FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was kind of caught off guard today when I was contacted by NBC News in New York today. Out of thousands of people on Facebook they felt like I was the one they wanted for the interview.
Perhaps they googled me and saw that I have been interviewed for other, much smaller media outlets... Perhaps it was through my Fire Mountain Outdoors affiliation or ???

Well they wanted my input on the whole Facebook crack down on gun pages. I do help admin on a couple of pages and here's what they came up with. (If any of you read this today, I'm Bob whom is quoted near the end of the article.)

Facebook and Instagram Crack Down On Illegal Online Gun Sales - NBC News

·
Registered
604 Posts
Good job. You sounded like a reasonable person taking a common sense approach to gun sales. I'm certain the author was hoping you'd go off on a rant like James Yeager did not too long ago.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was on the defensive from the start and am very suspicious of the national media and debated on commenting. But the guy ended up being pleasant to talk to. He could have opted to go for red button topics to try and set me off but he sounded generally interested in knowing the process. I think he was expecting that all of these sites are run by hoodlums making shady deals in a dark alley. Hopefully I was able to dispel that myth by some sort of small percentage.
Good job. You sounded like a reasonable person taking a common sense approach to gun sales. I'm certain the author was hoping you'd go off on a rant like James Yeager did not too long ago.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
We don't need to, by law, do what we do with private arms sales but we do it because it’s the right thing to do.
Well said.

What this is is an half assed effort by facebook to shut the antis up, not the purge of all gun related group as some people are worried about. Even if some bored wives who have nothing better to do all day but to push some idiotic political agenda wants to patrol facebook for gun sales, as the article mentioned all of those groups are closed to public.

Reactions: captain_bob

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I was kind of caught off guard today when I was contacted by NBC News in New York today. Out of thousands of people on Facebook they felt like I was the one they wanted for the interview.
Perhaps they googled me and saw that I have been interviewed for other, much smaller media outlets... Perhaps it was through my Fire Mountain Outdoors affiliation or ???

Well they wanted my input on the whole Facebook crack down on gun pages. I do help admin on a couple of pages and here's what they came up with. (If any of you read this today, I'm Bob whom is quoted near the end of the article.)

Facebook and Instagram Crack Down On Illegal Online Gun Sales - NBC News
Good work.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Good to see someone present a true common sense view in the all too sensationalized media rampage.

I just have one nit to pick with the author of the story, and it has to do with the way he subtly tries to take away your credibility.

Every gun-control proponent in the article is directly quoted, and they "said" or told" NBC something. You on the other hand is only quoted at the very end, and up until then you are presented as having "claimed" to take certain actions. The word "claim" does not appear at all in that article until it deals with you. A claim is an allegation, where a direct quote is taken as fact. This is pretty subtle, but the writer's bias was still palpable to me when I read it. Maybe I over-analyze?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thank you captain_bob for making the gun community look good. The best policy is always to educate, be calm and collective, and be respectful in the face nastiness. Hopefully the mass majority of American will see that the Anti-Gun groups are the ones being nasty, disrespectful, and mentally unstable lyres.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for taking to the time to read it. Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts
Very solid response, Bob. Nicely done.

Reactions: captain_bob

·
Registered
641 Posts
Still a bit shocked that NBC of all outlets actually took the time to track down a voice from our sidelines.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm also really concerned about how the media is spreading the misinformation that all private gun sales need a background check regardless of the state, it seems that they associate NY gun laws as the law of the land everywhere...

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice Job!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts