FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an FNS 9 in black with night sights and 10 round magazines ( I live in CT). Overall I like the gun a lot. It's more accurate than I am and feels good. I usually shoot a CZ 75B and Glock 19. The Glock 19 trigger guard was causing knuckle pain and no matter what I did, it continued to cut into my large knuckle. The FNS 9 feels great, like the CZ 75B.

I've put about 400 rounds through it and have had one FTL and one FTE. Don't know why but I was shooting Perfecta ammo (Walmart) and Blazer Brass, so that may explain it. The magazine dropped out once but I think it was my error for not seating it hard enough. The night sights have no name or markings on them. Are they Trijicon? The older versions from 2012 have the name on the sights. I read here about the gun shooting low so I aim with the front sight covering the bulls eye unlike the 6 o'clock hold with the CZ and G 19. Takes some getting used to but I am tending to shoot to the left. I'm pretty sure its my trigger finger and not the gun.

I find the trigger very heavy. Probably in the 7.5+ range. I hope it will lighten up since the heavy trigger affects my accuracy. One strange thing I noticed after I got home was the test shell case was dated September 2013 and I assume the gun was made around that time. It's odd that it sat on the shelf for 21 months, especially in the post-Sandy Hook buying frenzy. I bought the 10 round magazine version so sales are much smaller than full capacity magazine states. Is it safe to assume that the trigger issues were fixed by September 2013?

All in all it's a great gun. I posted one of my better targets using Perfecta (Walmart brand) 9MM 115 grain ammo at 9 yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Welcome. The FNS 9 is a great pistol. It will serve you well. Happy shooting.:icon_thumbup:

·
Registered
218 Posts
To answer your questions in no particular order:

Yes, the trigger will lighten up over time. Mine started somewhere between 7 and 7.5, and is now down to somewhere between 4.5 and 5.

FTF/FTE errors aren't uncommon for a little while on most FNS handguns (especially the 9mm) since FN uses some beastly springs. This too shall pass.

Yes, unless FN has made a parts change, if your FNS came with night sights they are indeed Trijicon (specifically, stock tritium sights manufactured by Trijicon for FNH.) It is my understanding that the 2012 models that have the Trijicon marking are the earliest production runs (before FN placed the second bulk order with Trijicon for unmarked stock.)

The "trigger issue" was never an issue at all unless your firearm was truly defective (thus preventing you from actuating the slide and "powering through" the problem, but yes, something minor was changed by 2013 and they seem to now be incapable of replicating the malfunction.

21 months isn't unreasonable, considering 1.) The limited-capacity versions aren't in nearly as high of a demand as the standard version, and 2.) FN spent the better part of two years stockpiling these firearms. Whether they were building for a contract that never materialized or not (as is some speculation) the end result was FN reducing the MSRP of the black FNS models by $100 in late 2014.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I bought my two-tone FNS-9 around Christmas and am very pleased with it. My trigger was very good from the get-go, in fact it is the best striker fired trigger that I own. I do work on it regularly by dry firing with snap caps. I'll guess that I have snapped my FNS over a thousand times since I bought it. I do this with all my striker fire guns and it does smooth out the trigger pull. Snap caps are cheap, ammo is not.

Do you like your night sights. I doubted that my unmarked ones are Trijicons, but someone here assures me that they are. They are great daytime sights but so dim as to be almost useless in low light.

My FNS is also accurate, although like you I had to adjust my sight picture. Overall, it is my favorite full size 9mm of all the different brands and models that I have ever owned. I will likely pick up a compact in the future.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine arrived today. I like the way it is built, and the way it handles. The trigger seems to be short and smooth and a little heavy, but the heaviness or weight should lighten up with use (and dry-firing).

I am impressed by the grip and added only two small patches of 3M stair-tape (aka skater tape) for my thumb and the inside base of my trigger finger (e.g., on opposite sides of the grip, just below the slide releases). Added later: removed the piece of tape by my thumb to make it easier to "find" and operate the slide lock lever.

This pistol does have the thinnest barrel wall I have ever seen, though.

Looking forward to a trip to the range this weekend.

·
Registered
218 Posts
This pistol does have the thinnest barrel wall I have ever seen, though.
Behold the miracle of a cold-forged barrel. Thinner, lighter, stronger, better.

Though realistically (and honestly) with modern metallurgy there's no point in a fat barrel wall anymore in a handgun (or any rifled firearm that doesn't have a selective-fire/automatic capability. Fat barrels are for older, weaker metals and lazy manufacturers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought it with the night sights for $50 extra that sounded like a good deal. At the time I saw that aftermarket Trijicon's were in the $100+ range and thought the sights would be like the ones Trijicon offers on their website. Like you, I find them small and dim and a disappointment. They are good for daytime but so what. That's what the regular sights are for. Otherwise I like the FNS 9 a lot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had a double feed issue on mine just once. I will chalk it off as limp wrist as it was the first round I fired in an speed reload drill. I also had changed to the flat back strap which may of attributed to the limp wrist as I was a custom to the humped back strap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts