Sorry for crappy pic.

Group shot...

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Please shrink down the photos, however - as per the forum rules:

Rule #9:

http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=3

9. Please don't post photos larger than 750-800 pixels wide. Sometimes people post photos over 2000 pixels wide, and this scrolls off the screen for 90% of the members here. Management shouldn't have to go and resize everyone's photos. Overly large photos may be deleted

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry...my bad! Frickin' noob mistake. :oops:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fred G Sanford said:
That is an aweesome color scheme!
Thanks alot. :D I was really aprehensive about slapping a paint-job on my brand new rifle, but I really didn't care for the factory black. I am really proud of the way it turned out. Took my time, fought my impatience with every ounce of my being. Took me all of four days, but I think it was worth every minute.

Couldn't hve done it without a great product like DuraCoat.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Getting your Starship Trooper on! :?

Nice job. Is it Duracoat?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ShipWreck said:
Thanks for resizing the photos.
Np. I was just in a rush. Won't happen next time.
ShipWreck said:
Wow, you did that yourself?
Sure did. Just finished it tonight.
ShipWreck said:
Impressive. I do not have the skills for that.
That's what I thought. You can do it. It just takes time and patience. I was terrified when I started laying down the first coat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Templar said:
Getting your Starship Trooper on! :?

Nice job. Is it Duracoat?
Thanks. Yep...Urban MirageFlage.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Nunya_Binnez said:
That's what I thought. You can do it. It just takes time and patience. I was terrified when I started laying down the first coat.
No, you've never seen me try to work with paint :lol: - I would never try it on an expensive firearm.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I may pick up a cheap bolt gun and attempt to paint it. I don't think I would have started on a FS2000. I'm also contomplating on doing an optic, but not sure how I would keep paint off of the glass.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
djv38 said:
I may pick up a cheap bolt gun and attempt to paint it. I don't think I would have started on a FS2000. I'm also contomplating on doing an optic, but not sure how I would keep paint off of the glass.
If the paint scheme you intend to use on the optic contains black (assuming that's the color of the body of the optic), you can mask the ends of it with blue 3M painter's tape and then add masking (in my case, digital MirageFlage stencils) to break up the clean line caused by the edge of the tape, and incorporate it into the camo scheme. If you are just doing a solid color, you can do what I did on the lens portion of my light. I put a piece of tape on each end and put it tape-side-down on a cutting board. Then with a new razorblade, I cut the excess tape off by placing the side of the blade blade against the side of the scope with the corner edge (point) of the blade cutting throught the tape into the cutting board, BUT instead of trying to move the blade around the scope, I turned the scope and kept the blade still. That way it cut the tape in a perfect circle around end of the scope without risking nicking the scope or anything silly like that. It worked really well.

If this is confusing, I will post a video demonstration, but it may take a few days before I can find the time. Let me know.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
That makes perfect sense (to me at least).

If I do it, there will be no black. I wan't a more natural looking pattern and probably won't use a kit. Thanks for the tips :shock:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
A previous sponsor here was doing digital camo PS90s - I am SO tempted to send mine in - but I wanna see 1 in person 1st before I do that to my fav rifle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ShipWreck said:
A previous sponsor here was doing digital camo PS90s - I am SO tempted to send mine in - but I wanna see 1 in person 1st before I do that to my fav rifle.
I have to say that I was apprehensive, but the finished product (at least the Duracoat) is fantastic. I am absolutely thrilled by the resulting finish. Pictures can't do it justice.

I will say that before putting a layer of matte clearcoat on it, I was only slightly pleased, but the clearcoat was the finishing touch that pulled it all together. As LCW says in the literature, it evens out the uneven sheen that can occur between the different colors/coats. Before the clear it looked cool, afterward it looked kick-a$$!! (imho)

·
Registered
33 Posts
(apologies in advance for bumping an old thread)

I would LOVE to do this on my FS2000 Standard, but using more black, less grey and very little white, making it look more like the demonstration photo from Duracoat:

I'm actually having this done to my Beretta 90-Two with a Streamlight TLR-2 mounted on it at this very moment, and having the FS2000 and the Beretta handgun looking like "twins" would be VERY cool!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts