FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 509 And I was about to test fire it a round is in the pipe and the slide is locked. It will not go into battery and I cannot retract slide either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Material property Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
With the mag removed, looking into the magwell can you see another round jammed?

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
Can you take a photo of the right side?

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
Thanks. That's a live round in the chamber, correct?

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
Yes, but I got it out by lifting ejector over round. I was using WWB, changed ammo and it worked perfectly through 2 mags. Thanks!!
Awesome! You mean extractor right? In the right side photo it looked to me as if the extractor was engaging. Of course WWB does have a less than stellar reputation.

Reactions: Ex-Racer / Ex-Pat

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
Yes, extractor. Thanks for your time and help.

I switched to my reloads with the 2 mag dump. Go figure.
No problem, that's why we're here. If you haven't already be sure to clean all the rust preventative off, mine was packed so thick the striker block wouldn't come out without a fight. Oh and, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I purchased used but only fired 6 times and I believe the guy. My first FN and even though there was a hiccup it is the best feeling 9mm I’ve ever shot. I’ve always been a M&P guy but I like this 509. After further inspection the round that caused this had a wrinkle in the crimp, not a big one but it was enough to cause the problem. BTW, Ive read some post about bad 509 triggers, mine breaks nice at 4.75 #. I’m a happy camper. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
FN makes excellent firearms, they've been at it for a while too. It isn't so much that the 509 has a "bad" trigger per se it's just a bit gritty for some expecting a Colt Python's butter smoothness in a combat pistol. For me, I simply abhor articulated triggers so I Apex'd mine. Enjoy your 509 and remember some have delicate strikers that aren't partial to dry firing without snap caps.

Reactions: Ex-Racer / Ex-Pat

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
I’m considering the Apex too. I am studying their site trying to decide which one. Are they difficult to install?
Well, since you asked...

It is highly advisable that you purchase the Apex disassembly fixture to remove and reinstall the pins, one in particular will be fun. It is also strongly recommended you watch Apex's videos they're extremely helpful.

If you're patient and firearms mechanically inclined you'll have no problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was a nice cool and pleasant morning Today so I went out in the backyard and shot about 400 rounds of reloads through 509 without a hitch. Accurate too at 15 yds, almost one ragged hole. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I noticed that you had an olight attached on the rail. On my 509C, there was enough distortion on the frame to prevent the slide from working smoothly. Basically I have a few brand new olights that are now sitting in the safe doing nothing at all. Both my 509s have the Apex triggers and strikers. I have found that although my red flatty looks terrific on my full size, I actually prefer the curved version on the compact..

·
Registered
74 Posts
This happened to me after shooting around 50 rounds suppressed. Slide was locked out of battery. I assumed it was from all the debris from shooting suppressed. I dumped oil into the ejection port and worked the action it finally ejected the round.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts