FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Christmas present arrived. I was actually waiting to see if I could find one in fde but no luck. So I ordered the black one on Christmas eve and it came in on the 30th.

I took it out and ran 3 mags through it just to shoot it. I have some extra mags on the way for it. I am looking at adding the adjustable rmr, a light and I am looking getting an Osprey for it too. I have also found a holster for it that will work with the optic, light and has different levels of retention available.

In the second picture is my edc, my FNP-45, that I have owned since around 2008/ 2009.
Happy New Year.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Congrats!

I have a Surefire X300u on mine. And an Osprey, which is very fun :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"I have also found a holster for it that will work with the optic, light and has different levels of retention available."

Which holster is that?
I just found the company yesterday and from the info on their website it seems they can make a holster like I described. I have not yet looked up reviews of their product quality and such. I was planning to give them a call soon.

http://www.kt-mech.com/models/FNX45TAC.html

·
Premium Member
9,863 Posts
Congrats on the Tactical!

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
What are the pro's & cons between the Osprey and the octane?
Osprey

Octane

I looked at both. In the end, it was due to cost, the Octane being less expensive; color, the Octane available in FDE; and serviceability, the Octane can be disassembled for cleaning.

The Osprey has some advantages and some people on the forum like them. Just as many like the Octane.

The Osprey has a lower profile for firearms that do not have "silencer" sights, the construction is rectangular instead or round, it is about an ounce lighter and a little bit shorter but is not serviceable for cleaning.

Construction materials on both of them are about the same.

Ultimately, you will need to decide what is right for you.

On an aside, you can contact Jeremy from Silencer Shop, he is a forum vendor so they have their own sub forum. Jeremy can answer all your questions and has been very helpful for the membership and at times offers great deals for FN members only.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I love my Osprey. No issues with about 1000 rounds through it so far. The Silencer Shop is awesome, I will not buy a suppressor from anyone else in the future. I also have Viridian C5L on mine, jury is still out on that. One range session with it, worked pretty good.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info. I did not know that the user could not take apart the Osprey. I have seen pics of the internals but none had a description that it was not user serviceable.

That being said, everyone that seems to have one loves it. It will be a tough decision. If cost was not a factor, what might you have gone with?

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I would not at all let the fact that the Osprey is not user serviceable from the factory sway your decision. If you want it to be user serviceable just get in touch with this group. They do unbelievable work and are at the forefront of the field for sure:

http://www.stalkingrhino.com

Thanks for the info. I did not know that the user could not take apart the Osprey. I have seen pics of the internals but none had a description that it was not user serviceable.

That being said, everyone that seems to have one loves it. It will be a tough decision. If cost was not a factor, what might you have gone with?

·
Premium Member
9,863 Posts
I went with the Octane, mostly for the user serviceability. But that's all I can really say right now. I still have about a couple months before it's in my hands.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts

For me, the final deciding factor was the FDE availability of the Octane, all other things being equal. I did not want a black can for my FDE Tactical. I also have a FDE ATI that I use the can with as well. Jeremy also help with my questions and it was really a toss up between the two but the Octane won out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Christmas present arrived. I was actually waiting to see if I could find one in fde but no luck. So I ordered the black one on Christmas eve and it came in on the 30th.

I took it out and ran 3 mags through it just to shoot it. I have some extra mags on the way for it. I am looking at adding the adjustable rmr, a light and I am looking getting an Osprey for it too. I have also found a holster for it that will work with the optic, light and has different levels of retention available.

In the second picture is my edc, my FNP-45, that I have owned since around 2008/ 2009.
Happy New Year.

I was also looking for an FDE to no avail. Then I happened on High Plains Gun Shop out in NM. They had it in stock and at a really good price.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts