FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it came today!!! Mounted a Nikon P308 and adjusted the stock.

Yep. It sure is blue. It's very well balanced and fits me like a glove. Gotta level the scope and bore sight it tomorrow as well as tear it down and clean out the factory goop. Then, I'm off to the range Sunday.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Beautiful!

I wanted one, but they don't seem to come threaded, and the rail up front seems to inhibit getting it threaded.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The front base is only held on by two cap screws. No trouble to remove. Threading might get into one of the screw holes.....but I doubt it and it wouldn't hurt anything if it did. Use a flashhider with a quick detach set up.

My plan is to run the dog poop outta this rifle and see what it's gonna do. IF, after 750-1000 rounds it hasn't shown me any problems, I'm gonna throw the warranty to the wind and get it threaded. A YHM titanium phantom would be AWFULLY sweet on the end of this thang!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got two complaints about the stock and they ain't color related. First, the guys at FN didn't drill it for a sling swivel. God I hate to start drilling on this gun, but I HAVE to have a sling.
Second, its a little too smooth. They did a little TOO good a job finishing it. It's slicker'n possum crap. Were it not for the stippling, it would be nearly impossible to maintain a grip on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it cleaned and detailed inside. What a mess. Looks like they just emptied a grease gun off in there!
i know this much, were it not for a very good YouTube video I wouldn't have been able to figure it out. It's quite complicated taking all the way down. With the video, it wasn't hard at all. Just tedious.

Heres the video I used. This guy is European and couldn't say sooie if the hogs was eatin' him alive but he's good at making it clear what's going on. I'd buy him a beer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=22XHIXcrC24

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, well...it'll do I guess.

First five shots got me to zero. Then ten more. THis was at (50) yards.

Then I did some 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I was gonna do 10 shot groups but DAMN this rifle gets HOT!!!!

IT'll do an inch at 100 with 150g Sierra spire point boat tail soft points & BL-C2. I know it will do better with load development.

Learned one thing about the FN FNAR. There's a counter weight on the gas system. It has two spring loaded plungers that hold it in place and the action bars ride in the side of it. You can put that in backwards and the rifle WILL NOT cycle. I shot the first five rounds, adjusting my scope as I went...it was basically a straight pull bolt action. My heart just fell. AHHH!!! I broke it down on the bench there and whipped out my iPhone. RE-watched the video and low and behold, I had that counterweight on facing the wrong way. Luck I didn't screw something up!!! Anyway, put it back together and ran another 145 rounds through the rifle without a single hiccup, belch or fart. FLAWLESS.

I'm pretty happy at the moment. WOOT!!!!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Awesome Caster. Thanks for posting. I really like the new stock and a little sand paper or grip tape should address your issues. It is much more sexy than my black version. Can you adjust the stock cant like with the plane jane version?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Beautiful rifle and nice shooting!

I found out about the inertia block the hard way, too. Those are the lessons that tend to stick best.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I boke out the vibro-engraver and put an arrow with the words 'Towards Muzzle' on that little slut puppy. This ole boy ain't doin' that again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, she really likes M80 ball!
I made a pretty nice trade for 1K rounds of M80 Lake City that was delinked minigun ammo. It shot very well. It will put 10 rounds inside a two inch circle at 100 yards if I do my part and let it cool between groups. They open up to around 2.75-3.0 inches if I run it hot. That's still not bad in my book. I do beleive I'm sold on this one!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm with you Caster...FNAR's are one of the best kept secrets around.
Since you've got those M80's...give the old Mex-Match recipes a try if you reload.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts