FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had purchased 200 rounds of Blazer Brass 230gr .45 acp in advance of my Tac's arrival and took it to the range today. Very soft shooting, much softer in fact than my FNX-40 which was expected. All was going well until after 50 rds or so when the trigger reset started hanging up on me. Now I've read these pistols have very stiff springs from the factory so it didn't concern me that much but it did surprise me. I emptied the weapon and rapidly racked the slide a few times while holding the trigger back to see if I could break it in, after that and 50 rounds more all went well. It is an absolute pleasure to shoot, in comparison to my Bud's new FNX-45 with nearly 1500 rds down range there is a noticeable difference in the two triggers, clearly I need to shoot it more to smooth out the trigger and that shouldn't be a problem... :?

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Awesome! So happy that you worked through it, were aware of it and looking out for it. So many times as of late folks are coming into the FNX45T threads complaint about the weapon being a failure due to mags not dropping free, trigger reset, etc....refreshing to read your perspective that in do time with more rounds down range everything will settle in nicely! And, next time we want to see a picture of your target:)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Glad you like it SeaMac:?, man i'm hating the weather here in colo::FF::, I'd love to be out shooting right now.:cry:

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks BBG, oh yeah I've seen all the negative comments about the Tac, you just have to be patient and shoot it to break it in which I fully intend to do. As for targets, I usually just toss 'em in the trash but I'll take some photos before they get tossed next time around.

Awesome! So happy that you worked through it, were aware of it and looking out for it. So many times as of late folks are coming into the FNX45T threads complaint about the weapon being a failure due to mags not dropping free, trigger reset, etc....refreshing to read your perspective that in do time with more rounds down range everything will settle in nicely! And, next time we want to see a picture of your target:)

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's awesome R, very pleased with my purchase wasn't sure how I'd like the raised sights, it seems as if I like 'em very much. We'll see how the Zahal DPM works with it once it arrives, supposedly reducing muzzle flip.

Glad you like it SeaMac:?, man i'm hating the weather here in colo::FF::, I'd love to be out shooting right now.:cry:

Reactions: rslsss

·
Registered
604 Posts
Excellent news! Glad you're liking it.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
Congrats! You'll dig it even more with the RMR.

Reactions: LESTER and SeaMac

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If Dvor ever finds one to send me, they oversold the RM07's but yes it WILL be a blast (pun intended).

Congrats! You'll dig it even more with the RMR.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
.. Very soft shooting, much softer in fact than my FNX-40 which was expected..:?
-warning, the pics are horrible.
Yes, I agree, the 45 Tac recoil "rolls" instead of snaps.
The .40S&W round is also a favorite, but usually comes with an angry little snap to it.

The FNX Tac is a great target shooter.
Tritium and 15+1 45ACP is highly desirable.

I love to compare these ACP Tacs. IMG_1144.jpg

The FNXTac sticks in the hand well with the factory backstrap, as it comes installed when the new case is opened.
The two lines that run up and down the installed backstrap help with sweaty/greasy hands.
The other two FNX backstraps let it squirm a bit more from side to side due to the horizontal rib lines.
-I'll stick w/ the FNX factory installed backstrap (I like it).

IMG_1142.jpg IMG_1140blurr.jpg IMG_1138blurr.jpg

My suggestion is to get both before kicking the bucket.
...'fun with both the dirty girls from Belgium and Germany in the same night...

...no regrets.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Nice, glad you work the issue out. How do you like the X5L? Is the front of light covered in powder after the range?

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I seem to prefer the as-equipped backstrap too and will probably not play with the others. As for the HK, I held one but it didn't fit glove like in my hand as did both of my FNX's.

-warning, the pics are horrible.
Yes, I agree, the 45 Tac recoil "rolls" instead of snaps.
The .40S&W round is also a favorite, but usually comes with an angry little snap to it.

The FNX Tac is a great target shooter.
Tritium and 15+1 45ACP is highly desirable.

I love to compare these ACP Tacs. View attachment 23347

The FNXTac sticks in the hand well with the factory backstrap, as it comes installed when the new case is opened.
The two lines that run up and down the installed backstrap help with sweaty/greasy hands.
The other two FNX backstraps let it squirm a bit more from side to side due to the horizontal rib lines.
-I'll stick w/ the FNX factory installed backstrap (I like it).

View attachment 23348 View attachment 23349 View attachment 23351

My suggestion is to get both before kicking the bucket.
...'fun with both the dirty girls from Belgium and Germany in the same night...

...no regrets.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did not have the X5L with me today, I will later and re-zero it since it was tuned to my FNX-40 which seriously powder covered the light, another reason I don't like them to protrude beyond the muzzle. Today was "get familiar with the Tac" day, in future range trips I hope to try out the Zahal DPM, RMR RM07 and X5L. I'll post my review of each as time goes by.

Nice, glad you work the issue out. How do you like the X5L? Is the front of light covered in powder after the range?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm glad you liked it. I'm jealous, I haven't been able to get mine out yet. Weather here in maine hasn't been that great. I want to get an RMR to but I've never had one before and not sure which one to get.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I seem to prefer the as-equipped backstrap too and will probably not play with the others. As for the HK, I held one but it didn't fit glove like in my hand as did both of my FNX's.
If we're ever in political pinch where only 10rd mags are legal...then it will have to fit.
- wear a different glove possibly!

Seriously though, the FNX feels better in my hand too,....shh,...don't tell the HKtac ...ok?! ;)

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
I had purchased 200 rounds of Blazer Brass 230gr .45 acp in advance of my Tac's arrival and took it to the range today. Very soft shooting, much softer in fact than my FNX-40 which was expected. All was going well until after 50 rds or so when the trigger reset started hanging up on me. Now I've read these pistols have very stiff springs from the factory so it didn't concern me that much but it did surprise me. I emptied the weapon and rapidly racked the slide a few times while holding the trigger back to see if I could break it in, after that and 50 rounds more all went well. It is an absolute pleasure to shoot, in comparison to my Bud's new FNX-45 with nearly 1500 rds down range there is a noticeable difference in the two triggers, clearly I need to shoot it more to smooth out the trigger and that shouldn't be a problem... :?

i want one

·
Registered
98 Posts
SeaMac,

When are you getting your Scar to go with your new 45 Tac? Let me know because I shoot at Okeechobee often and would like to burn some brass with you out there.

-Jeff

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm glad you liked it. I'm jealous, I haven't been able to get mine out yet. Weather here in maine hasn't been that great. I want to get an RMR to but I've never had one before and not sure which one to get.
^^^^^ Don't be jealous, put thickly insulated foul weather gear on and go shoot yours, be nice to hear how it shoots in inclement weather too. ^^^^^

If we're ever in political pinch where only 10rd mags are legal...then it will have to fit.
- wear a different glove possibly!

Seriously though, the FNX feels better in my hand too,....shh,...don't tell the HKtac ...ok?! ;)
^^^^^ You have my word, I will not tell your HK you're cheating on it with a Belgian. ^^^^^

i want one
^^^^^ Why haven't you bought one? ^^^^^

SeaMac,

When are you getting your Scar to go with your new 45 Tac? Let me know because I shoot at Okeechobee often and would like to burn some brass with you out there.

-Jeff
^^^^^ I had hoped to hear from my FFL today telling me the SCAR arrived, sadly I did not. As soon as the 16s and accessories are here and assembled you'll know. Interestingly, my Geissele trigger, Trijicon SRS killFlash/Obj. Flip Cover and more Frog Slobber arrived today. I have a trigger but no rifle, what's a guy to do?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts