FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend was helping me out cleaning some guns after a recent trip to the range, While cleaning my ar15 she used a patch that was too big and now the rod is stuck in the barrel. I tried pulling it and pushing it out and even spraying some wd40 down the barrel hoping that would do the trick to loosen it up. If anyone had some suggestions or tips I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Wow, it must be stuck in there good.

For starts, WD40 is a water displacer... is does lub a little but that's not its real purpose. Anyway... is the rod aluminum? If so, you may try clamping down on it with vice grips and see if you can twist it a little back and forth, the cotten fibers may start to release a little.

Or clamp down on the rod with a bench vise and try pulling the gun off the rod that way. It may just loosen up some over night on it's own.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Well, this might be a bit crazy and dangerous......perhaps someone else can suggest a better idea......

Once I fired a round and it was a dud. The slug was about half way down the barrel, before the gas tube mind you. I tried to get it out. went to the gunsmith and he loaded a blank. Boom, it was out just like that.

That can be really dangerous mind you. If that happened again I would probably go to the same gunsmith and would NOT use a blank myself.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I guess you could take a wooden dowel rod and put it in from the other end and then pound the dowel down on the floor.

·
Registered
408 Posts
wooden dowel... DO NOT hit the cleaning rod.
Rather than use a blank, What about an air compressor with a rubber nozzle? I've done that before, it works pretty well, just make sure to have your safety glasses on and clear the area, because it'll come out with some force.

Zhur

·
Registered
212 Posts
One more vote for wooden dowel and judicious use of hammer, etc.

While the compressed air may work, you will be creating a projectile if you do it... so stay safe, and use a rod/dowel. Dowel will be best since it can't damage barrel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys

thanks guys, I used what Texas Armadillo said, clamp it down with some vice grips gave a few turns and came right out. I couldn't push or pull it after spraying wd 40, wouldn't budge a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts