FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched Hickock 45 on Youtube shoot one last week for the first time ever, and I loved the sound of the round (among other things). Then, he rapid-fired into a cement block. Showed the bullet to the camera - looked almost like a 5.56 Nato (not exactly though. He said some people thought it was just a glamorous .22 (made no sense to me but then I know nothing of the round either), and something about it penetrated Kevlar.......

Sooooooooooo, what's the deal:

How much firepower/stopping power does this guy have?

Is it for fun or is it used in the real world?

I assume it is legal but when I looked for it all of the gun stores seemed out of stock?

How accurate is the gun and round?

Help!

Thanks,

P

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Very accurate, certain rounds can penetrate Kevlar , it's definitely legal as most of us own one and the round was developed to be a substitute of the 9mm so that should give you an idea of the stopping power/firepower

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
You can hit stuff at 100 yards with it pretty easily. All factory rounds will penetrate some layer of Kevlar from the pistol. SS197 being stopped by level II, but AE 5.7, 195, 192, 198 will go through II. IIIA is reserved for SB193, SS190, and L191. It weighs 26 ounces full loaded. Good factory trigger (although on the heavy side sometimes), and is easy to operate. I find the index finger safety easier to manipulate than thumb safeties.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The MKII trigger seems better than the USG trigger and the entire gun seems more solid than the USG as well. The SS190 I don't believe will get enough velocity from the pistol to pierce either armor plate or Kevlar I forget which. I think it's steel plate. But it does pierce it from the rifle barrel which adds ~300 or so fps

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
The MKII trigger seems better than the USG trigger and the entire gun seems more solid than the USG as well. The SS190 I don't believe will get enough velocity from the pistol to pierce either armor plate or Kevlar I forget which. I think it's steel plate. But it does pierce it from the rifle barrel which adds ~300 or so fps
You need to see Buffman's videos.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
III hard armor is the only thing that stops 5.7 rounds. SS190 from the pistol is capable of piercing at least 3 Level IIIA vests :) SB193 will even penetrate level IIIA vest, and that's subsonic :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
No other pistol like it on Earth. Even though it's a devastating round, gun is light due to all polymer construction and recoil less than a 9mm. My wife loves to shoot mine. Almost unfair to be a CCW weapon.

·
Registered
470 Posts
No other pistol like it on Earth. Even though it's a devastating round, gun is light due to all polymer construction and recoil less than a 9mm. My wife loves to shoot mine. Almost unfair to be a CCW weapon.
Unfair advantage to you is what keeps you alive in a bad situation! Although most times this is due to you having a gun, any gun, and the BG doesn't.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I can every day carry it holding 20 rounds and being light weight and very accurate. It has its down side of hard to get mags and ammo being expensive but you know that before you buy it. Its like the person who buys a 500 benz and complains about premium gas prices.....really lol
I agree that it makes a nice carry piece with the light weight and capacity. The "expensive and hard to get ammo" is really exaggerated by many people though, if you check gunbot right now you can easily buy the ammo for about $22 a box, which is no more than brass cased .45acp and other common calibers.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Thanks for the link, but I meant actual references of hard data, not snowmen and tannerite.

I have talked to a few people who employed the round firsthand but that was not very recently. Just seeing if anyone had solid research data that backed up the rounds performance.

-Rick
^^ Not much is available to John Q public. If it is, it easily gets buried with the canned responses from individuals who haven't tested but the FMJ duty round. Can't hardly get anyone to test it in gel. IMO it's just as good as any common service caliber, with the advantage going to the 5.7 in terms of soft armor penetration. There are plenty of dead cartel hits south of the border where the FSN was used with SS197SR. There was a pretty graphic 5 page thread on the other forum. Jeff has done some actual ballistic gel tests with it some rounds: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDl_0ZZ1a7NffYj0zdh3kjwK6chbVibzY

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
I find it strange that no one can generate hard research data for the rounds performance when this is available for almost every other common cartridge
There are several reports of the round being used by LEO's if you wish to search for them.

Not what the OP was asking or the topic of this thread.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I find it strange that no one can generate hard research data for the rounds performance when this is available for almost every other common cartridge. I have read reports from the TX DPS about their dissatisfaction with the PS-90 in field use and was trying to see if I could track down information beyond word of mouth, youtube videos, or "kill counts"

-Rick
Lots of data is available for 9/40/45 because they are "common", the 5.7x28 is relatively uncommon in comparison so naturally there will be less "field data" available from real world use. What type of data are you looking for specifically?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts