FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a black PS90 today. Ended up with the model with the white ring sight but that was by choice. I couldent see spending the extra money on the black sight model ( got a pretty decent price on the white ring to begin with ). I like the tri-rail model, but honestly...I am not one to rely on optics only, it is my opinion that every gun NEEDS fixed sights. The emergency sights could come in hand if ever needed. I played with the white ring sight quite a bit and I dont have any problems seeing through it so I am fine with it for now. Possible plans may be getting the REM2 for it just to brighten up the sight, but we will see after a few trips to the range. I might get the top rail replacement for optics that FN makes for it in the future and mount a eotech, FN was very sharp with putting the back up iron sight on that piece too. I am very impressed with the company overall and there design and thought into weapons. I am stoked right now and cant wait for it to arrive!

One question for you guys right now, but I am sure there will be more to come... The model I bought has 30 round mags and I want to improve the mag capacity to 50 immediatly, what aftermarket brand part do you recommend and from what vendor?

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
There is a sticky on the site on how to alter the mag yourself to convert it to 50 rounds. But for zero hassle and just a few bucks - we have 2 sponsors here that sell them. MPF Tech and MagParts. I bought my mag converter in Dec 2006, and i got one from Magazine Parts. The were the first to have them on the market.

EIther way, they are very cheap.

Just click on the banners on the main page for their sites.

·
Vendor
5,593 Posts
:shock: GREAT purchase! You are going to love holding and shooting this weapon. Check out Magazineparts.com for their sale on a Brass catcher and magazine springs. :?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Congrat's on the purchase! I'm sure you'll find it an amazing little PDW. I also have the same model that you bought and would not part with it for anything.
As Ship already noted, to Mod from 30 round to 50 round is easy. I bought the one from MPF Tech and it works fine.

Again congrats.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Josh, congrats on the purchase. You'll absolutely love the gun (hell, I have 3 now). Keep in mind in regards to the sights, the PS90 is a PDW. I shoot it from the hip just as much as I use the optics. I wouldn't take it hunting unless you're out to explode some squirrels, in which regards, you probably wouldn't use the "BUIS" (I prefer my silenced .22LR for that task).

I'd also like to point out that not all conversion floor plates are created equally. The MagazineParts.com plate is made of a high-grade binary polyurethane that is a single piece and designed specifically for the task of the magazine conversion. It carries a lifetime warranty as well. We sell more magazine conversion plates than anyone, hands down.

FNForum members currently receive a 20% discount, but the banner hasn't been put up yet. Use discount code 20456 when checking out to receive your discount!

We also have a pre-order special on our new high-capacity brass catchers that will be shipping in 2 weeks. $30 Shipped! Even if you don't reload your brass, it's still worth a lot to those who do since you can't purchase it new. You could make some new best friends on the forum just by having once fired brass available.

http://www.magazineparts.com/productDisplay.php?id=PE

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
One thing to add about converting the magazine base yourself, it is the easy and cheap route but remember that you can not convert it back from 50 to 30.
Thats one thing that you can do with the magazine base plate.
It may not seem like a big thing until you move to a different state or travel with your gun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the replies and the welcome everyone. Special thanks to magazineparts.com! I just placed a order for your 30 to 50 round conversion plate. As far as rails go, I want to shoot the gun a bit after I get it to see how I feel about adding rails and what not. Also, I understand the PS90 is a PDW and will not be used for long range defense, but in my mind I just feel like that back up sight if a optic fails is always there incase you need it. The factory sight model does have the emergency sights, so those are always there regardless. Oh and by the way, I dont plan on making any squirrels explode with this rifle, or use it for hunting :lol: Anyways, I am browsing around for things to pick up before the gun goes, Midway seems to have a pretty decent price on ammo (18.99 for 50 rounds) so I might pick up a couple hundred rounds from them just to get started. Any cheaper places to get ammo right now would be great to know as well.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Midway's price is a sale right now. I think CMMG sells it for the same price all the time.

Occassionally - U can pick it up a buck per box cheaper at an online location. Bud's, a sponsor here, used to have a great sale on it. I do not know what their current price is.

Maybe post a question in the "Bud's" subforum for Turbozag to answer.

I love dealing with CMMG. Whenever I plan an order form them, it arrives at my door within 3-4 days everytime. I get all my mags from them, and order my ammo from them. Great service.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just checked CMMG prices on ammo, 20.95 for 50 :( Looks like Midway USA wins that battle. I order from Midway quite a bit, great company and very fast shipping.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Don't forget to also check around locally.
I found a local dealer here in Indiana that sells it just as cheap as online.
I get it for $18 per box locally.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
JMies419 said:
Just checked CMMG prices on ammo, 20.95 for 50 :( Looks like Midway USA wins that battle. I order from Midway quite a bit, great company and very fast shipping.
CMMG must have gone up since my last order. That sucks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ammo prices

I purchased some ss195 for 17.50 a box from Tannersportscenter.com, he is the same one I bought my tri rail ps90 from, and he has very good customer service. I believe he adds 3% for credit cards, he also ships very promptly. I don't think you can order online from his site, but you can look up their number and call.

Hope this helps!
Rob

·
Registered
214 Posts
I always order from someone on GB. I've gotten it as low as $17 / box shipped.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts