FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I just got my new FNP-9 Stainless yesterday. It's my first handgun in many, many years.

When I got it home, I disassembled it to clean the shipping/storage gunk out of it, and noticed what appears to be rust on the inside of the barrel. It's pretty light, and only in the "grooves" of the rifling, not the "ridges". Is this normal on a new gun?

I tried cleaning it off with swabs and a brush, but there's still some there. Should I be worried about it? Will it come off over time/multiple cleanings? Is there something else I can do to clean it off?

I'm going shooting on Wednesday (5/16), and I'm not sure if I should put any rounds through it yet.

Any help for this noob is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BuckeyeInMI

·
Registered
75 Posts
They all come looking like that. 20 rounds of 9mm FMJ will shine it right up, then clean it and soak the barrel in a little bore solvent. Let it cure a bit. clean the barrel again and coat with a little Breakfree and your good to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kinda what I thought, but like I said, it's been many years since I've owned a pistol. The last one I had was a .45, and it was nearly perfect.

The rust is really pretty minor, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks,

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
If the barrel is stainless, I am not surprised. I had a stainless Beretta once, and the barrel was like that. It's a pain in the butt to clean, but it isn't rust. It's from the ammo. They probably test fired it at the factory.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Correct Ship...FN does not clean the pistol after firing the test round.

The gun comes with the test round casing in a small envelope inside the plastic gun case.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Some states require that the dealer take it and turn it into the state for ballistic testing. Instead of guess where certain guns are sent to - they just put them in with every gun.

That way, theoretically, if you kill someone and leave the casing behind - they might be able t figure out who did it.

I read an article about this a while back - not a single murder has been solved by this technique.

·
Registered
857 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I read an article about this a while back - not a single murder has been solved by this technique.
And it never it will, but when did a lib ever care if a law was effective or not?

·
Registered
23 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Some states require that the dealer take it and turn it into the state for ballistic testing. Instead of guess where certain guns are sent to - they just put them in with every gun.

That way, theoretically, if you kill someone and leave the casing behind - they might be able t figure out who did it.

Yep, has to do with distinctive firing pin markings, you may be able to prove what weapon fired the round but not who pulled the trigger, so I'd say yes, no murder been solved this way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts