FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally had an opportunity to take it out for the first time. After a mag or two I notice this red Loctite like substance oozing out. I am assuming that SilencerCo must use this "red stuff" in the assembly process.

Has anyone else seen this on their Osprey or any other can?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have not had that happen to mine but my understanding is that if you shoot it wet then whatever substance you use to fire it wet can come out of that area of the Osprey. Liquid coming out of that portion is not abnormal if you're shooting wet but I have no idea about the red loctite-like substance. Very odd.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
It looks like the stuff that comes out of a ruptured Stretch Armstrong.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Never had anything red like that come out of mine. I think there was white lithium grease on the piston when I got (that what they recommend to lube it with). When I put water in it, I did get a bit of gray stuff around there (probably mixture of the water, powder residue, and maybe a little lead)

Reactions: Milspec

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Give them a call or e-mail them, and see what they say. :?

:eek:

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had a little bit of the same red grease come out on mine the first time I shot it. I assume it's assembly lube of some sort and normal.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Completely normal and like others have mentioned if I use ultrasound gel when shooting it oozes out.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup, red loctite confirmed by Silencerco. They said it's not an issue and that probably a little too much was used during assembly.

Red loctite drys eventually and it's also heat resistant. I have to wonder why did it liquify?

You might say suppressors heat up hence liquifying the loctite. Then I would say, why would they use red loctite in the first place if it's going to deteriorate?

:icon_wtf:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts