FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so yes I've not post much on the forums but I've been in the shadows for about a year now just enjoying the wealth of knowledge you guys share!
So this is my dilemma, I will be retiring from Military service in the next few years, we will be purchasing just over 100 acres to built our home on. I enjoying shooting and with the amount of land I intend to have my own range to include long distance. I need a scope for my one of my SCAR 17's, I want it to be useful for CQB and distance, yes asking allot, I know. I've finalized my selection down the the Leupold Mark 8 1-8, Mark 6 1-6, Vortex 1-6 and maybe the NF 1-4?. All of them have very generous military discounts buying directly from them, my problem is I am not comfortable making a purchase without being to actually play with it in my hands first but I can't find them carried where I am currently stationed locally. So I am looking for input and as many pics as possible with these, especially at the range with varying distance targets. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yes, your asking for a lot and if our definition of distance is similar you would want at least 8X, you can never see to good ! As for CQB, not a big fan of acquiring a target at 10 feet with a scope, even on 1X, your still dealing with the box. Have you considered a RMR off-set for the up close and personal and add in the stress factor, for a point and shoot situation? The Mark 8 would be a awesome choice I'm sure, good luck !

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I agree with Boomslang. Leupold glass is amazing and I wouldn't hesitate to drop that amount of money on one again. I am actually running the set up like Boomslang described and I could not be happier. Good luck in your decision making process and here is an illustration :biggrin:

·
Registered
27 Posts
IMG_0118.JPG IMG_0054.JPG What range to you plan to shoot the SCAR out to? I went with the Mk8 CQBSS for an SR-25. That rifle, for me, is being set-up as a "long range" option. My SCAR Heavy wears a Trijicon TR24 1-4x. I run that gun as a close quarters to 400yd set-up, due to the fact that its more than a pound lighter than my SR25 APC. As far as "offset RMR vs. Eye relief of a scope at 1x": know what you're comfortable with and research product reviews. I run both of my magnified scopes just as comfortably/fast as I run my 1x Aimpoints (Aimpoint PRO, Aimpoint T1) and almost as fast as the Trijicon SRS (38mm)... but that's not for everyone. I have a good friend (HWalker84) who runs the Vortex Razor HD 1-6x (awesome optic for the money, BTW) just as fast as he does his red dots. IMHO, if you wanna run a 1x-? magnified scope: it's all about obtaining REPEATABLE head placement/cheek weld and having the scope mounted in a position that gives you proper eye relief. If not, you're going to hate whatever scope you get! The Nightforce NSX 1-4 is a VERY nice optic, but beware, it does NOT have daylight visible illumination. The Mk 8 CQBSS is an amazing scope but it does have 2 drawbacks IMO: The price and the illumination. While it is daylight bright, it has a problem with "shimmering" if you don't get the perfect cheek weld. It's rather annoying but I was able to find the "sweet spot" in short order... most CQBSS owners who give it a chance do also. The TR24 is one of my favorites, all things considered. The reticle is always as bright as you need it (fiber optic & tritium), its robust/well built and it can be had for a fraction of the cost as the rest of the scopes you mentioned. The Razor HD 1-6x is a very nice scope for the money: Daylight visible illumination, great price, clear glass... I just hate the reticle and the color (I know, its a stupid complaint), but they are supposed to be releasing new colors and new reticles this year. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there. I had the same dilemma that you're having (as did probably most people that purchase a Scar). My budget was a little lower than what you're looking at. I ended up purchasing last week a Leupold vx-6 1-6x24 illuminated firedot circle. Haven't had it out to the range yet, but this weekend is looking promising. I'm very impressed with the optic so far (just messing around in the yard and whatnot). Not sure if this helps, but it's what I ended up going with. Has a very nice clear non distorted true 1x. I'll try and get some outdoor pictures of it this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Right now I have a vortex viper 2.5-10x FFP and I love the clarity, the only problem I have is the rings/mount is sitting a little to low so it is not very comfortable for me to shoot. But like I said the scope is great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boom, I want to avoid the RMR offset if possible. Yes getting older means vision isn't getting any better...lol

Kameron, the angle with you RMR looks pretty rough when having to use it, do you have and range pic with it at 8x with a target of 600 yds or more?

BLace, looking to reach out with it up to 800yds which is why I am not really wanting less than a 1-6, but the NF 1-4 I could always find a use for, excuse to buy another gun! do you have and range pic with it at 8x with a target of 600 yds or more?

One Low, I can't disclose the MIL price from them, but lets just say its a Black Friday kind thing, but 365days of the year! Otherwise its well out of my range for glass.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BLace, looking to reach out with it up to 800yds which is why I am not really wanting less than a 1-6, but the NF 1-4 I could always find a use for, excuse to buy another gun! do you have and range pic with it at 8x with a target of 600 yds or more?
I don't, personally, but this is one of the many reviews I read that helped me. There are a few really good "Throuh the Scope" pics here:http://www.opticstalk.com/leupold-118-cqbss-review_topic30301.html If 800 yards is the goal then I think the cqbss is going to be hard to beat in a 1-?x magnified optic. The glass, is really amazing. Clear and bright, edge to edge. 8x at 300 yards is the furthest I've had it and it made hitting 18" steel plates child's play. I really can't imagine color, clarity and light transmission being any better in a 1x (1.1 actually). This guys review was VERY helpful too... a few pics at range and some comparisons with similar optics. He really shows you the difference in the Mk8's picture vs. the competition: Sniper's Hide - Long Range Shooting, Precision Marksmanship, Gear Testing & Reviews - Scout Front Page

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Boom, I want to avoid the RMR offset if possible. Yes getting older means vision isn't getting any better...lol

Kameron, the angle with you RMR looks pretty rough when having to use it, do you have and range pic with it at 8x with a target of 600 yds or more?

One Low, I can't disclose the MIL price from them, but lets just say its a Black Friday kind thing, but 365days of the year! Otherwise its well out of my range for glass.
Ghostrider the RMR is a very quick, right there option, both eyes open point and shoot. I run it on a 1:00 mount or for me being a lefty at the 11:00 position, very minimal cant to rifle and your there. Kam is running the 45* mount, a little more cant but your bore axis is parallel, I tried it first then went to the 1:00 mount, quicker for me and POI change is minimal to me at my user distance. Just a option.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ghostrider the RMR is a very quick, right there option, both eyes open point and shoot. I run it on a 1:00 mount or for me being a lefty at the 11:00 position, very minimal cant to rifle and your there. Kam is running the 45* mount, a little more cant but your bore axis is parallel, I tried it first then went to the 1:00 mount, quicker for me and POI change is minimal to me at my user distance. Just a option.
I know, for me personally, the idea of a NF F1 2.5-10 or 3.5-15x +an offset RMR was intriguing. I just wasn't comfortable dropping that kind of coin on a optics set-up that I've never tried. My buddy is coming in from VA for a Battle Rifle class we're taking on Saturday. He has a NF 2.5-10 with an offset RMR on his SCAR... I'm going to give it a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts