FN Herstal Firearms banner

My finish peeled off! What to do?

11K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  ImFromTheGovt 
#1 ·
My PS-90 is undergoing the process for a SBR conversion, and I've already had my name and city/state engraved by Ident Marking Services about 6 months ago or more. Waiting on my Form 1; it should come in in the next 1-2 months. Since then, I've been shooting it with the factory length barrel. It has less than 1000 rounds total down the barrel. There are no other modifications to the PS-90 or factory (FN) magazines I use.

So I was preparing to go to the range a few days ago, and noticed that the finish on the receiver near where the end of the magazine sits started to peel up! I picked at it for a moment (it was so loose it was just a matter of time), and the finish peeled off like it was a black sticker. The finish also appears to be peeling off in the area where the top of the distal end of the magazine sits.

Since my Form 1 is hopefully days-to-weeks from approval, who do you recommend I send my receiver to for repair/re-finishing? I'd like to get something a little more durable than what was present. I don't think that Ident Marking had to remove or re-finish this area when they engraved.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Gun Firearm Trigger Wood Airsoft gun
Wood Metal
Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design Wood Table
Wood Airsoft gun Trigger
Wood

See less See more
#10 ·
#11 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think once my Form 1 comes in as approved I'll send my barrel off to Tros, and the receiver to a Cerakote shop. Maybe both will be done about the same time, and the finished product will be that much better!

I've got a SilencerCo Saker 5.56 that should be approved for transfer about 2 months after my PS90 SBR. The whole package should look really sharp once complete.

#12 ·
Have it engraved before finish work is done.

#13 ·
All back together now!!

So after about a 12 month wait for that old-style mail-in Form 1 with one correction back in October 2013, my Form 1 finally got approved about 3-4 weeks ago. I hacksawed that barrel off almost immediately and sent it to Mark McWillis at TROSUSA.com to be cut and crowned. As everyone on this board already knows, Mark does fantastic work and his turnaround time was excellent! 100% satisfied and highly recommended.

While my barrel was off to TROS, I found a local gunsmith in Chesapeake, VA area who does Cerakote applications. Jim Jones at J&L Gunsmithing stripped the factory finish off of the receiver, fixed the old engraving (the cause of that Form 1 correction back in Oct2013), and Cerakote'd the receiver, charging handle, and release button in a matte/flat black to closely match the factory finish. He was very attentive and also did a great job! If you're in the Hampton Roads area, look no further! I highly recommend.

Antique tool Tool
Wood Tool
Trigger Airsoft gun
Wood Hardwood
Bumper Automotive exterior Technology Gadget

So just yesterday I picked up all the parts and put everything back together. PS90 with SBR barrel conversion by TROS, engraved and Cerakote'd by J&L Gunsmithing, a TROS ultra-low optic mount, and an Aimpoint Pro Patrol optic. It looks great! I can't wait to take it to the range.

And finally, albeit temporarily, my SWR Spectre (original upgraded to Spectre II) screws right onto the barrel adapter by TROS.

Next step will be my SilencerCo Saker 5.56 that's still in old-style Form 4 jail (and has been for the past 9 months or so).... Pics to follow [some day!].

#17 ·
So after about a 12 month wait for that old-style mail-in Form 1 with one correction back in October 2013, my Form 1 finally got approved about 3-4 weeks ago. I hacksawed that barrel off almost immediately and sent it to Mark McWillis at TROSUSA.com to be cut and crowned. As everyone on this board already knows, Mark does fantastic work and his turnaround time was excellent! 100% satisfied and highly recommended.

While my barrel was off to TROS, I found a local gunsmith in Chesapeake, VA area who does Cerakote applications. Jim Jones at J&L Gunsmithing stripped the factory finish off of the receiver, fixed the old engraving (the cause of that Form 1 correction back in Oct2013), and Cerakote'd the receiver, charging handle, and release button in a matte/flat black to closely match the factory finish. He was very attentive and also did a great job! If you're in the Hampton Roads area, look no further! I highly recommend.

View attachment 24471 View attachment 24472 View attachment 24473 View attachment 24474 View attachment 24475

So just yesterday I picked up all the parts and put everything back together. PS90 with SBR barrel conversion by TROS, engraved and Cerakote'd by J&L Gunsmithing, a TROS ultra-low optic mount, and an Aimpoint Pro Patrol optic. It looks great! I can't wait to take it to the range.

And finally, albeit temporarily, my SWR Spectre (original upgraded to Spectre II) screws right onto the barrel adapter by TROS.

Next step will be my SilencerCo Saker 5.56 that's still in old-style Form 4 jail (and has been for the past 9 months or so).... Pics to follow [some day!].
Hmmm....looks like I can now get my SBR lower Cerakoted locally instead of sending it off.

What was his turnaround time for cerakoting your PS90?

Also, you said - "fix engraving". Does he do engraving on firearms?

Highly interested, as I don't like sending my stuff off through the mail.

#16 ·
Wow!!! That finish looks factory to me!!!

Awesome!!!

#18 ·
Turnaround time for the re-engraving and Cerakoting was about 3 weeks. A good many months ago while my Form 1 was still pending, I sent the upper off for laser engraving. Had the same thing engraved that was approved on a prior Form 1 for a SBR AR-15, "Firstname Lastname Trust, Phialdelphia, PA". That's what I put on my PS90 Form 1, which was returned for correction as I am suppose to engrave "Firstname Lastname Revocable Living Trust, Philadelphia, PA". Since my factory finish was peeling off and I wanted that corrected, I asked about a slight grind-down of the initial engraving and then re-engraving the correct info. It's not visible on my pics because I blurred it out (my SN also). J&L Gunsmithing took care of it all locally. He's a busy guy, so I didn't mind waiting for the local quality work. I also didn't want to mail my upper out. I imagine he'll engrave anything you need done.

Good luck!

NavyDocToBe

#19 · (Edited)
I have read on forums (but not found ATF confirmation) that you can just engrave "Firstname Lastname RLT, City, State". Is that correct? (and if so, anybody have a link to some ATF proof?)

EDIT: **

It appears that "recognized abbreviations" were deemed acceptable in the 2005 version of ATF rule (Page 92):
https://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Your name (or recog-

nized abbreviation) and also,
when applicable, the name of
the foreign manufacturer or
maker;

#20 ·
I thought I did the research a few years ago and found that "Firstname Lastname Trust, City, State" would work, and it did for me at least that one time. But for my PS90, with my Form 1 originally pending as of 22May2013, was returned in Oct2013 with the following reason:

"Incomplete transferee / applicant's information, see highlighted section(s).
Full trust name, city and state; only state can be abbreviated in box 4h."

If it makes any difference, my corrected Form 1 was approved by Daniel A Parasky on 28Jan2014.

#22 · (Edited)
I wrote an email to David Goldman (guntrustlawyer.com) and he was nice enough to respond very quickly. Here is his response (and it corroborates what you said NavyDocToBe):

David Goldman said:
RLT is not a recognized abbreviation which is why we do not use Revocable Living Trust as part of our Trust names. We try to make them short like Goldman Trust in stead of the David Michael Goldman Revocable Living Trust Dated November 23, 1999 or The Beth Michel Mayers Goldman and David Michael Goldman Revocable Living Trust Dated November 23, 1999. As you can see this may be difficult to engrave on a 6 in barrel
As my trust is named "Blahblah Revocable Living Trust" I too must engrave the whole enchilada on my PS90. While I am at it, I am also having them engrave my family crest above the trust information on that rear right rail upright. I'll post pics once the engraving is done (but not in this thread so as not to de-rail it any further).

#24 ·
No problem on the additional contributions to the thread. I'd love to see how your engraving turns out. Seems like mine is all sorted out now, which I'm happy for. As for the Approved Form 1 for my AR-15 SBR from a few years ago, they approved "Firstname Lastname Trust, City, State" .... so, I'm going to leave that one alone. No one has ever inspected my Form 1 then my AR so closely anyway.

#26 ·
This is very common
mine peeled off th first time I took it shooting.
Left it as is since the peeling only occurred on that "square". Thought of refinishing it but I thought I won't need it since its that little square (which doesn't show defect/ almost looks like it was intended to look silver)
I would hold off and savw the money for a bigger area to fix?

#27 · (Edited)
Gun Firearm Airsoft Airsoft gun Trigger
Airsoft Airsoft gun Trigger Machine Metal
Machine

Here is my finished engraving that was just done about an hour or so ago. Identical engravings on two PS90s (Form 1s are pending :D ) The lion and crosses is my family crest, and the actual trust name I blurred out for the upload, but you get the idea. Awesome guy (Arnold) at AJI Machining in Hialeah Gardens, FL if anybody local needs some great engraving done while-you-wait. He is an FFL-07/SOT as well so he can likely do whatever.

www.ajimachining.com

#30 ·
View attachment 24755 View attachment 24756 View attachment 24757

Here is my finished engraving that was just done about an hour or so ago. Identical engravings on two PS90s (Form 1s are pending :D ) The lion and crosses is my family crest, and the actual trust name I blurred out for the upload, but you get the idea. Awesome guy (Arnold) at AJI Machining in Hialeah Gardens, FL if anybody local needs some great engraving done while-you-wait. He is an FFL-07/SOT as well so he can likely do whatever.

www.ajimachining.com
I'll just find out who you are from the image of the crest. Boom.

Looks good though. :)

#29 ·
Nice!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.