FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I bought a black 17. I set it up for hog hunting. Upgrades so far are tango down BG17 grip, ggg charging handle and qd system, vtac padded sling, giessle trigger, Leopold vxr 1.5-4 on a adm mount, magpul afg, and I'm waiting on my sdn-6. I want more magnification to take shots out to 600 yards. Im currently looking at the vortex 2.5-10 and the nightforce 2.5-10. In a couple months I will have saved enough to get either. My question is should I get the vortex and use the savings for ammo or just get the nightforce. Which would you choose and why? Sorry so long and thanks for the input.

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
Well only you can make that choice... it would be a financial decision which involves your " ego ".
Don't get me wrong, my ego gets the best of me sometimes but this is clearly a " high end " scope vs a middle to high end scope with a significant dollar difference.
You can pick up a used PST for 1/2 of what a lower priced NIB NightForce will cost you.
Heck If I was hog hunting.... I would buy a VV PST used , they are nice pieces, seen quite a few on the AR10's at the club.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I put the PST 2.5-10x44 on an ADM mount. I have no issues with the optic beside the weight. I don't know how much better a scope needs to be on a non sniper rifle. It does everything I want. Now if they were only 8 ounces, that would be ideal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have you seen the new SHV NF scope line? They are in the 900-1150 range. I might have gotten one if I hadn't already purchased a 2.5-10x42 NXS
SHV | Nightforce Optics, Inc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a vortex 2.5 x 10 scope and I like it a lot. I don't run it on the scar personally but it's a great scope for the price. I don't now how it compares to the higher end scopes.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
The nightforce 2.5-10x42 looks fantastic. That with the MOAR reticle would be a great fit for a 17

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm running a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MRAD. It's quality!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I go with the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10X 32 FFP just order it today from Optic planet 719.00 out the door, save some money for ammo.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I was also contemplating the same two scopes for my 17. After a lot of reading, last night I mounted the VORTEX PST 2.5-10X32 FFP w/ EBR-1 (moa) on the ADM/Noveske mount. It looks great, nice glass and I think I am really going to like the reticle. When you crank up the magnification, boy dose that reticle just POP, what a great view. I would think it comes down to what you want, I just chose to give the VORTEX a try. It goes without saying the NF is also quality glass, I don't think you can make a bad choice w/the options you have narrowed it down to. Let us know what you end up with!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts