FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have measured MV or accurate MV differences for 16in. vs. 20in. barrel with the same cartridges being shot? And would anyone care to speculate on any difference of accuracy for 16in vs. 20in. barrel?

I'm not interested in applying this data to ranges past 600yds, so sub-sonic variations are not what i'm getting at. The 20in barrel is just so darned front heavy that it is not very carry friendly for hunting or offhand shots.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi There,

You bring up a good point about handling and balance which is why I opted for the 16" Barrel. I am glad I did, I use a VTac sling mounted to a side rail and with a wrap around the stock and it works and handles great making a versatile rifle. Sorry I cannot give you any velocity information. But would be willing to answer any questions regarding my experience with the 16" bl length.

Jim

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Truth About Barrel Length, Muzzle Velocity and Accuracy | The Truth About Guns

The results of this study were very telling. Overall, as demonstrated in the accuracy charts, the shortest barrel length provided the most consistent accuracy across the board and the longest length proved to be the least accurate with the same loads. The data also shows that the so called “MOA” a rifle can shoot changes with distance. The groups at 100 yards show very good, often benchrest grade accuracy, and then at extended ranges, they show a natural increase in group size. Across the board, all the loads tested across all barrel lengths showed this. Across all loads and lengths, the average at 900yds was .765 radial MOA or 1.53MOA. Compare this to the 100yd average of .206 radial MOA or 0.413MOA. That’s right: the average across all lengths and loads yields sub half-MOA at 100yds and just over 1.5MOA at 900yds.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I only have the 16 so I cannot comment on velocity or accuracy. That said, I am convinced any loss of velocity in the shorter barrel is more than made up by increased muzzle blast. :x
As always, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The rule of thumb is you lose 50 FPS/per inch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts