FN Herstal Firearms banner

My new FNS - how I ended up with it

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  RumzD 
#1 ·
For the last month I had been hunting for a high capacity 9mm. Constant research, talked to friends, hit the local range and rented everything that looked reasonable. Initially I was focused on the Sig Sauer P226. I saw the V25 version (Navy Seal model) and thought it was the coolest gun ever, even if it was stupid expensive. Then I fired a P226 at the range and it just felt wrong for me; not right in my hand, couldn't hit anything - just not good. Tried a Beretta 92FS and meh - didn't care for it either.

I then tried a Gen 4 Glock 19 and was really impressed. My accuracy was pretty decent and the gun just felt right. Sure it looked like a brick with a trigger but it felt smooth and fit my hand perfectly. I also tried a friend's Springfield XDM and found I was incredibly accurate with it. The XMD fit my hand well, shot fantastic and was reasonably priced. When I saw that my LGS had both the Glock 19 and the XDM on sale for great prices I made my move.

The LGS owner let me fiddle with both and saw me struggling to decide and said "If you want a great gun you need to consider the FNS-9. It will shoot far better than the Glock." He handed me an FNS-9 and damn - fit my hand like a glove. He had an FNS-9 strapped to his side at the time and said it was his primary carry and that all of his Glocks were now just sitting in the back of his safe, that the FNS was the only pistol he enjoyed shooting. He mentioned that the FNS was made right here in the USA. We talked for a good 15 minutes on merits of the FNS and finally I just decided to pull the trigger. I walked out with the FNS-9.

This is very unlike me. I do exhaustive research. I read everything I could find on each gun I was considering. Watched countless YouTube videos comparing different models to one another. In all of that research the FNS never hit my radar, yet after holding it in my hand for all of ten minutes I was walking out with it.

Took it to the range yesterday. Set up some 8" targets and set the distance to 20'. Deep breath, put the sights on the target and squeezed off my first round.

Bullseye. Dead-fricken-center.

Gun Firearm Games Recreation Shooting sport

The rest of the magazine was within a 4" circle with a few flyers because yours truly wasn't always focused. Put 100 rounds through in that first session, no misfires, no issues. So happy with this gun! Just thought I'd share.

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice shooting, my younger brother (second range session) shot my FNX-45 Tactical and FNX-40 with great accuracy. His first shot with my FNX-45 Tactical was a center hit on the X and he had consistent groupings. He loves my FNX(s); but we did not have time to shot all my FNH firearms. I had to give detailed instruction before and during our range session as he is new to firearms and he freaked when I gave him the 45 ACP to shoot first as we were shooting 45 ACP, 40 S&W and 9x19mm. Once we finished he understood why I picked the order of calibers.

#11 ·
Ha! What really got me was the made in the USA part. The LGS owner had a decent southern accent and said about the Glock & XDM I was considering "Y'all want a gun made in Au-stree-yah or Cro-ay-chia? This gun's made raht here."

He did have a point.

#13 ·
It's the connection to John Moses Browning that you're really looking to exploit by being willfully seduced into the FN lair. It's all good here.

Welcome aboard.

Reactions: dralison
#14 ·
Just got mine too man... really surprised not a lot of people know much about these little gems. I started doing some research on it b/c I wanted something from a well-known maker and wasen't your run of the mill handgun (ie. glock,S&W,SA...). I think hickok45's review on youtube was what sold me. Really nice that people make these reviews on youtube, hell you can get a thorough review on just about anything these days. Congrats man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.