FN Herstal Firearms banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wonder if the SCAR-20 has a metal plate where the hinge plate would be on the -17? Or is that piece plastic like on the -17?
That's a very good question. I also wonder in the SCAR-20 is possibly softer gassed than the SCAR 17 since it's a precision rifle. The outer part that slide over the "ears" of the rear receiver plate looks like anodized aluminum in the pics I've seen.
The connecting plate for the stock on SCAR 20 is polymer.

The 20” barrels for the 17, and the 20 both use a smaller gas jet when compared to the shorter barrels. This is due to dwell time. When I’m not on a phone I can do a better write up.

The idea of going larger on the gas jet is a bad idea. The regulator is vented, however it’s ability to prevent over pressure is limited. Increasing the amount of high pressure gas getting fed in to the gas block will cause problems, not solve them.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Bring this back from the dead.
I cracked the bolt carrier in one of my 17’s the other day. I was shooting suppressed and its converted to 6.5. I could see/feel it over gassing but needed only one more confirmation zero shot. And well all hell broke loose.
Would a scarburator from Moto engineering solve this issue?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I cracked the bolt carrier in one of my 17’s the other day. I was shooting suppressed and its converted to 6.5. I could see/feel it over gassing but needed only one more confirmation zero shot. And well all hell broke loose.
My suggestion would have been to install a Mototech rubber buffer and start playing with the jet sizes, starting with a 1.20mm and working your way up. What works consistently for me on my SCAR 17 SBR with a 13" barrel, KDG stock and a Surefire SOCOM RC-2 7.62 suppressor is a 1.35mm gas jet and the rubber buffer. I think the SCARburator is $$$ excessive for the 16's & 17's where the jets are easily accessible and adjustable. I just picked up a SCAR 20 in 6.5 Creedmoor and will be using a YHM Resonator R2 .30 cal. suppressor on it and I may consider installing a SCARburator on it ONLY after I get it dialed in with the correct gas jet since the barrel has to be removed on the 20 to access & make changes to the gas jet. If you haven't checked out the video that Jarod at Parker Mountain Machine did, I suggest it to better understand theSCAR gas jet/suppressor relationship. Finally, Midwest Gun Works carries all the parts you may need to repair the rifle, including the bolt assembly and bolt carrier. They're in stock currently but you will not like the prices...

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Thanks. Everyone is out of bolt carriers but some small shop out of AZ, its en route.
I have the buffer pad from Moto and the golden piston in most of my scars.
I have a handful of jets at the house and actually have a Scarburator for my 16 sbr 300blk. I did go ahead and order 3 selector from Moto and will tinker with that a little. Better to have a gadgets to tinker with.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Make sure you aren't buying aftermarket bolt carriers. The ones from HDD (Hi-Desert Dog) specifically. Not the best quality and known to break.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts