FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an IR laser to be used on my SCAR 17S with my PVS-14... have looked around and researched some options like the ITAL, OTAL, DBAL, PEQ... i dont want to spend crazy money so i think the DBAL and PEQ are out as choices so it narrows it down to the OTAL and ITAL.. from what I've read, they are similar except for the way they are mounted: inline vs offset... if anybody has any recommendations or other options please feel free and i appreciate the help..

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
lol... cant seem to find the UNI-IR.. just the UNI-MAX, unless they are the same thing.. and damn green is so much more expensive than red..

ETA: nvm found some.. will have to try it out

·
Registered
168 Posts
PVS 14, nice choice, I have a few buddies that have them. One who got his more recently had better specs on his unit than the other guy and he got jealous, haha. What did they spec your unit at? Just curious

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
PVS 14, nice choice, I have a few buddies that have them. One who got his more recently had better specs on his unit than the other guy and he got jealous, haha. What did they spec your unit at? Just curious
no data spec sheet on mine because its a milspec AN/PVS-14 unit which didn't come with spec sheets since they were contracted for the military.. its an OMNI VII L3 filmless autogated tube and it looks great (no spots or blems that i can see)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Laser Devices Dbal I2 | eBay

not sure if you can find much cheaper - unless you got a buddy selling one and your only requirement is a dedicated IR laser only look at:

LDI ITAL Class 1 IR Laser ? Tactical Night Vision Company

you may also want to invest in a aperture for far/near focus on your 14 - can help reduce eye strain and comes in handy if your gonna be in and out of a boat/truck/atv and you get the bonus of a dust cover & sacrificial lens to protect your investment:

Night Vision Target Identification Cover | Phokus Research Group

or-tactical-advantages1.jpg

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i went ahead and ordered 2 of the Lasermax UNI-IRs... hopefully it will work out for me.. if not i will go ahead and sell them and get the ital or dbal especially since TNVC is doing a Xmas sale on DBALs

ETA: i cancelled my order because they called me and said they are out of stock and wont be in for another month.. i guess ill wait on my ir laser purchase

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you mounting the PVS-14 on the 17? I was told not to do it on mine so I'm interested in how you are using it?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It has a built in IR illuminator on the PVS-14 but I think I can do without an external illuminator but an IR laser designator would make it a lot easier to get on target..

·
Registered
38 Posts
It has a built in IR illuminator on the PVS-14 but I think I can do without an external illuminator but an IR laser designator would make it a lot easier to get on target..
IMO the illuminator on the 14 is good for reading maps and that s about it.

Good news is I rarely need external illuminations, stars & moon provide plenty of light.

·
Registered
76 Posts
lol... cant seem to find the UNI-IR.. just the UNI-MAX, unless they are the same thing.. and damn green is so much more expensive than red..

ETA: nvm found some.. will have to try it out
I know I'm late to the discussion but I have a couple of UNI-Max's i'm willing to let go of for $70.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts