FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay ladies and gentlemen of the FN Forum, I have a couple of questions that I need answered. I just picked up a SCAR 16S last night (used, but like new) and it came with all of the original stuff and it currently has a Battlecomp Enterprises "Battlecomp" brake. I know that on the SCAR 17S, the muzzle brake does one hell of a job taming that .308 round and I have no experience with the 5.56 version (that being the SCAR 16S) so I'd like some input.

1.) Just how effective would you rate the SCAR 16S' original muzzle brake against that of say... an AR-15?
2.) What kind of muzzle brake do you guys/gals have on your SCAR 16S?
3.) Does anyone here have a Lantac Dragon on their rifle or a Battlecomp and can give me their opinion?
4.) Any other suggestions for a muzzle device that eliminates the minuscule recoil impulse of the 5.56 round?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Okay ladies and gentlemen of the FN Forum, I have a couple of questions that I need answered. I just picked up a SCAR 16S last night (used, but like new) and it came with all of the original stuff and it currently has a Battlecomp Enterprises "Battlecomp" brake. I know that on the SCAR 17S, the muzzle brake does one hell of a job taming that .308 round and I have no experience with the 5.56 version (that being the SCAR 16S) so I'd like some input.

1.) Just how effective would you rate the SCAR 16S' original muzzle brake against that of say... an AR-15?
2.) What kind of muzzle brake do you guys/gals have on your SCAR 16S?
3.) Does anyone here have a Lantac Dragon on their rifle or a Battlecomp and can give me their opinion?
4.) Any other suggestions for a muzzle device that eliminates the minuscule recoil impulse of the 5.56 round?
Now a days, one muzzle break is just about as good as another. In a 5.56 platform any perceived difference will be negligible. Unless your rifle is a dedicated paper puncher or day light hunter, I would suggest a flash hider with preferably a suppressor attachment.

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
Allow me to expound a bit more on Double Ought's......thoughts which are good thoughts btw. First, it's a 5.56/.223 and honestly a muzzle brake does more to piss off your lane neighbors at the range than offer any true shooting benefit at least IMHO, YMMV. Like opined in the OP, why bother eliminating a "miniscule perceived recoil" put a quality FH on the muzzle and be done with it. The stock PWS is one fvcking loud b!tch, needlessly loud for that matter. I personally have a Surefire SF3P FH/Adapter here awaiting its journey to Nefarious Arms for a permanent install on a chopped barrel.

Lemme get this straight, you brought Pizza Pizza to your OP but didn't bring enough for everyone? I see how you are, put the loudest damn comp/muzzle brake you can find, teach you to only bring one frikkin' Pizza Pizza to an OP. :th_laughing:

Unless your rifle is a dedicated paper puncher or day light hunter, I would suggest a flash hider with preferably a suppressor attachment.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know I should care about my lane neighbors, but I don't want to sacrifice muzzle control over someone's feelings. Sure, I'll feel bad, but it is what it is. I shot my friend's AR a while back and it had no movement while you shot it and I thought it was unbelievably awesome so I was trying to replicate it with the SCAR 16S. I thought it was nice that he could rapidly shoot without ever worrying about muzzle climb. I know the 5.56 isn't bad as it is, BUT, I have seen just how much better it "can" be and I liked it. So I was looking for some better suggestions. Also, I would be willing to hear suggestions on the SCAR 17 muzzle brake options as well I suppose. As for suppressors, not my thing really. I don't see the need or want for those in my future. Flash hider over muzzle brake... Well, I don't plan on doing any combat enough to hide my position lol.

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
Have you shot that 16s yet? Comparing to an AR is tantamount to comparing apples, oranges or night and day. Shoot it first, then decide what your course of action should be. The 16s is one of the softest, muzzle controlled, accurate shooting carbines on Earth. I fought for an Uncle with an M16 and CAR-15 then owned a selective-fire M4gery for years, the 16s is hands down the best, PERIOD! Don't believe that, just ask me! Oh, and so you know, the FDE is the less accurate version, you should just give it to one of the members here then you won't have to worry about such decisions.... :biggrin:

Yeah, I know I should care about my lane neighbors, but I don't want to sacrifice muzzle control over someone's feelings. Sure, I'll feel bad, but it is what it is. I shot my friend's AR a while back and it had no movement while you shot it and I thought it was unbelievably awesome so I was trying to replicate it with the SCAR 16S. I thought it was nice that he could rapidly shoot without ever worrying about muzzle climb. I know the 5.56 isn't bad as it is, BUT, I have seen just how much better it "can" be and I liked it. So I was looking for some better suggestions. Also, I would be willing to hear suggestions on the SCAR 17 muzzle brake options as well I suppose. As for suppressors, not my thing really. I don't see the need or want for those in my future. Flash hider over muzzle brake... Well, I don't plan on doing any combat enough to hide my position lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you shot that 16s yet? Comparing to an AR is tantamount to comparing apples, oranges or night and day. Shoot it first, then decide what your course of action should be. The 16s is one of the softest, muzzle controlled, accurate shooting carbines on Earth. I fought for an Uncle with an M16 and CAR-15 then owned a selective-fire M4gery for years, the 16s is hands down the best, PERIOD! Don't believe that, just ask me! Oh, and so you know, the FDE is the less accurate version, you should just give it to one of the members here then you won't have to worry about such decisions.... :biggrin:
Haha, yes, I know I shouldn't compare to an AR, that was definitely a mistake, I was just trying to have some input vs. another piston driven platform to see how well the SCAR handles the recoil over other platforms. I mentioned in my original post that I hadn't shot a SCAR 16 before though. I wish I could own a select-fire, that would be pretty awesome! I too work for that same uncle you mentioned though... yeah, he sucks at times. As for the FDE, they are all I come across, I have yet to see a black SCAR in person. All the shops around me have FDE and everyone I've dealt with has had FDE lol.

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
Shoot first, decide later, best advice I can give you. Any of us can offer an opinion but perceived recoil is just that, perceived by the shooter. Although muzzle movement is less perceived it can be related to the shooter too. A muzzle device is a personal preference matter, you won't know what you like until you find it. What better excuse to :x then :x some more. :?

Haha, yes, I know I shouldn't compare to an AR, that was definitely a mistake, I was just trying to have some input vs. another piston driven platform to see how well the SCAR handles the recoil over other platforms. I mentioned in my original post that I hadn't shot a SCAR 16 before though. I wish I could own a select-fire, that would be pretty awesome! I too work for that same uncle you mentioned though... yeah, he sucks at times. As for the FDE, they are all I come across, I have yet to see a black SCAR in person. All the shops around me have FDE and everyone I've dealt with has had FDE lol.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Shoot it and see what you think. The factory muzzle brake on the SCARs are very effective. I took the PWS off my 17s within the first 2-300 rounds for a FH, too much racket. Try your Battlecomp and if you don't like it we can swap, I have the factory PWS on mine. I've always wanted to try the BC, I'll prolly end up with a FH in the end but you must explore options. ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
For the everyday hunter or square line shooter sure a comp on a 556 is just a noise maker. If you need to place multiple shots in a small area and have very little muzzle rise and .10th of a second counts they are very worth it. The way I use my guns they have value to me. To many others maybe not.

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
Reactions: joeyhp

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Flash hiders or brakes, whatever you choose to get, get one that's QD compatible with a suppressor. You never know when that silencer bug will bit you, always be prepared. :th_thumbsup:

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
^^^^this, you never really know^^^^

1 - 20 of 26 Posts