FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will finally be ready to buy one in the next week or so and need help-I've read postings about early models having issues, etc..
1. Are there different variants I should be aware of? (like H&K handguns with V1, V2 triggers, etc...)
2. Are there different variants that should be avoided, and if so, why?
3. Are there serial # ranges that I should watch out for?

I've made this decision after hem-hawing between the FN and an H&K SL-8 for over a month. Haven't shot either, but the FN looks more like my cup of tea. If it proves its not, I guess I'll sell my OTHER testicle and get the H&K. :-D Thanks guys - I look forward to sharing info once I land one!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Buy either a black or green one and enjoy it. I'd definately rather have an FS2000 than a SL-8. Using cheap AR mags is just the first reason........................DJ

·
Registered
980 Posts
It's my understanding that the current ones have the "forward sear" removed. So earlier serial numbers are bound to become more valuable because they are safer and more like the military F2000.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's my understanding that the current ones have the "forward sear" removed. So earlier serial numbers are bound to become more valuable because they are safer and more like the military F2000.

Can anyone substatiate PP's statement?

·
Registered
142 Posts
pck823 said:

Can anyone substatiate PP's statement?
Here's the story:

A couple of jerks thought it was really cool to attempt to illegally modify their FS2000's to fire full auto, supposedly by modifying the sear. Yes, those two jerks got caught and are now looking forward to a 10-year stay at Club Fed. Once FN got wind of this, they decided to elimate the sear. The elimination of the sear does not affect the reliability of the FS2000.

As it's been stated here and just about every other gun board on the internet, illegally modifying any semi-auto firearm to shoot full auto is a violation of the NFA and will guarantee you 10 long years in the slammer. Any info showing how to go full auto illegally will not and shall not be encouraged and discussed on here and other gun boards. Anyone attempting to show how to do this will have their posts deleted and possibly banned.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The foward sear, while it arguably adds an additional level of safety to the fireing mechanism was deamed to facilitate illegal modification by FN and so has been remooved. but it is probable the guns equiped with the foward sear, like those few remaining guns with the original fireing pin may fetch a higher price to collectors in future.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Long soap box diatribe ignore if needed.

The_Real_McCoy said:
Here's the story:

As it's been stated here and just about every other gun board on the internet, illegally modifying any semi-auto firearm to shoot full auto is a violation of the NFA and will guarantee you 10 long years in the slammer. Any info showing how to go full auto illegally will not and shall not be encouraged and discussed on here and other gun boards. Anyone attempting to show how to do this will have their posts deleted and possibly banned.
Have the Dictator Forum Admins arrived?

It is posts like this that keeps me away from some Forums. If the Admins at this Forum become dictators and start banning and threatening to ban I will leave just like I never go to FiveSeven any more.

Fine have it stated in the posting rules that people should not discuss how to break the law. However please let me point out, We have the right of Freedom of speach and information. Just talking about how to make a weapon full auto is not illegal. It is just information. What people do with it is up to them.

This sounds as bad as the people who do not want young adults to learn how to use a condom. Just knowing how to use condom does not make them sex fiends.

I believe in freedom of choice. I love information and I am against anyone who tries to limit my info. Whether it is a Forum admin or the Government

I know how to make explosives. Just by knowing I am not compelled to go out and blow things up or hurt people.

The desire to do something often comes before the information has been learned.

Desire first information second.

For instance I want make pancakes. So I look for a recipe.

It is not as if stumbling across a recipe suddenly makes me want to stop what I am doing and make breakfast.

Discussing FA weapons does not make people decide to become fellons. THey had that desire in their heart before the information.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Re: Long soap box diatribe ignore if needed.

gokyo said:
The_Real_McCoy said:
Here's the story:

It is posts like this that keeps me away from some Forums. If the Admins at this Forum become dictators and start banning and threatening to ban I will leave just like I never go to FiveSeven any more.

Fine have it stated in the posting rules that people should not discuss how to break the law. However please let me point out, We have the right of Freedom of speach and information. Just talking about how to make a weapon full auto is not illegal. It is just information. What people do with it is up to them.

This sounds as bad as the people who do not want young adults to learn how to use a condom. Just knowing how to use condom does not make them sex fiends.

I believe in freedom of choice. I love information and I am against anyone who tries to limit my info. Whether it is a Forum admin or the Government

I know how to make explosives. Just by knowing I am not compelled to go out and blow things up or hurt people.

The desire to do something often comes before the information has been learned.

Desire first information second.

For instance I want make pancakes. So I look for a recipe.

It is not as if stumbling across a recipe suddenly makes me want to stop what I am doing and make breakfast.

Discussing FA weapons does not make people decide to become fellons. THey had that desire in their heart before the information.
Unfortunately, there are anti-gunners who pretend to be pro-gun and like to lurk on various gun boards. We don't need to give them any reason whatsoever to help further their twisted agenda.

There's nothing wrong with discussing full-auto weapons, but there can be big-time problems if someone has actually shown someone how to do a full-auto conversion illegally.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Re: Long soap box diatribe ignore if needed.

gokyo said:

See - you call us dictators right off the bat. Very nice. I haven't even become involved in this thread until now. But, you called us that because you know "how to make your gun a machine gun" is not allowed. It is in the forum rules - which are posted for all to see.

And, no responsible gun forum goes for step by step procedures on how to make a semi auto gun a fully auto one.

Your post is sort of out of no where. It's not even on topic from the original thread topic. We're very laid back here on the forum. We do not over moderate. But, there are some basic rules. They are listed here:

http://www.fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=3

We have the right of Freedom of speech and information. Just talking about how to make a weapon full auto is not illegal. It is just information.
Sorry - but we're not going to leave ourselves liable for such talk here on our site (how to break fed gun laws). This is not a free speech issue.

If the Admins at this Forum become dictators and start banning and threatening to ban I will leave just like I never go to FiveSeven any more.
Please don't even compares us to them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OKAY-now can anyone give me USEFUL information? :D I want to buy the gun and am waiting on input from people who have first-hand experience. I have no interest in going FA nor do I want to spend 10 years away from my family. I will wait for advice from someone. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
pck823 said:
OKAY-now can anyone give me USEFUL information? :D I want to buy the gun and am waiting on input from people who have first-hand experience. I have no interest in going FA nor do I want to spend 10 years away from my family. I will wait for advice from someone. Thanks.
I am sorry that this thread got off track from your original questions.

To my knowledge - there are no variants except for the gun color - green or black. They don't have versions like the HK example you gave.

Also - some of the very first ones had a firing pin recall - but that's been over with a while now. So now - if U want an FS2000 - go ahead. There seems to be some minor issues with some people's weapons that are covered in other threads in this subsection of the forum.

·
Banned
8 Posts
pck823 said:
Seems like you are ready to buy, so the only questions facing you are:

Green or black? - Personal choice, might have $ implications later on but that just seems like a gamble either way. I bought black and am happy with it.

After that, you could try to buy a gun that was pre-firing-pin recall, but it sounds like that is not worth it. You would be shooting a gun that has been recalled and might experience slam-fires. There doesn't seem to be much upside to this, so probably a non-issue. There scattered are reports of light primer strikes with the new pin, but FN support has promised to look into this if it is affecting your gun and fix it.

The last item would be the forward sear. I don't have the forward sear on my rifle and haven't had a problem, although I don't have many rounds through it yet. If you factor out the comment about having a forward sear possibly being worth more $$ later on, I personally don't see any reason to want it.

If you are really concerned about the money aspect, take your $2,000 and invest in a security, junk bonds, or put it all on #22 in Vegas. If you want to shoot it, buy what you want, and the gun will likely hold its value relatively well regardless.

With those three issues, I think you are out of "choices." My advice would be to pick black or green, then spend your decision energy on something that really matters, like which optic or irons sights to put on it. :D

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am sorry the " did the forum dictator Admin" arive comment came out wrong.

What I was trying to say was not that the Admins here are dictators. But that have they become dictators.

The free speech here is why I come to this Web Page. I apperciate it and do not want to lose these freedoms here.

You are correct about this coming out of left field.

Your comment that the rules regarding topics is already stated in the rules. That is my was part of my point. The rules are there deal with people posting inapprioprate things after it happens.

ShipWreck I have the greatest respect for and this sight. I apologize if the intent of my post was misunderstood.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all - based on this information, I think I'll be okay just looking for the right price. I do not intend to buy a gun that has been on display and handled by every Tom, Dick and Harry (my shop of choice, Adventure Outdoors in Marietta, GA has one and after looking at it on Saturday, it felt like it was 'tarnished goods' with all of those people 'fondling' it!). So - I will look for a black model that is NIB and if it turns out to be old stock with the firing pin issue, I'll get it resolved through FN. I plan to ask the seller if he/she is aware of the issue and whether or not the particular item is of concern, but it has been my experience that as a frequenter of forums like this one, I wind up being more knowlegable about the item than the seller! I just purchased a TALO limited edition Walther PPK and the seller did't realize it was a limited production gun (600pcs) let alone the serial number. I bought it anyways, and it turns out I wound up with the third one in the series. Sometimes we DO get lucky! Thanks again y'all, and I'll keep everyone apprised of the hunt!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
From what I have read over the months - the majority of those recalled rifles were sent in to get the recommended fix. So, there are very few still floating around. It isn't likely U will get one of those.

And, all of those were green, if I remember correctly - as the green version was released before the black ones.

·
Registered
121 Posts
pck823 get the SL8 if its cheaper than the FS2000. I own both rifles and while the 10 round mags sorta suck I find the need for 30 rounders less and less as each year goes by. True I would prefer that the SL8 had 30 round mags but the fact that it doesn't have them doesn't keep it from being the favorite firearm I own.

No other factory .223 I have ever shot shoots as good as the SL8. Its got a crisp action and the bull barrel is very accurate. The trigger is dreamy in comparison to the FS2000 and thats the biggest reason you will enjoy it more. I have found that while the FS2000 is a cool package and a blast to shoot the trigger ruins it for me a lot. Its hard to enjoy it at 200+ yards as the trigger is a chore to pull. All bullpup riggers are this way from the AUG to the P90.

I ended up turning my SL8 into a sniper package with a bipod and a 12x scope. Also ordered more spacers to get the butt stock just right. My FS2000 its a compact package smaller than most SBR's. There is a lot to be said about the FS200 and I do like mine. However the SL8 is my favorite rifle and I would highly recommend it to anyone considering it.

If you are buying it to blast away tons of rounds at 50-100 yards then I guess go with the FS2000. If you want a precission rifle that you will enjoy shooting accurately especially in prone then get the SL8. I can't say enough about the HK rifle as it really is my favorite firearm. The SL8 has much better sights but I assume that you would be buying glass for it anyway. The FS2000 can also serve as a home protection gun due to the size. Try to get that G3 sized SL8 around a corner when you need to...

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Funny - on the HK site - there is a thread about the comparison between the two rifles, and the FS2000 was chosen as the better rifle by some there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts