FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem and need a suggestion for a solution. I just purchased a FNX-45 Tactical in Tan Flat Earth. it is the LE version with Trijicon Night sights. I have a Trijicon RMR on it. I also have an identical FNX-45 tactical in black. The Black one has unmarked front and rear night Sights, probably made by Trijicon and it punches out the bulls-eye at 50 feet, every time (combat sight pattern). The tan FNX-45 Tactical punches out the bulls-eye using the RMR but using irons it shoots high. I sent it back to FNH (5 weeks) and they returned it saying the barrel was OK but their test target showed rounds going high on the bulls-eye...they did not try to fix the problem and it is a new gun! When I co-witness the amber dot hangs above the front sight. Solution would be to get a lower front or a higher rear sight. I called FNH and they have none in stock and do not know when they will be getting any in. I called Trijicon and they also did not have any raised sights for the FNX-45 Tactical and had no immediate plans to make any and they said that if and when they did they would only be sold to FNH and not put on the commercial market!!! I called/e-mailed at least 25 shops and distributors and no one has sights or could give me a solution. Does anyone on this forum have a set to sell or know of a distributor or even have a possible suggestion other than to shoot low on the target? 2435690_01_fnx_45_tactical_flat_dark_eart_640.jpg 2435690_02_fnx_45_tactical_flat_dark_eart_640.jpg

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
How much is it off by at 50ft?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3-4 inches if I use a combat sight picture or 1-2 if I use a competition sight picture. On a combat sight picture the amber dot is substantially above the front sight.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
If there's a sight picture that'd result in better accuracy, then I don't understand why you wouldn't just use that sight picture. And I'm not sure what you mean by combat sight picture or competition sight picture. FNX (both vanilla and tac version) has what I would considered a combat sight, as in fixed elevation. I'm not sure how FNH zero their sights or what their acceptable tolerance is for accuracy, but given their response and the fact that FNX is a COMBAT handgun (as oppose to a competition gun) I'd say that 1-2 inches from 50ft is fine for most of their users. I think if you want better accuracy than that you should get a pistol meant for competition i.e. one with adjustable sights.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sightimages.jpg A combat profile sight picture is when the 3 dots line up and the front sight dot is directly over what you want to hit...ie the bull's-eye. That is how most guns used for combat are sighted and that is how FNh sites the FNX-45 tactical and all of their other guns....even Glocks are that way. A competition profile is when you line up the tops of all 3 sights and the bulls-eye rests on the imaginary line connecting the tops of the blades of the sights. I guess that way you can see what you are aiming at. combat sights are very accurate....I just do not want to mix sight profiles between my guns. I have competition set-ups when I shoot competition but my carry guns, as are 99% of all CCW are all set up for the combat profile.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would get adjustable sights except I can't find any sights for sale for this gun. That is why I posted this problem. Sour solution is a great solution but a solution I can't find a solution for!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
View attachment 21630 A combat profile sight picture is when the 3 dots line up and the front sight dot is directly over what you want to hit...ie the bull's-eye. That is how most guns used for combat are sighted and that is how FNh sites the FNX-45 tactical and all of their other guns....even Glocks are that way. A competition profile is when you line up the tops of all 3 sights and the bulls-eye rests on the imaginary line connecting the tops of the blades of the sights. I guess that way you can see what you are aiming at. combat sights are very accurate....I just do not want to mix sight profiles between my guns. I have competition set-ups when I shoot competition but my carry guns, as are 99% of all CCW are all set up for the combat profile.
Not according to the site where I found that picture. pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » Sight Picture
How do you think gun companies zero their guns? One guy will tell you that a company uses #2, another will tell you it’s #3. Setting aside the fact that half the pistol manufacturers no longer bother to test fire or zero their pistols (especially the ones going to the commercial non-law enforcement market), I’m not sure how people come to these conclusions. I’ve worked for two different major handgun manufacturers and both would produce guns that sometimes got hits with #2, and others with #3. Why? Because the difference is so slight that it falls within the acceptable margin of error during the testing, and because the companies didn’t have a formal method for testing.
I would like to see some sources cited for your claim that FNH and Glock zero all their sights according to #3 and not #2. I'm not sure I buy the "99% of all CCW are all set up for" this so called "combat profile" as not all guns have painted dots. Also remember projectiles do drop over time and distance so it's perfectly plausible that companies are just setting their sights at a closer POI than you think.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I would get adjustable sights except I can't find any sights for sale for this gun. That is why I posted this problem. Sour solution is a great solution but a solution I can't find a solution for!
Read I wrote again. I didn't suggest you get adjustable sights for the FNX, I recommend you find another pistol that comes WITH adjustable sights because clearly there's a disconnect between what you want out of the FNX and what FNH intended their pistols for.

The simplest solution for you is to manual compensate for the difference between your preferred sight picture and POI. And in reality, I'm not even sure it should be that big of a deal as you have a RMR you can zero correctly to the actual POI.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Maybe try ameriglo suppressor sights?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts