FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have 3 hi powers ( mint Belgium and 2 WWII nazi) and I am wanting to purchase another Belgium gun for carry. It does not have to be mint but I want an original gun with wood grips.

Can someone give me an idea of what i should expect to pay and a good place to find one?

is there any difference between the post war fn guns and the browning marked guns? Thanks so much.

these will always be my favorite pistol.

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. I'd suggest that you take a look at gunbroker to get a feel for what people are asking for them and what they're actually selling for. The Belgian made and assembled guns will bring a premium over the assembled in Portugal guns, it seems. I have both and as shooters both are just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I am glad I found this forum. My dad bought one when I was about 10 and it has been my favorite pistol since. He still has it Belgium in perfect condition fired less than 100 times. He bought it in 85 or so.

·
Registered
129 Posts
^^^A FACT commonly unknown/misunderstood/ignored b/c FN slide legend BHP pistols did/do not normally get the "Assembled in Portugal" line even when they are, and some/many early '80s Browning slide legend BHP pistols were not so marked either...all are manufactured by FN though and virtually all are assembled at the FN plant in Viana, Portugal...as jhs27275 points out, since '80...regardless of slide legend. FN initiated the "Assembled in Portugal" line based upon their reading of US BATF...now BATFE, import regulations, consequently the line is normally found on Browning imports. You can BTW date your Dads '80s BHP by the Date Code within the SN: 245=commercial production followed by a 2 letter date code (PV='85) followed by the actual sequential 5 digit SN...for a BHP pistol produced that year. Even if your Dads pistol was bought earlier or was "New Old Stock" when purchased in the '80s, the SN method above still works for BHP pistols made since '77. Before that it's even easier as the SN begins with the year of manufacture followed by the letter "C" followed by the actual sequential 5 digit SN...for a BHP pistol produced that year (76C12345).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will get the s/n today.

What year did they start installing the feed ramp that was more reliable with hp ammo?

Is it considered safe to carry a hi power with the hammer down in a loaded chamber?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My day's gun is 76c13793. Serial number is on front of mag well. I assume this is a 76 manufacture date? He said he bought it new in 82 or 83 so I was 7 or 8.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts