FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my new AR-57 play toy. Glad I got it a month ago, bet the cost for replacement is over $1000 already just for the upper. :(

It is one sweet shooter and the daylite green laser works like a charm.

And here is the traning/practice AR-22, both are blow-back operated and easy to clean, thanks to no gas system. But more importantly they can do a lot of shooting before requiring cleaning.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shoots like a laser and no recoil. I haven't bench rested it yet, but standing I can hit the life sized deer target at 100 yard line. I went through 50 each of 195LF and 197SR and it never coughed or sputtered.

The AR-22 is match quality and shoots a nickel sized pattern at 50 yards from bi-pod with Winchester match ammo, should do better when bench rested.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Sweet! I hear about these about 6 months ago and I was curious to see how they turned out. You would recommend the 57upper then? :eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had one, returned because it would fit on 2-stags, a colt, a dpms or an AA lower, but the bolt would not pull back. Found it would work on a bushy lower
so I bought it again. Came with mag so it was a good deal. Seems to be well made. Can't wait to shoot it.

Bruce

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I would recommend either of the units as far as reliability, quality and accuracy goes. The TAC-SOL AR-22 shoots right with my Anschutz when benched. Like I said I haven't benched the AR-57 as yet just shot from the bi-pod with the red dot at 25 to dial in the red dot and green laser and didn't have to make any adjustments as both were where I thought they need to be and the gun fired 20 rounds into an area about a bit larger then a quarter, but not as big as a half dollar.

One thing I really like is the ability to tie a cloth bag around the magazine well on the DPMS and collect my brass for possible future reloading. :cool:

As far as will my AR-57 fit all uppers, I asked the same question and the guy at the shop I bought it from put the upper on and cycled the action on DPMS, Colt, Bushmaster and one lower with just four or five letters that I never heard of but was nice looking without any cycling problem. I realize that is not a complete test, but was good enough to show it would work on any platform that was mil-spec unit.

I hope to get it out to the range next week to bench rest the gun and see how it does at 25, 50 and 100 yards. I always do a 25 yard sight in then when shooting beyond 25 yards adjust for rise and or drop out to what ever range I shoot. I am limited to 100 yards at the gun club here and and that should be about the max I would ever use the gun, anything else I will step up to my Browning A-bolt 222 or the Browning FN 257 Roberts that I have popped feral dog at 450 yards with in years past with the Leupold 7.5 x 55 AO scope.

Now the real plus is I have a pistol and rifle that use the same ammo, rifle using a commercial P-90 magazine that holds 50 rounds, with a training upper that is also blow back operated and makes for cheap practice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Orion said:
Where do the shells eject from?
Out and down the the normal magazine well where you would insert a magazine for the 223/5.56 and you can tie a bag around the mag well and capture the empty brass. Some have converted 20 or 30 round magazines into brass catchers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
An update to my original post. I bought a bushy target model and found the ar 57 works fine on the lower. Had an m&p 15 lower so I built it using a stag parts kit(went back and bought the ar57 upper again) and nuts you can't pull the bolt back. After some checking I found the stag bolt stop jams the bolt. Removed the stop (you do not need for ar 57 anyway) and all is fine. So all my lowers with the stag profile bolt stop jam the bolt. Hope this solves my problem permanently. Can't wait to shoot it. 8)

Bruce

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bigbore said:
An update to my original post. I bought a bushy target model and found the ar 57 works fine on the lower. Had an m&p 15 lower so I built it using a stag parts kit(went back and bought the ar57 upper again) and nuts you can't pull the bolt back. After some checking I found the stag bolt stop jams the bolt. Removed the stop (you do not need for ar 57 anyway) and all is fine. So all my lowers with the stag profile bolt stop jam the bolt. Hope this solves my problem permanently. Can't wait to shoot it. 8)

Bruce
You will love the gun, and it is pretty cheap to shoot compared to 308 and easier on the shoulder.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bigbore said:
What scope are you using on your AR 57?
Thanks.

Bruce
No Scope, just a Leaper's Red Dot and a Green laser. I have thought about using an NcStar scope like I have on the TAC-SOL 22 upper.

·
Registered
39 Posts
:? Found the leapers red/green dot sight for $34 delivered came in today and for the price it looks great. Both dots clear so now my ar 57 is complete. I have a friend who sews and I am going to see if she will sew me a brass cather with zipper to tie on the magwell. Gotta save brass. Now I have most everything 57. Variety the spice of life!!

Bruce

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ony thing you need now is a green laser and bipod an you will be set. :grin:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bigbore,

I just took some old Orlite plastic 30 round mags and got rid of the spring and follower, cut the feed lips off and they make great brass catchers. Besides I think the AR lower looks better with a mag hanging down.

MadDog :shock:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Right. I don't want anything in the mag well to obstruct the cases falling down causing a pile up and jam. My freinds wife agreed to make me a brass catcher with zipper. It will hold 50+ rounds. To each his own.
Thanks.

Bruce :?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bigbore said:
Right. I don't want anything in the mag well to obstruct the cases falling down causing a pile up and jam. My freinds wife agreed to make me a brass catcher with zipper. It will hold 50+ rounds. To each his own.
Thanks.

Bruce :?
Smart choice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Old Navy said:
Here is my new AR-57 play toy. Glad I got it a month ago, bet the cost for replacement is over $1000 already just for the upper. :(

I have been talking to the 57 manufacturer about my buffer(carbine was included). The show dealers and local shops have been selling the upper with rifle stocked lowers using the carbine buffer. Bad bad. There will be a rifle buffer available Dec 16th. I like the options 16" 16" flute, 11" and 6" wth suppressor attached, different muzzle breaks.
Trick out time :?

Bruce

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine is on DPMS Carbine lower, only difference is wt. of the buffer. The carbine buffer is heavier then the one I used with TAC-SOL upper.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts