FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to the FN forum, but not to FN products. Sorry for such a long first post.

Anyways, I figured I could get more focused and detailed responses about optics for the S17 specifically here. Have already looked through the stickies for what everyone is running and what didn't work, found them to be very helpful. Also good to see what optics the S17 eats through. Will not be buying soon, but would like to buy this year if things work out on my end, so I can wait for a big sale or new releases.

EDIT: Have it down to
Vortex HS LR 2.5-10x32 with XLR reticle when it comes out
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 with LV reticle

Now I need advice on:
- How generous is the eye box on the NXS? I read it was pretty good on existing Vortex 2.5-10x optics.
- NXS zero stop worth it? (~$400 more for zero stop vs no zero stop... I'd get it at $100, likely at $200, but really question it at $400)
- Any good QD mounts that I can get for under $200? Preferably it will let both of the above optics sit as close to the receiver as possible w/o having to remove rear irons.
- Will a Docter Optic mounted on an offset mount survive a ride on the S17 or would something else be a better option. I have seen 1 post somewhere, don't think it was here, of a Docter mounted on an Elcan 1-6x doing OK, but I'm not sure how much the Elcan would have had to do with that here.
--------------------------
Original criteria still here in case someone has other ideas:
Looking for the following in an optic on the S17 and would like the following, roughly in order of importance:
- Under ~$2000. Don't mind spending much less or buying used IF it is the right optic.
- Under 20 oz (including batteries or any other items needed to make it work). Under 24oz is acceptable if 20 won't work.
- Good eye relief and a little "wiggle" room in where exactly the eye can be placed while still seeing a clear image. Much like say an EOTech or Aimpoint.
- BDC or other similar reticle that allows for quick approximated shots at various ranges, tuned for ~150-155 grain projectiles.
- Would strongly prefer a horseshoe with dot in the middle or a circle with a dot.
- Illumination nice but not absolutely needed.
- MOA/MOA scope, but mil/mil or a pre-ranged adjustment system like some IOR scopes have is fine too.

Also really like this reticle, but I highly doubt the scope itself (after talking to someone from PA) would survive an extended ride on a SCAR17 (I'm not trying to knock on PA or their products). They did mention they are talking with other companies about licensing their reticle out.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-1-6X-Scope-with-Patented-ACSS-Reticle-p/paps1-6x.htm
-------------------------
Thanks in advance.

Btw, I don't actually know what guns are and don't know how to own guns. I'm just here big man questions for an ego boost :) That and I live on a boat sometimes... most certainly wouldn't want to lose everything in a tragic boating accident.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also if there are any very knowledgeable vendors that you guys feel like would be able to answer these questions and get me an optic at a good price, feel free to point me their way.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm looking at optics as well so I can't help too much. I'm trying to decide between NF 2.5-10x32 and NF 2.5-10x42.

Sent from my iPhone since my tin-foil hat prevents psychokinesis.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I run a mark6 for 7.62 love the reticle and clarity but it EATS batteries with illuminated so do not forget to cut it off because few hrs later itll b dead but reticle its still awesome just no illumination.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I run a mark6 for 7.62 love the reticle and clarity but it EATS batteries with illuminated so do not forget to cut it off because few hrs later itll b dead but reticle its still awesome just no illumination.
How many hours of battery life are you getting with the Mk6?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did more searching throughout the day today, looking like these are the most likely candidates:

- NXS 2.5-10. Is the zero stop worth the extra $400 on this model? For $100 or $200, yes, I'd buy it, but for $400, I feel like I could deal with just making a note somewhere saying "X rotations/clicks from bottom for zero" etc. I'm seeing ~$1200 without, ~$1600 with zero stop. Also, it looks like most people go with the LV reticle? Will compare the published drops on the reticle with various loads in a calculator later. 19oz, not light but not too heavy either.

- Vortex 2.5-10 Viper HS LR - XLR reticle ~$800, coming out this summer. Light enough option at just under 17oz, good eye relief on paper, but not quite the reticle I'm hoping for and no illumination. Also does not have a track record in regards to sitting on top of a S17 being a new release. Yes, I've dealt with Vortex CS before and I have no doubts they will stand behind their product 100% if something goes wrong, but we all know a warranty takes time.

Anyone have suggestions not listed above for optics similar to these two in features and price?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am on about my 5th battery and just last week went and shot n put a new battery n(was dead) and shot on 7pwr ill and forgot to cut off we then shot pistols and just bs and such and put it back up n the truck about 4hrs later(total) and it was dead

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
I am on about my 5th battery and just last week went and shot n put a new battery n(was dead) and shot on 7pwr ill and forgot to cut off we then shot pistols and just bs and such and put it back up n the truck about 4hrs later(total) and it was dead
I assume you are talking about the MK6? Thats sh!tty. I was really thinking about picking one up too.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Wow, that sounds TERRIBLE. As much as I wanted a Mk6 I think I'm going to pass after hearing this.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Seriously. Leupold wants an extra 1K$ for the illuminated option and the fkng battery lasts for four hours? Not no but hell no.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Whatever you do just be patient (unless you find a knock out deal on something you are eyeing). I waited around a year until I chose elcan for 17. I might get another elcan for my 16 also and want to decide soon so I can sight things in summer without freezing my a$$ off lol

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
People have posted they have great customer service maybe you should make a call to them

·
Registered
76 Posts
All of you are quick to trash leupold because of one report. That's silly. I left mine on from Friday to Sunday on max and it still works.

Op should go to other boards like snipers hide, ar15, or Enos for threads that match intended use.

I chose the leupold over vortex and Swfa and ior because of all of the pros and cons listed elsewhere. mostly Enos for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
All of you are quick to trash leupold because of one report. That's silly. I left mine on from Friday to Sunday on max and it still works.

Op should go to other boards like snipers hide, ar15, or Enos for threads that match intended use.

I chose the leupold over vortex and Swfa and ior because of all of the pros and cons listed elsewhere. mostly Enos for me.

To be clear I started a thread on the subject. I have been searching for information on the battery life of the Mark6 3-18 all day. I have yet to find a definitive answer. If I'm paying 3500$ for a scope the information about battery life should readily available. I shouldn't have to go to the end of the internet to find it.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Duplicate.

·
Registered
671 Posts

To clarify you left yours on Friday to Sunday on setting 7.... We're talking Mk6 1-6?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts