FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I've been lurking here a bit. I thought I'd write my first post because I just picked up my new black stocked FS2000!

Didn't get a chance to handle one before buying, so I was a bit nervous. Nothing to worry about! I think the ergonomics are awesome, and the rifle really fits me well. Now if only they put the thing in a plastic bag before putting it in the box, so it didn't look like just came in from a blizzard.

A couple of observations on first meeting. #1 - the double-jointed charging handle seems a bit superfluous, and it seems to me that a single pivoting handle would have worked just as well. Maybe there's a reason for it. #2 - people have complained that there's no carry handle on the rifle, but there is! It's hidden in plain sight. Actually, you just flip the rifle upside down, and use the large thumbhole in the stock as a handle. It's comfortable, balances the rifle well, strong, and it's there.

The trigger is a bit heavy, but seems like it would be very controllable, mainly because there is so little overtravel. I've tried dry firing a bit, and I think I could really get used to it. Of course, it's no 3-lb AR match trigger!

Mag changes aren't that bad either. They do seem to get a bit hung up on the rubber seal. It occurs to me that if it didn't get easier after some time with it, I might cut off those little "nubbins" on the rubber seal and that might reduce the drag a little.

I really like the safety switch! That thing's really cool, and it works!

Now I've just got to decide what optic to put on it. I've got an ACOG TA01NSN and an Aimpoint on other rifles that I'll try out. One configuration I'm aching to try is the EoTech 557 and flip-to-side magnifier. My only concern with that setup it that it may make the FS2000 a bit heavy.

Anyway, I just wanted to say "Hi" to all. Thanks for all the great info. Now I can't wait to try this bad boy out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
have fun and give us a report!

:shock:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey, that reminds me: one time in Iraq, we saw a white object in the road (on base, don't worry). It looked like a to-go dinner plate, so my boss ran it over with an up-armored humvee. Turns out, it was the box for a brand new EOtech, still in the wrapper. It was amazingly undamaged; the protective hood was a little bent, and the batteries were messed up, but it still worked just fine. A testament to it's durability, I guess....

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I'm aching to try is the EoTech 557 and flip-to-side magnifier.
I've had one of those dang kits on order since November last year! Jerry at Ordanance Outsellers is a good guy so I know he's trying his best to get one for me. I haven't tried getting one somewhere else. Do all the 557's have the AR223 reticule now? (M557)

Thanx for the info on the 2000. And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll post a report once I shoot it.

A real-world durability test! I would expect the EoTechs to be pretty durable, what with the metal hood around it. I've wondered why they don't just integrate the metal hood with the body of the sight? I've always thought the hood looked like an after-market add-on. Now that they've been through a few generations of the sight, I would think they would simply build the sight out of metal instead of just tacking on the metal hood. It would probably clean up the view around the sight a little and make it a bit smaller. Then again, in QB45's story, the hood was a bit bent and the sight still worked. Maybe that's why they keep building them that way - to have an extra bit of space between the sight and the protection.

Hey, does anyone know if the spring mechanism on the flip-to-side mount for the magnifier has enough spring to stay to the side, even if you tip the rifle to the left? I wouldn't want the thing flopping back and forth depending on the rifle position.

I looked on the EoTech site and it looks like the only 557 model is the .223 one. I saw the deal for the 557 + magnifier + 3x on JTACSupply, and it looks awesome. Too bad it's back-ordered.

Then again, I've been reading some posts about people with their Eotech 557s and blurry reticles. I guess EoTech are going through some pains this this new model. I really don't want to go through that, so I may wait a bit before I take the plunge.

Later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts