FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine built a FAL( on my reccomendation) using a Century imported Imbel reciever, and before any of you ask, YES he did pay attention and did use correct amount of U.S. parts in his build.

We went out to shoot it, and it started double tapping. We immediately took it apart, checked the FCG, adjusted the gas setting, re-checked the FCG, and can't figure it out. At this point, he's taken it apart and is waiting on some advice to proceed with a fix.

I've built 2 for myself and while working for an SOT built 7 more and have never seen this happen before.

Any ideas? Would appreciate some help.

Thanks, Gregg

·
Registered
227 Posts
Interesting problem. Does it only fire two rounds and then stops correctly? Does it do it every time?

I just did some research and you need to get this fixed for not only safety reasons, but for legal reasons too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Verify that it is properly head spaced and that when you made the head space adjustments that the bolt was stripped of ALL components.

Also in line with the firing pin is a numbered spacer that sits behind the firing pin and in front of the striker that the hammer hits. These are numbered for different thickness's. The higher the number the thicker it is. Don't ask what each one is as I have forgotten. If this spacer is to thick it will cause double taps AND if it is to thin it will cause lite primer strikes.

Those would be the first places I would start, both are common causes of your problem

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Malfunctioning FAL

Hey, Iran Ninja, thanks for stating the obvious, think I'm well aware of the legal issues, thats whay I'm asking for Help.

Zippy, Thanks for the USEFUL info, I didn't know about the spacers for the firing pin, and that is where I'll look next. When the barrel was headspaced, the bolt was completely stripped, I think the locking shoulder was a .063, closed on a go, would not on a no go. We had also pulled the locking shoulder and used one of the stepped bar type gauges to re-verify that we had used the correct locking shoulder.

I'll look at the bolt again and see about the spacers and get back to you.

Thanks again, Gregg

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
malfunctioning FAL

Zippy,

BTW, forgot to ask, any idea what the correct amount of finring pin protrusion is supposed to be?

Gregg

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: Malfunctioning FAL

Hey, Iran Ninja, thanks for stating the obvious, think I'm well aware of the legal issues, thats whay I'm asking for Help.
You are not the only one on the forum and my post was not only for you, but for other readers who may have other ideas about such a malfunction. As a MODERATOR I need to add such a little caveat to protect not only you, but the forum and the owner. Anti gun people read these forums as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Malfunctioning FAL

I'm fully aware of the type of people that look at these forums in addition to the intended audience.

Instead of making some snotty remark in addition to a comment that may draw attention, try sending a PM next time, my post WAS looked over and cleared by one of the LISTED MODERATORS for this particular thread.

This pissing contest is over.

Gregg

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Malfunctioning FAL

After a little more discussion and investigation, my friend also neglected to tell me that the hammer was following the bolt down into battery. This would lead me to suspect that the sear notch on the hammer is excessively worn, though impossible to tell with the naked eye. The FCG was made by century and is left over from one runs of their R1A1 sporters. If I recall century's parts for those were not very well heat treated and had a tendency to wear out faster that they should have.

Going to the shop tonight, will take some measurements and compare it with another US set and an original Austrian set as well. Worse case, I have to re-cut the notch so he can safely and LEGALLY play with it til' a replacement arrives.

Gregg

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Re: Malfunctioning FAL

gregg877 said:
After a little more discussion and investigation, my friend also neglected to tell me that the hammer was following the bolt down into battery. This would lead me to suspect that the sear notch on the hammer is excessively worn, though impossible to tell with the naked eye. The FCG was made by century and is left over from one runs of their R1A1 sporters. If I recall century's parts for those were not very well heat treated and had a tendency to wear out faster that they should have.

Going to the shop tonight, will take some measurements and compare it with another US set and an original Austrian set as well. Worse case, I have to re-cut the notch so he can safely and LEGALLY play with it til' a replacement arrives.

Gregg

:? :? :? :? :?

·
Registered
83 Posts
gregg877 said:
A buddy of mine built a FAL( on my reccomendation) using a Century imported Imbel reciever, and before any of you ask, YES he did pay attention and did use correct amount of U.S. parts in his build.

We went out to shoot it, and it started double tapping. We immediately took it apart, checked the FCG, adjusted the gas setting, re-checked the FCG, and can't figure it out. At this point, he's taken it apart and is waiting on some advice to proceed with a fix.

I've built 2 for myself and while working for an SOT built 7 more and have never seen this happen before.

Any ideas? Would appreciate some help.

Thanks, Gregg
It is the sear and hammer notch causing your problem, I have built a lot of fals and the CAI HTS sets are cheap but need work. First make sure the elongated hole in the sear moves freely back and forward on the axis pin,(these are sometimes too small). This movement is needed to reset the disconnecting motion each shot cycle. Second, using a good triangle shaped file, cut the hammer notch angle a little steeper so the sear will catch more positively, take your time because if you go a bit far the double tap will be solved but you will need a winch to pull the trigger. The firing pin and headspace etc are not your problem but check those items for proper weapon functioning anyway. Cycling the empty weapon to test quite often won't detect the double tap problem but live firing will and because the hammer has followed the bolt after this malfunction occurs virtually assures me it is a sear/hammer notch fault. Hope this helps, Brett.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you decide to replace the H/T/S, I have purchased the domestically manufactured sets from Falcon Arms and FSE. FSE is hands down the better product. The Falcon Arms set that I purchased was third rate, IMHO.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Malfunctioning FAL

Well, turned out the sear and the sear notch are excessively worn. Ended up just buying an FSE sear and hammer, and now it runs like a swiss watch.

DSA does not do tech support for anything other than their own products, and frankly, I don't blame them with all of the out of spec garbage out there.

As to the numbered spacers in the bolt for the firing pin, spent a lot more time than I should have looking for the, they don't exist, at least not in the assorted 5 examples I looked over, and those included 2 DSA's, 1 Imbel gear logo, and 2 CAI R1A1 sporters.

Thanks again for the help.

Gregg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts