional] that decreases the rate of the slide's return [forward] adds to the likelihood that the round may jam when entering the chamber. In your situation, I'm wondering if there is/was any additional resistance as it relates to slide function.

Two, your experience with what you are now feeling with the trigger indicates a change or potential problem. From what I see, there are 3 areas where "fire" function happen: 1) trigger mechanism, 2) fire control assembly, and 3) striker block/striker assembly located in the slide. If you can remove the slide and still experience the trigger issue, it rules out area #3. If this is the case, it seems to narrow to trigger mechanism or fire control assembly.

Look forward to your feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bwwoodard, thank you for your response and ideas. Nothing happened other than I bought a new box of ammo. Same brand (Federal), but it was a new box. I literally put the gun in my range bag on a Wednesday night and pulled it out at the range on Thursday night. You've given me some ideas to look at...I'll try that and report back.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Federal makes some great ammo. Was it a full mag, sometimes if the mag is crammed full it won't feed the first round properly. Were you shooting ball or hollow points? Is this gun brand new or has it been through a break in period?

·
Registered
719 Posts
There are so many possible causes of both your original issue of out of battery, your secondary follow up issue of repeated malfunctions of various types, and your current issue of trigger and trigger reset malfunction. I would tear it apart over top of a pure white and soft surface (like my wife's wedding dress or her favorite linens or something equally devastating to my health) so that I could easily find the broken bit of spring or pin or bar or cockroach leg or whatever sliver or chunk that falls out when tearing it apart.

Reactions: kansas
1 - 7 of 7 Posts