FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick note, anyone know the muzzel velocity of a round out of a Five-seveN?

Civilian ammo of course, 195 or 197.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Wrong thread and I don't know.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoops, I clicked on the wrong section Ship. Can you move this to Five-seveN? Thanks.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found something that says 2130 fps, but that sounds like the velocity out of a P90.... which has a longer barrel.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Moved it for ya. :D

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always thought a longer barrel added a significantly greater amount of velocity to a round? I mean I understand you get more twist, control, and accuracy with a longer barrel, but it doesn't change the velocity much? So a Five-seveN has the same muzzel velocity as a P90.... or even a PS90?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
ick said:
I always thought a longer barrel added a significantly greater amount of velocity to a round? I mean I understand you get more twist, control, and accuracy with a longer barrel, but it doesn't change the velocity much? So a Five-seveN has the same muzzel velocity as a P90.... or even a PS90?
No - it is different.

Part of what you want is in the PS90 FAQ:

http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=4286

And P90 velocity is:

715 m/s (2,346 ft/s) (SS190)
850 m/s (2,788.7 ft/s) (SS190)

However - I do not have numbers on the civilian ammo thru the PS90....

Wikipedia's entry has been nuetered. Instead of a seperate entry for the PS90 - someone stuck it under the P90 entry - and many of the images of range finding and other info is gone.

I have tried to edit the entry - and there is someone that guards that thing like a pittbull. He will not allow any changes, and will erase any changes as soon as you make them.

So, some good info was lost.

·
Registered
14 Posts
chrono results

From my Oehler proof channnel chnonograph @ 10' from the muzzle, out of my Five SeveN:

195 27 gr @ 1850 fps about 200 ft libs of energy
197 40 gr @ 1650 fps about 250 ft lbs of energy ( a bit more energy than a standard vel .38 special)

These are "real World" results, I was surprised with the results of the 195, no wonder it does not have much recoil. It won't function my gun unless the chamber is perfectly clean and lubed. If the chamber is dry and dirty, it won't feed, although the 197 will continue to work.

After reviewing the Accurate Arms reloading data, it is clear that the 195 and 197 are loaded to starting velocities. The new Lyman Manual duplicates factory loads, which I guess they thought was the max. Accurate data much hotter.

Wasa43

wasa43

1 - 13 of 13 Posts