FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a SCAR 17s for about the last three weeks. It's my retirement gift to myself. I'm lucky enough to have a LEO/military dealer near by and I didn't think $100 per year of service was too bad.

So far I've put a Magpull AFG and a Harris bipod (with adapter) on it. I'm looking at a Leupold VX-R for it as well.

I finally got to take it to the range last Sunday. It was an indoor, 25-yard range and I had to shoot .308 frangible rounds (the range allows only frangible ammunition for rifles), so I didn't try to zero it; just wanted to get a feel for the rifle. Oh man! Loud, brass flying everywhere, great fun. I also had my first "Whatcha got there?" moment. He got the manufacturer correct, but thought it was an FAL. I took my FNX-45 as well, so it was a bad day to be the paper bad guy at the other end of my lane.

A few observations:

1. This is my first 7.62mm rifle, so I was expecting much greater recoil compared to 5.56mm; I was surprised - a lot less than I was expecting.

2. I've read a lot about the trigger here on the forum; I thought it was fine. But all my rifle shooting has been with (literally) military triggers, so I might not be qualified to judge.

3. Love how simple it is to field strip; still getting used to the firing pin retaining pin, though.

There is a club with a 400-yard range about an hour from my house, so I'm looking forward to getting out there as soon as the weather (and my schedule) improves a bit more.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Welcome to the Forum; knowing of your excitement on your gift to yourself. Glad you got thru 30 yrs. OK.
I did about the same, 2.5 yrs. ago.... birthday gift to me. If not now... when?
Much more good trigger- time to you. Thanks for yor service.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome!
That break is LOUD and indoors just makes it that much worse.
1. The SCAR 17 is one tame 7.62x51.
2. The aftermarket triggers have some advantages but when you are playing rough they can be a little quicker releasing than you think.
3. It runs clean too. You'll get used to the retaining pin sticking out and it won't bug you as much.

A 400 yard range is just what a 17 needs for a decent workout. Think you are smiling now, wait until you get the Leopold on it and see what it can do.

It's a damn fine gift! Fitting. You deserve it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Welcome and from my wife and I both, thank you for your service!! Enjoy that rifle and your well earned retirement!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Its a must to post a picture of your new SCAR 17 for us to see.

Congratulations on the purchase. She will bring you many years of enjoyment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Battlerifleman & Turnanewleaf,

Yes, I think I had the loudest thing going in there. The brass was all over the back of the bay too. I think the brass was coming out of the port, hitting the deflector, then bouncing off the lane partition, which sent it flying behind me. The people back there must have been dodging it, but no one complained.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Welcome! And thank you for your service

Reactions: JohnH

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hey, Happy retirement! Enjoy the scar. If you ever make it out Montana way let me know, I'll take you out to our 600 yard range so you can stretch her legs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts