FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So broke down and picked up a new 20S today. Popped my Steiner M5Xi on it and a brake for my Thunderbeast Ultra. I'm not in love with the plastic FDE lower color. So what do you all think of a black lower on the rifle? With all the other black parts on the gun I think it blends in well. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
I agree with theLBC, it looks good either way. It is however an FN tradition to make zero effort in having the different FDE components match. Why break with tradition? Personally I am not an FDE fan however, the FDE trigger module looks better. It is YOUR 20s, make it how YOU want it!

·
Registered
Scar 20s 6.5 Creedmoor Scar 17s
196 Posts
Congratulations!

Both ways look good. Black adds contrast the same way the multiple shades of FDE does. Whichever one catches “YOUR” eye the most is the way you should go.

What caliber did you go with?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm going with the black lower, it just grew on me and I have the spare lower with the Shooting Sight trigger and other upgrades ready to go. Until I can get some rail eliminator panels and M-Lok bottom rail as well as some QD sling mounts it's done. I did put the Mototech buffer pad and 3 position gas regulator in it too since it'll be shot suppressed 95% of the time. Here's the mostly finished product.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations!

Both ways look good. Black adds contrast the same way the multiple shades of FDE does. Whichever one catches “YOUR” eye the most is the way you should go.

What caliber did you go with?
7.62x51, it's my main goto cartridge. This one is the 1:10 twist also.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
So broke down and picked up a new 20S today. Popped my Steiner M5Xi on it and a brake for my Thunderbeast Ultra. I'm not in love with the plastic FDE lower color. So what do you all think of a black lower on the rifle? With all the other black parts on the gun I think it blends in well. Thoughts?
View attachment 140415
Perfect timing to have a breakdown! lol! Congrats! on your new 20s
The FDE lower looks better!

·
Premium Member
9,629 Posts
Congrats on the 20S. I'm 17% more jealous than when I woke up.
It looks good either way to me. I like my guns on the multi-shade "patchy" side.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I personally think the black lower looks dumb but at the same time...who cares...its a gun...not a freaking Ken doll from the Barbie collection...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I think it’s cool both ways especially since they put the black grip on a fde lower. I would probably stick to fde and change the grip to a fde one. Congrats on the rifle I’m hoping to get one myself before the communists ban them
i have an fde miad on mine.

and actually, one of my justifications for getting a scar 20s when i live hours away from a range to shoot it is that i might not have a chance if i waited.
it is the only fully semi-automatic centerfire rifle i own.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
one of my justifications for getting a scar 20s when i live hours away from a range to shoot it is that i might not have a chance if i waited.
That was kind of my justification too. Wanted one and this deal came up at my gun range and I figured my time might be short on acquiring one. After the deal they gave me trading in a little ammo (made 3.5-4.5x my money on), I'm actually into the bare rifle for roughly $2,250ish. They had it priced on the wall for $4,000 and we got down to $3790 before trade and cash.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
That was kind of my justification too. Wanted one and this deal came up at my gun range and I figured my time might be short on acquiring one. After the deal they gave me trading in a little ammo (made 3.5-4.5x my money on), I'm actually into the bare rifle for roughly $2,250ish. They had it priced on the wall for $4,000 and we got down to $3790 before trade and cash.
for me it was that, and being able to get the limited edition package for list where i live (seller was in trouble with his fiance because he bought it before they had paid for their wedding).
he posted on a gun forum and i had no time to decide.

anyway, unfortunately that was just the start.
even though the package came with a harris bipod and vtac sling, operators kit and bore guide...
i still needed a scope worthy of the rifle
and a mount worthy of the scope
and a good range finder
and a spotting scope (or 2)
and a rear bag (or 2)
and a monopod
and a better bipod
and a tripod
and a stool
and a whole lot of ammo
and a way to carry all this stuff around
and a range membership
and a night vision scope for zombies or nocturnal mutant cannibals
and a dbal d2 to illuminate or target them
and a trauma kit because now i am operator af
and a one piece carbon fiber cleaning rod and various .308 caliber cleaning stuff
and a cheap endoscope because now i am ocd
and a ...you get the idea

/i am just lucky i don't hunt for live animals, or i would have to spend another $20k on thermal nv.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts