FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back my favorite LGS posted a picture on Facebook of their custom PTR-91 cerakoted in "OD Grey". I asked if they made a typo and they replied, nope! A few days later I was in the area so I stopped by to look at it in person. Damn... they really pulled off a nice, matte look without it being that typical GI looking piece of equipment. I asked about it and they said they mixed Sniper Grey with OD Green to come up with a bit more mellow look. Because I do like the FNX 40 in its two-tone getup (but not the stark contrast of the silver and black) I decided to go ahead and get the job done (and some Ameriglo night sights installed). I also confessed my displeasure with the semi-gloss, rough finish of the factory magazines, and they said they could cerakote those black no problem!

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

I tried my best to edit my camera's RAW files to attempt to achieve the most realistic interpretation of how this looks in real life but it was incredibly difficult. They came out looking pretty much OD Green at this point. I decided to shoot another photo and simply save/resize the RAW file without any corrections as compared to a brand new US GI .50 cal ammo can (actually this one had C4 in it and still smells terrible).

3-1.jpg

Anyway, not a huge change but IMO came out looking stellar. Just wanted to share, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I am interested to see how it holds up to EDC carry over time.

Of note:

-While disassembly, they told me they had to break the safety/decocker in order to get it out completely so the one on there now is brand new (not sure if was an 'oopsie' or if that's just the way it is designed)

-While decocking the lever tends to hang in the down position after the hammer drops. The tiniest amount of pressure is enough to get it to go back up to the fire position. After lubing, shooting 200 rounds, cleaning, and relubing sometimes the decocker will go back up on its own, sometimes it sticks in the down position. This worried me at first but I made sure to fully test the operation of the safety to confirm it is fully functional. Also firing, decoking, firing, decoking, repeat repeat repeat has loosened it up some. I assume this due to the additional thickness of the cerakote and has no impact on the function of pistol. I feel comfortable with this as my EDC.

-The additional thickness of the cerakote on the magazines and the inside of the magazine well has created a rather firm fitment. Magazines will not drop free on their own. The magazine release is also very stiff. I asked about this and am considering having some divots removed from either side of the magazine well in order to get a better grip. It seems to be a popular mod and I have seen it on quite a few pistols now. But for me it seems like it would be necessary rather than a pure aesthetic mod.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Looks good!

Reactions: UTFNX

·
Registered
60 Posts
While disassembly, they told me they had to break the safety/decocker in order to get it out completely so the one on there now is brand new (not sure if was an 'oopsie' or if that's just the way it is designed) ..

No you don't!!!!!! ON the top and bottom are holes.....you put a paper clip in it and push it in to remove them JUST ASK FNH!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for this information. I was really skeptical that someone would design the pistol this way in the first place.

Also I'm glad you all like it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts