FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up an FNS-9, my first FN and can't wait to shoot it tomorrow. I got it home and soaked it in Break Free CLP for 8 hrs, wiped her clean, lubed her up and I did the color change to the engraved logos. Range report to follow weather permitting Sunday 05-JAN-2014.

P1000509 by brenodo, on Flickr

Reactions: Kennydale

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Looks good! Have fun shooting it!

Reactions: brenodo

·
Registered
469 Posts
Your First FN, but I bet it won't be your last after you shoot it for a while. Don't forget to work the recoil spring by racking the slide several hundred times (gun and mag empty, of course) before hitting the range. That will provide you a less frustrating days! Good shooting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Congrats! What's next?
next up is:

- I'm thinking about adding a Trijicon RMR to the FNS-9

- a little AR customization. I have a Colt LE6920 with MagPul hardware that I want to make a bit more competition friendly, I have my eye on a Rock River Arms R3 Competition upper, going to add a rifle length buffer tube/spring and a PRS stock, Gunfighter charging handle and I'll be looking for an optic for that as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My first outing with the FNS-9 yielded great results today. 8 magazines emptied (8 x 17 = 136 rounds) with 1 failure to feed malfunction. At 25 yards I was getting 3" groupings anything other than that I can tell was user error either I was anticipating or I was trying different sight pictures. Overall I would say my FNS shoots where I point it and feels great in my hands. Now I just need more ammo and more range time... Great purchase! :?:

Reactions: Blackhorse2010

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm glad you had a rewarding day. Hope you loosened the recoil spring as I suggested. makes you first day shooting much more enjoyable. needs to be done to all new semi auto pistols. Live and learn. Shoot safely.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Good stuff, although your tendency to pattern low appears to be a bit of anticipation, or trying to make the gun go "bang".
My wife has the same tendency, and my fix for her is always the same.
Dry practice.
If you achieve a surprise trigger break, they'll all be hitting your point of aim.

Another suggestion: draw a few 1"x1" squares in a piece of white paper and fill them in black.
Hang it and set it at five yards.
Take your time and use the same sight picture and sight alignment and shoot five rounds.
If you have perfect sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger press you should have close to one ragged hole.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand that public forums are full of differing opinions but I'm curious to hear some feedback regarding...this chart/target?

RH Pistol Correction Chart by brenodo, on Flickr

Reactions: neorebel

·
Registered
519 Posts
That chart, which gets posted on every thread about accuracy, was developed for one-handed shooting.
In every class I teach at Front Sight, someone pulls "the chart" out of their range bag.

And while forums are full of opinions, I only post stuff that we teach/is based in facts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fingernail polish.

Clean the oil off.

Shake it up brush on. Let dry, use a cleaning patch with a little finger nail polish remover rub lightly to remove the excess and well la your done!!

Please unload and disassemble first....

The nice thing about using finger nail polish is you can use a hair dryer to speed it up and if you mess up or don't like it, you can take it right off.

I use this to redo the white in my sights when they need it.

How did you do the coloring on the engraved logos? That looks really sharp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fingernail polish.

Shake it up brush on. Let dry, use a cleaning patch with a little finger nail polish remover and well la your done!!

Please unload and disassemble first....
...and this will help correct my hitting low on targets? Awesome, so simple! :twisted: :?

Reactions: aquaticpig

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good stuff, although your tendency to pattern low appears to be a bit of anticipation, or trying to make the gun go "bang".
My wife has the same tendency, and my fix for her is always the same.
Dry practice.
If you achieve a surprise trigger break, they'll all be hitting your point of aim.

Another suggestion: draw a few 1"x1" squares in a piece of white paper and fill them in black.
Hang it and set it at five yards.
Take your time and use the same sight picture and sight alignment and shoot five rounds.
If you have perfect sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger press you should have close to one ragged hole.

something like this ? (circles instead of squares)

Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 9.01.49 PM by brenodo, on Flickr

·
Registered
519 Posts
That will work, but I personally prefer squares for this drill because it "matches" up better with the square front sight.
Regardless of which you use the important thing to take away is:
1- perfect sight picture
2- perfect sight alignment
3- perfect trigger press with a surprise trigger break

Take your time with each shot.
Take up the slack and pressssssss.
Remember to only let the trigger out to the reset.
Five shots per dot/square.
There's no bonus for shooting fast.

Please let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 37 Posts