FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the site, love all the info.

I inherited my Grandfather's FN High Power he brought back from the war. Based on the info I have, its a German WaA140 with Tangent Sights ssn: 112066 (1942?), Nazi marks, etc. What I can't identify are the proof marks at the bottom of the hand grips where you insert the magazine. Looks like an "8" "I" and a triangle?

Any insights you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Proofs.jpg side.jpg serials.jpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
VTHP,

Welcome to the Forum!

According to R. Blake Stevens' book, "The Browning Hi Power Automatic Pistol", The WA140 Waffenamt code was used beginning in the final months of 1941 until the Germans retreated out of Germany in September of 1944. However in early 1943, a new serial number system was implemented wherein after the first 100,000 numbers they would start again at seria; #100,001 with the suffix "a" at the end of the serial number; followed by the suffix "b" after the next 100,000 and so on; although this system only got as far as the b suffix. So, based on this, your pistol was made approximately somewhere between late 1941 and early 1943, since it lacks a suffix at the end of the serial number.
Total occupation pistol production is estimated at 319,000.

Hope this helps some.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts