FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pick a new FNP-45 2 days ago, went shooting yesterday and on my 3rd load (all with 14 rnds) when I got to the 7th rnd. the mag spring and/or the round got stock in the mag. not pushing it up, resulting on no rnd loading; it did it 2 times with one of the mags, I took it apart and oil it and it worked the rest of the sooting time, I did not have the other 2 mags. with me, I will try them in a later time. Have any one experience the same thing? please let me know. Other than the mag. issue the pistol worked good and very accurate....

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is the first time I have heard of the .45 mags doing that. But I'll tell you this. The reason that I carry extra magazines with me for my carry pistol is not so I have tons of ammo, its because the magazine is the most likely part of the gun to have a failure.

Bad mags will happen. Nothing in manufacturing is perfect, no matter how much we want it to be. I have had USGI AR15 mags that have given me grief, and I have had the crappy USA AR15 mags work perfect for me. This is why it is good to test function on all magazines. If you have one that gives you problems mark it and get back to it later. I have a bunch of Black Dog mags for my .22 AR conversion and they all work great except one that somehow causes the spent casing to jam up in the action. I was able to take the mag apart, clean it and I think it worked fine after that.

Myself I like to keep about 10 magazines on hand per pistol. If one fails I at least have more to keep me going.

You could try to disassemble the mag and try to diagnose the problem. If it continues I believe if you give FN customer service a call, they will take care of you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
it happens. Did you try giving the spring a good tug or two? sometimes stretching them out can be a temp fix. More like could be a bad bur on the lip of the mag. I would just have it replaced, or buy new

·
Registered
5 Posts
What ammo are you using? Your cartridge OAL might be too long. This happens a lot with reloads.

Try ball ammo, with an OAL of 1.260" or less.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I was using winchester target factory rounds; I will try a different brand and see what happen. Keep tou posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE

UPSATE! I went out to the range again and this time I used CCI Blazer rounds, 100 to be exact and NONE got stock on the mag :cool: so that may be the reason some of the rounds where a little longer..... will see, I actually fill out that mag 4 times with no problems the others worked fine too :? ...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I use the winchesters in my FNP-45 with no problems!
The ones in the white boxes. 230 gr FMJ.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I took it apart and oil it and it worked the rest of the sooting time, I did not have the other 2 mags. with me,
You don't want oil or grease in a magazine. It will just become a dirt magnet. You would be best served by cleaning all the oil out of the magazine.

--
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts