FN Herstal Firearms banner

My New SCAR 16s FDE

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  oldguysshoot 
#1 ·
Bought a SCAR 16s at Cabella's this week. I went in intending to buy a Sig P938 Nightmare, but they'd sold it. Glad they did because I ended up coming home with an FDE brother for my 45 Tactical. Employee pricing coupon put it down to the "acceptable" price of $2519. That gave me $58 in Club rewards which (mostly) paid for the Troy Modular Combat Grip. Picked up a few practice rounds of PMC 223 and some home defense PDX1 223. Will get out to the range either tomorrow or next weekend for its maiden voyage. If it shoots as well as my other FN firearms then I'll be a happy camper. My FN family is growing!

Attachments

See less See more
#16 · (Edited)
Ok, got out to the range today. 100 rounds of PMC 223 FMJ 55gr, 100 rounds of Federal 556 XM193 55gr, and 10 rounds of my home defense PDX1 223 (keeping the other 30 for the house). Gun had been cleaned and lubed last week after purchasing.

The 16s functioned flawlessly. Chomp chomp chomp ate all the ammo and spit 'em out. Ran all five mags. Impressed with the light weight of the gun and almost zero recoil. I felt a slight muzzle flip but nothing much at the shoulder.

Accuracy was consistent. Used the iron sights. Need to buy a front sight adjustment tool and the appropriate Torx to sight it in next time. Shot low and left at 15 an 25 yards. Or maybe I just need to learn to shoot it correctly. It was dark in the lane and the rear sight ring is really hard to see under those conditions. The range makes you shoot seated and only my left elbow was braced on the table. I didn't want to remove my foregrip to use the bench rest so I just shot it without. Used the pad of my finger on the trigger and experimented around, but was still low and left (groups where it looks high is where I was intentionally compensating. Some groups are at 15 some at 25. Some carefully done, some groups are all double-taps). Any and all suggestions welcome.

Gun looks just as clean after the range as it did before. Going to try to go at least 500-750 rounds between cleanings if I can.

Overall hard not to be impressed.

Attachments

#20 ·
Thanks, all. Had a great time. One edit: those are of course patterns, not groups. Also realized I was shooting using the bigger sight window. Thought the one it was set to from the factory would have been the smaller one, but not the case. Next up is buying the front sight adjustment tools and sighting it in next range trip. Will report back.

#23 ·
Haven't made it back to the range yet (boo) but have added Magpull hand stop and mag assists. There were six mag assists total, and since I only had five mags of course I had to buy one more mag. Really like the grip on the mag assists - very useful for pulling the mags out of the range bag and manipulating.

Discovered the rear sight was a little off-center from the factory, so hopefully I won't need to adjust the front sight now.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.