FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rifle: NDM-86 in .308 w/polymer furniture, 1P21 3-9x scope, SVD bipod, using Georgia Arms 168gr "Canned Heat" budget match ammo.
Shot the NDM-86 for the first time this year. Set up the target shown at 1,000yds and did 20 rapid-fire shots (no more than 4 seconds between shots except when changing mags). Achieved a 50% hit rate w/20" vertical dispersion (NATO rates the 7.62x54 Drag at a 16% hit rate at that range). Wind gusting from my right appears to have pushed the other shots off target as the hits are mostly on the left side of the target. 168gr match ammo is considered an 800yd rd so this is 200yds beyond its normal effective range. I found 2 bowling pins left at the 500m berm so I set them up intending to shoot them just before leaving. Two other range members showed up so I offered to let them shoot the Drag at the bowling pins. The first guy hit his pin in 2 shots, the other hit with his first shot. Both were amazed at the accuracy and relative lack of recoil demonstrated by the Drag.
Tomac

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Promoted Pawn said:
VERY nice!
You have a special weapon there. The dragunov I had an opportunity to shoot wasn't as accurate, I don't think.
Thx! (Actually, I have several in .308). The original 7.62x54 caliber isn't as accurate due to the lack of true lightweight (appx 150gr) match ammo but in .308 (only 1,000 were made in the late 80's) w/168gr match ammo they're far more accurate than a 20yr-old chromed bore copy of a 40yr-old semi-auto design should be. My only regrets are that I didn't buy more of them sooner!
Tomac

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ShipWreck said:
Yea, looks like fun . Interesting scenery, too :)
There is a certain of satisfaction to be had when you squeeze off a rd at 1,000yds and hear the "ting!" a few seconds later!
The scenery is the Parma 24/7 gun range w/dedicated .22, shotgun & rifle areas (measured berms w/gongs out to 1,000yrd) as well as dedicated tactical pits. I also do my night shoots there, best range I've ever seen.
Tomac

1 - 5 of 5 Posts